Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: "Someone should make a UFC/MMA thread"

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Yeah, Silva should have been warned for that crap way earlier than he did .
    You know, as much as Silva wasn't pressing the fight, that's his style and he's not the only one who wasn't pushing the offense the whole time. Could he have gone in and ended it quick? Probably, but he doesn't generally fight that way and there's no reason he should press the fight if he doesn't feel he has to to win. Unless you're talking about him basically taunting Maia, but I could care less about that; psyching out your opponent goes with the territory.

In the end though, if fans want more action in his fights then they should probably be asking why Dana White didn't give him an opponent that could provide a challenge, because Maia wasn't even close to being in Silva's league. It's not like it's the first time it's happened either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vi-ViPO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Yeah, Silva should have been warned for that crap way earlier than he did .
    You know, as much as Silva wasn't pressing the fight, that's his style and he's not the only one who wasn't pushing the offense the whole time. Could he have gone in and ended it quick? Probably, but he doesn't generally fight that way and there's no reason he should press the fight if he doesn't feel he has to to win. Unless you're talking about him basically taunting Maia, but I could care less about that; psyching out your opponent goes with the territory.

In the end though, if fans want more action in his fights then they should probably be asking why Dana White didn't give him an opponent that could provide a challenge, because Maia wasn't even close to being in Silva's league. It's not like it's the first time it's happened either.
    I disagree. There's taunting, and then there's what he did. It was pretty much just him sidestepping the whole time.
    To be fair to Maia, he did try to go on the offense in the last round, but as usual, Silva just dodged it and carried on sidestepping. It was a terrible fight, and I have no respect for Silva after that over the top taunting that went on for the whole fight.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Cropolite View Post
    I disagree. There's taunting, and then there's what he did. It was pretty much just him sidestepping the whole time.
    To be fair to Maia, he did try to go on the offense in the last round, but as usual, Silva just dodged it and carried on sidestepping. It was a terrible fight, and I have no respect for Silva after that over the top taunting that went on for the whole fight.
    There's nothing wrong with getting out of the way of an opponents attack. For the record, pretty much every time Maia came in, Silva got out of the way and struck back with some good shots, and then Maia would get scared and back off because Silva was just plain faster and better. It wasn't until the last round that desperation set in, Maia actually seemed to knock Silva off balance, but as soon as he recovered Maia backed off completely again. If you want to blame anyone for the slow fight you have to blame both of them. Because Silva had clearly won by the end of the third. The only chance Maia had was to finish the fight and he did nothing.

It only takes one person to push the fight, but it takes two to stand there staring at each other.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Silva vs. Maia was a terrible fight, and Silva does carry a good portion of the blame. He pushed the fight at various points early on, but at some point in the second round spent most of the round simply taunting and urging his opponent to come at him. I don't really see how he could be punished or even warned by the UFC for it, but it is annoying to watch. I am glad the crowd started booing him.

Other thoughts on 112:

What a strong comeback for Munoz, after getting his ass kicked in round 1.

The first two rounds of Hughes vs. Gracie were godawful boring. Round 3 picked up, but I don’t know wtf Hughes was thinking continually backing off. The match should have been over two minutes earlier.

I like how the replays between rounds of Edgar vs. Penn only show hits by Penn; this was especially blatant after round 4 when Penn only contacted with literally two punches and Edgar otherwise controlled it. I have it Edgar definitively winning the last two rounds, probably the third round, and the others close. I thought Edgar deserved it, but was surprised by him actually winning it; I did not expect the judges to give away Penn’s title without more.

Outside of Penn losing his title, 112 was not as enjoyable as I was expecting.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED

THE MACHIDA ERROR HAS BEEN CORRECTED

WAR. smurfING. SHOGUN.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

3:35 minutes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That was an exciting UFC! Not only did Shogun definitively stomp on Machida, but the earlier fights were entertaining as well. Koscheck v. Daley was the only kind of boring fight, but even that was livened up by Koscheck being a douchebag and Daley's cheap shot after the fight.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Entertaining UFC 114, though Rashad Evans won so we'll have to see him again. I was cheering Brilz on for the huge upset, and while the fans chanted "bull," I think the first round was too close to say for sure either way (round 2 definitely Brilz, round 3 definitely Nog).

Duffee vs. Russow was crazy. Duffee lands about 80 punches, and only the second or third punch Russow manages to land, well into the 3rd round... and lights out. Wow.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Rampage looked like , I was horribly distraught about the whole thing. Though, a bit confused as to why he refused to push on and turn Rashad's lights out when he had him wobbled, second time in two fights Rashad has been let off the hook by an opponent (thought to be fair, Thiago Silva was gassed to hell when he had him rocked, Rampage doesn't have that excuse). Very disappointing after all the hype, hope 'Page gets his head back in the game and comes back strong. If he gets back in the cage soon, I feel sorry for whoever his next opponent is.

Diego getting smashed up by Hathaway was a surprise, but fair play to Hathaway put on a good performance.

Lil Nog vs Brilz was a sick fight, I scored it for Brilz but wasn't disappointed to see Nog pull out the victory. Massive credit to Brilz for his performance on short notice and the way he conducted himself afterwards, must have won himself huge amount of fans.

Bisping vs Miller was a pretty boring fight, the Counts pillowfists not doing a whole lot and Miller inexplicably refusing to take it to the ground, no idea what that was all about.

And yeah Duffee/Russow was hilariously crazy. have never seen anything so random in my entire life, awesome turnaround shot. That's the beauty of the Heavyweight division though, a KO can come from absolutely anywhere at that size.

Overall yeah I thought it was an entertaining night of fights, but the results weren't how I would have preferred them.

115 is going to be a joke card, Ace is going to retire Liddell. Cro Cop is always worth tuning in for though, and I'm pretty hyped to see how Paulo Thiago goes against Kampmann, rate him quite a lot and if he gets past Kampmann he should be right up there for a shot at GSP. No idea how Koscheck deserves a title shot over Thiago, at the very least pubehead should have had to rematch Thiago before getting GSP. Until the AKA welterweight bumlove trio Swick, Koscheck and Fitch man up and fight each other none of them should get a shot at the belt anyway, bunch of ponces. Other than that nothing on the card really interests me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

UFC 115 was last weekend. I watched it yesterday, so let's see how much detail I remember.

Condit v. MacDonald was crazy. I know MacDonald was getting the crap beat out of him, but I'm not sure how you can stop that fight with less than 10 seconds left without a full KO.

Go Cro Cop! I enjoy watching him kick ass.

The announcers were saying Chuck Liddell is done for good... 2 minutes after saying he was the best they'd seen him. Wtf? Still, Franklin knocking him out with a potentially broken left arm was great.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I doubt it's the last we see of Liddell, anyway. It's not like he's the oldest fighter to have fought in the UFC :p. Randy Couture is what, 45? He still won his last two fights.
    Last edited by Mirage; 06-15-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Still haven't watched the whole PPV yet, Cro Cop had me in raptures though. Loved the entire fight, loved the hug, loved the repeated head kicks, loved the flurry of Combos that put Barry on his ass, loved the campaigning for the sub of the night bonus (tax free, of course). Was awesome.

Liddell vs Ace was awesome as well, great fight, especially considering Ace's broken arm. What a legendary hero he is. But to be fare to Goldie and Rogan, Chuck WAS looking miles better than he has in his last 5 fights until he got sparked. It's just the fact that he got completely wasted with what looked to be a fairly innocuous punch that means he's done. Doesn't matter how much better his offense is looking, his chin is completely gone and there's nothing he can do about that. For his sake it should be his last fight, can't compare him to Couture because they've had completely different career paths and fought completely different styles. Chuck relies too much on his reflexes and chin to get him by in fights, his actual defence is pretty poor, and both of those are shot to hell. He can't hack it anymore and they shouldn't let him fight again.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Holy . Hooooooly . That was one of the best nights of fights I've seen in a long time. Crazy good fun to watch!

Gotta start with Brock, man, so much respect for him right now, I thought he was dead and buried, you could see straight away from the first punch that he did not like Carwins power at all. And the relentless ground and pound, for like 4 minutes of the first round, just to survive that alone is insane. The choke out victory was hilariously awesome as well.

Sexyama/Leben was an awesome fight, but like I thought Sexyama paid the price for standing in front of Leben and exchanging with him, came off worse and gassed because of it. I really wanted him to win that fight, but how can you not love Leben? two weeks after taking out highly rated Aaron Simpson, he steps up to take on and take out Akiyama? with a TRIANGLE CHOKE? And those double punches he was doing to his head, my god I was dying. In raptures. And then he called out Wanderlei. The whole fight was awesome as well, just two guys absolutely refusing to go down. Beautiful.

Lytle vs Brown was good as well, lots of mixed action on the feet and on the floor, and we got to see some nice stuff from Lytle, the whole triangle mount/armbar combination was really cool to see.

Polish Experiment vs Bonnar was a crazy fight as well, Bonnar is a god damn madman who is going to have brain damage in about 5 years if he keeps going on the way he is, but again it was just two guys throwing everything they had and leaving it all in the cage, back and forth action. Sweet as hell.

Finally, was stoked again for George Sotiropoulos, another great performance from him, showing off his classy BJJ skills. I just wish, wish, wish he had power in his hands, he's so damn featherfisted. If he had the power he'd be an absolute monster. Still, love him and his style and it was great to watch.

God I'm so hyped now. That was AWESOME

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Brock Lesnar is a smurfing titan. A troll. A golem. Something. I don't know.

Firstly, that was the greatest UFC I've seen, man that was some hot . I wasn't too happy with the results of the Lesnar & Akiyama fights, but they were awsome to watch.

I actually thought Akiyama did well standing up against Leben, and watching those two duke it out blow for blow in the second round was the greatest thing ever.
    I also didn't think Lesnar was so hot tbh. Put up against an opponent that was used to being in more than one round and I think he would have been out. It'll be interesting seeing his next fight.