Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: "Someone should make a UFC/MMA thread"

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Holy crap man. Was expecting a great card, was generally disappointed with how it turned out (wanted Leben to win, Guida/Gomi wasn't as epic as I hoped it would be, Vera/Silva was...weird. But funny. DHK/Diaz was an interesting ground battle but not a lot happened) and was expecting the main event to be a turd...turns out might have been the fight of the year on the first card of the year haha. What an absolutely amazing fight. Wanted Edgar to win and was distraught in the first, man he got completely smurfed up. But what an absolute hero to come back into it the way he did. That massive slam was a thing of beauty. Smashed Maynard with some beautiful shots and combos as well (poor bastard, I wish he was bigger. he would be a beast. Imagine him at Feather/Bantamweight, he would destroy guys.) and turned in two awesome rounds. Last round was incredibly close, I actually thought Maynard had done just about enough in the last round to pull out the victory, but really happy it went to a draw just because Edgar did not deserve to lose for the amount of balls he showed. Great, great fight, and I think there's no way Edgar makes the same mistakes in a rematch and takes a comprehensive victory. Looking forward to it.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Holy crap that was an EPIC fight between Edgar and Maynard. Edgar was DESTROYED in the first round, and made one of the biggest comebacks that I've ever seen (to possibly even rival Hughes vs. Trigg 2). That slam in round 2, little Edgar picking up the bigger Maynard, was absolutely glorious.

I don't know what the griping was about; I actually scored the fight 47-47 myself (1: 10-8 Maynard; 3: 10-9 Maynard; and 2, 4, 5: 10-9 Edgar). The last round Edgar had significantly more hits than Maynard, and before the last 10 seconds Maynard basically only had 2 landed punches and several failed takedowns. I agree with the two judges who gave Edgar the last round, though I don't agree with the one who apparently also gave him the 3rd round.

The rest of the UFC was fairly meh. I never expected so much of a Guida fight to be... well, boring.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Holy crap that was an EPIC fight between Edgar and Maynard. Edgar was DESTROYED in the first round, and made one of the biggest comebacks that I've ever seen (to possibly even rival Hughes vs. Trigg 2). That slam in round 2, little Edgar picking up the bigger Maynard, was absolutely glorious.

I don't know what the griping was about; I actually scored the fight 47-47 myself (1: 10-8 Maynard; 3: 10-9 Maynard; and 2, 4, 5: 10-9 Edgar). The last round Edgar had significantly more hits than Maynard, and before the last 10 seconds Maynard basically only had 2 landed punches and several failed takedowns. I agree with the two judges who gave Edgar the last round, though I don't agree with the one who apparently also gave him the 3rd round.

The rest of the UFC was fairly meh. I never expected so much of a Guida fight to be... well, boring.
    That fight was glorious. I really thought Maynard was going to finish. I think a rematch is fair, but it's even less likely Maynard will do anything this time. It's easy to underestimate an opponent when you dominate him the first time. (The last Penn/Hughes fight comes to mind.) Since Maynard about took him down, and Edgar still won it proves to me that Edgar has achieved another level. He'll take a rematch seriously, and his skill set should make him the winner yet again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Goddammit Silva.

So I finally finished watching 126. Except for the Griffin/Franklin fight, it was kinda meh. The first two fights were kinda boring, though the judge who scored the Ellenberger/Rocha fight 30-27 Rocha must've been high the whole time (although the two rounds Ellenberger won were certainly boring).

And then the Silva fight. Silva losing would've made the entire card for me. Alas. It was an impressive KO, though. And did Goldberg really say Silva had a lot of class at the end? Silva?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

other than Andersons hilarity 126 was wank so cba to comment

what I can be arsed to comment on is Strikeforce, they've been putting out really good shows for the last few months and nothing changed tonight. Awesome show, 5 fights on the main card, 5 finishes, 4 in the first round. Can't complain about that!

said to Paul before the fight that I had a good feeling about Bigfoot Silva and thought he might shock the world tonight but man I did not expect him to win so convincingly. Absolutly beat the out of Fedor, was hilariously bad. Fedors face was terrible at the end of the fight. Pretty happy for Silva, deserves it and really looking forward to seeing how the Strikeforce tournament turns out now, can't wait for Overeem/Werdum. also can't wait for Sherdog forums to stop being flooded with Fedor Nuthuggers wanting to cry about everything who are killing the servers, so I can laugh at their tears.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Why isnt there anyone who can beat Silva :/
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

recorded something that should be quite good tonight
    Fight Girls
    anyone seen this?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

RIP Fedor.

"A wizard did it".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I finally got around to watching UFC 128. My thoughts:

Big KO from Schaub on Cro Cop. Cro Cop has been very disappointing lately. He is getting too old.

Some more stoppages from Miller and Jon Jones. Jones needs to work at his cardio, as it seemed like the only reason Shogun wasn't TKO'd in the first round was Jones backing off and breathing hard. Jones could still hit quick in the third, but he seemed to take every possible moment to take a break. Very disappointing outing by Shogun.

UFC 129 has a GSP match as well as the featherweight championship, so that should be a good night. At least after the snooze fest of another Couture fight, except... oh my, is Couture fighting a real fighter for once?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

129, other than the utter shietfest of a main event, was a smurfing great event. Multiple german suplexes, backfist KO of utter death, Flying triangle sub from a first round war, nose broken with an elbow, some random half korean Michael Jackson lookalike getting pissed off at a poncy ginger and wrecking him with knees, 40 year old russian wasting a poncy american wrestler poof in 20 seconds, Machida crane kicking Handy into retirement and the 5 round war between Aldo and Hominick that left the canuck with some monsterous growth on his forehead. Was an awesome night up until GSP and Shields.

Machida's karate kid was probably the most hilariously awesome thing i've ever seen, best way for Handy to end his career as well. Quite like Ben Henderson, glad he smashed up that ginger ponce Bocek, hope he goes on to do well in the 155 division in the UFC.

Main event though, so bad, no idea what the smeg Shields was trying to accomplish completely giving up on trying to take the fight into his strongest area, didn't even attempt to pull guard or anything. And I respect GSP a lot, definitely P4P best fighter in the world, but I just don't get what he's trying to accomplish out there sometimes, it seems like he doesn't actually like being a fighter. I'm not sold anymore on the idea that he's a fantastic striker either, he threw literally three strikes for 25 minutes, a jab, the worst overhand right in history and a spinning back kick that he didn't do properly anyway. Apart from the left head kick he threw a couple of times, which actually worked, that's all he did. I get he's gimped ever since Serra smurfed him up, but in his quest to get through fights taking the least damage possible, he's completely lost the ability to strike with any kind of fluidity. Didn't throw a single meaningful combination the entire night, best it got was jab-worst overhand of all time. Especially after watching Aldo and Hominick, who both can put together fantastically varied and smooth combo's, he looked like shiet.

Obv the eye injury affected his performance, but at the same time it goes back to his unwillingness to put himself in danger, because the longer a fight drags on the more likely it'll be he gets caught with something like that, especially when he's not using his wrestling because of his opponents ground game. I'm not even sold on the way he throws his jabs, although it was better than his overhand and back kick. Rumour is that Dana is going to try and set up GSP vs Nick Diaz, and on the evidence of last night, even though he'll be a heavy underdog coming into the fight I would probably feel that Diaz would smash GSP up. Be interesting to see where it goes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Ok, just watched 136, and decided this thread needed to be revived.

WOW. 136 started out entertaining, and the main event made it even more great. Maynard vs. Edgar 2 started out the same (though Maynard did not get a 10-8 this time), and Edgar came back flawlessly. I think Maynard landed all of 3-4 punches for the rest of the fight. And Edgar finished it with a flurry of punches for the TKO! Edgar is just amazing. Loved it.

I predicted as much after the first fight. Maynard is really good, but Edgar is great.

Which sucks for me because I like Maynard more. Oh well!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    recorded something that should be quite good tonight
    Fight Girls
    anyone seen this?
    I've never been a big fan of female-only competition, to be honest. Not because I have anything against girls, but because I know that even if I enjoy it, somewhere else in the world, someone else is watching it at the same time as me and masturbating to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Wow, Henderson vs. Shogun was a bloodfest. Henderson beat up on Shogun for the first three rounds, and then Shogun tried to make a comeback. I am disappointed the judges didn't give Shogun a 10-8 for the last round. We had the rest scored the same (Henderson 3-2 for rounds won), and a 10-8 would have made it a tie.

A couple of other good fights earlier on -- Faber vs. Bowles and Silva vs. Le. I liked Cung Le. He lost to Wanderlei Silva in a flurry of punches, but anyone who throws a ton of spin kicks is all right by me. He even rocked Silva with one of his spinning backfist combinations.

I haven't had a chance to see it, but I was hoping for Cung Le. Drat!

Does anyone else want another Dan Henderson/Anderson Silva matc-up?

I think Dan deserves another go.