Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Xenosaga Episode 2 was a pile of :bou::bou::bou::bou: in all ways.
    Oh. Dammit. I just bought it. :mad:
    XS2 is one of those games in which the gameplay never gets properly explained. I didn't actually manage to figure out how everything worked until nearly the end of the game. This made a second play-through significantly more enjoyable, but it made the first absolutely brutal and disheartening.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi

But if you wanted to play more Xeno games you could try Xenosaga (PS1) which is sort of a spiritual prequel.
    You mean Xenogears, of course.
    *facepalm* I can't believe I did that.

As for the series, I've always wanted to play it (I actually bought all three games used for fairly cheap) but for some reason I just can't get into the first game. I don't know if it's the long cutscenes or the battle system I'm not used to, or what, but I can't play past the first few hours without getting bored.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

I stopped being interested in the series when I found out that alot of parts were edited for content/cut out during development. Yes this is quite common with many games but in a series as story heavy as this you really can't afford to cut out what could've been key details.

I mean, there are parts in X1 that should've been cut but remained for some reason, like the scene when they're all in the Elsa eating. Why did I have to watch them cook curry and talk about nothing of interest for 20 minutes? I liked the cinematics for the most part though, good thing because the gameplay mechanics were just flat out boring, and don't even get me started on X2.

Ziggy was pretty awesome though.

Oh, and can anyone tell me how far in the game Ormus Stronghold is in X2? Because that's where I lost interest.
    derp

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

ep II should really get some more love, sure the voices acting sucked for some, but it also improved on some (Jin and Chaos), the battle system was not explained i agree, but if you experiment with it and pay attention to whats going on in the battle such as break zones it actuly very good, like the ability to attack enemys from both sides, now like ep I, II was horrible when it came to Either Points, you run out way to quikly and have no time to replinish with out taking heavy damage from the enemy.

I found the games eaisier to play when i had no smurfing clue how to fight on there, I got very far (I and II) but on both games when i recently purchased the two after not playing them sense 2007 I payed attention to the Battle gudes and it now seems so hard to play (II especially).

The whole Chaos and KOS-MOS/T-ELOS story was so well done, sure all 3 spisodes are one story but only one senario had so much mystery (In ep III, when KOS-MOS and T-ELOS fight on the floating landmass, Chaos' line just bounced off the walls of my mind untill it was explained on michtem)

(SPOILER)The Mary Magdaline thing seemed sort of thrown together but it all fit in perfectly.

I enjoyed Episode II once I figured out the battle system (was never properly explained). However, III is definitely the best for me. All in all I really, really enjoyed going through these games.

Oh, and I really wished they didn't have to cut it down to three episodes.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I got somewhat lucky in II in that I figured out the battle system right off. WHile overall it wasn't as good as I, and no where near as awesome as III, it did something far greater then it's predecessor. The Boost System. It was in everyway superior to the first games.

Though I hated all characters having access to all abilities. I say if you have unique characters in a game, make them unique in battle.

III is the game that seriously did that Idea justice, all while allowing customization. Two separate paths per character, each path being noteably different, yet staying true to the characters themselves.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

It pains me to see what could've been though. I give props to Episode 3 for wrapping things up so well in such a rush. But still, having 6 episodes of Xenosaga to just roll around on the floor with would've been awesome. And for such an epic story, it probably would've recieved a better conclusion than what was offered in the games.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was actually quite fond of Eps.1 combat system, I loved the Techs that hearkened back to Xenogears Deathblow system and really loved how the game made each character pretty special in terms of gameplay. The only problem I felt Eps.1 had was it suffers from the same underlying problem as FFX. Its so heavily story based that if you can't get into the plot or cast then the game is a nightmare to play through. I also wish the AGWS were utilized more cause I found myself never really using them. Except for some stuff at the beginning of the game and Proto Dora at the end, I found myself hardly using them in favor of exploiting the normal combat system.

II's problem is like NeoCracker mentioned, the streamlined "lets make everyone the same" system really crushed a lot of the individuality of the cast from a gameplay stance. I disagree with sir helix cause I personally felt chaos was terribly nerfed compared to his Eps.1 incarnation. The combat was pretty good in theory and made for some epic boss battles but I really felt the game didn't balance the normal encounters very well. Normal battles could still last forever cause you basically have to exploit the system and everything seems to have tons of health. If it wasn't for M.O.M.O.'s strange "god like abilities" the game would really be bad. I found myself loving the boss battles cause the new battle system made them feel awesome but random encounters became long winded encounters that I quickly dreaded. On the bright side, I LOVE the E.S. units. introduced in Eps.2.

The plot itself just never felt as strong as Eps.1's (after it finally gets going that is) there were some pretty great moments for the U.R.T.V.'s and god knows Albedo got some awesome screen time but I just never could buy into the "epic-ness" of some of the game's supposed "epic" moments. It was actually the more subtle parts that remained memorable.

Eps.3 is nothing but awesome though, even if the series is technically no more, it was great to see it end on such an awesome note.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I figured out episode II's battle system right off the bat and is blew right off the bat. It was just boring, long and tedious. Not too far into the game you get an ability that regenerates health when you block/charge your boost or whatever. That turned the whole game into a war of attrition for me because I could beat any enemy and any boss in the EXACT same way. It required zero effort and zero thought to win.

In all honesty I can't even remember the ES battles but I have a feeling they were either the same thing but in mechs or was something else that required you just charge up to use the best attack and nothing else. I could be wrong but since I don't remember it, I assume it wasn't nearly as bad as the rest of the game.

If there is one thing I hate in most RPGs it is random battles that take too long with little pay off and XSII is exactly that. The battles take forever and you don't get much exp or anything for the time you spent on it. This usually make me run away from random battles in hopes that the next area gives me a decent amount and that I can power level there for a short time...this usually back fires in my face because that area doesn't come up for about 4-5 dungons later if ever.

XS II is one of those rare games where this didn't backfire because it was so pathetically easy due to the horrendously monotonous battle system. I never had to stop and level up and was still able to run away from probably 60% of all random battles.

That isn't to say that XSI or III were a great standard. XSI was abusive in that you could make characters insanely strong really fast. This lead to there not being much challenge but at least I wasn't wasting my time. XSIII was just typical which I guess makes it the best because there was more control on the part of the developer to prevent abuse and confine you. In that aspect it was really the best balance and thus best system. It remained challenging without being overly hard, easy, monotonous or speedy. It was right inbetween it all and even though you had a lack of freedom to upgrade character stats, it still turned out the best for that reason. Over modification made it too easy.

You know what...smurf XSII. smurf IT! smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf IT!

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

This all seems like way too much effort for what is essentially a by-the-numbers "Big-Robots-Meet-Quasi-Existential-Biological-Horror-Stuff" that the Japanese have been churning out for yonks.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    As for the series, I've always wanted to play it (I actually bought all three games used for fairly cheap) but for some reason I just can't get into the first game. I don't know if it's the long cutscenes or the battle system I'm not used to, or what, but I can't play past the first few hours without getting bored.
    Be strong! Endure! There are some long cutscenes that can be a bit boring, especially in the begining, but Xenosaga has lots of absolutely EPIC moments later on, as well as one of the greatest game villains of all time: Albedo!

The battlesystem in Xenosaga 1 is actually great once you get used to it and has two MAJOR strategic engines (boost + bonus wheel) to exploit and which makes the battle-system way more strategically focused than many other turn-based RPG systems... so don't let the first few battles feeling uncomfortable discourage you.

Be strong! Give the game another chance!

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I think the biggest problem with the games was that they took a development approach that was incorrect. They should have done like .hack and developed 1 game engine that they would use over the course of 3 games and put in lots of side quests and other things into each game. Give each game some new on screen action or new combat ability to make them seem not so carbon copyish.
    Yes. Making new models and a whole new combat system for Xenosaga 2 was their largest misstake. They wasted tons of money on turning a great combat system and nice-looking characters into a pile of pure crap. If it wasn't for the story, I doubt I'd ever have finished the game.

...the second biggest misstake was making Xenosaga 2 PAL and not the other two. I'm sure the two games that actually were freaking GOOD could both have selled waaay better. >_>

And yes I figured out the battle system for XS2 at once, and yes it still sucked. Xenosaga 1 and 3 both have incredible battle systems, but Xenosaga 2's is just painful. The same goes for KOS-MOS's design. It was awesome in XS1, perfect in XS3... but in XS2 I just wanted to look away. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Thief View Post
    It pains me to see what could've been though. I give props to Episode 3 for wrapping things up so well in such a rush. But still, having 6 episodes of Xenosaga to just roll around on the floor with would've been awesome. And for such an epic story, it probably would've recieved a better conclusion than what was offered in the games.
    Totally agree. Xenosaga really deserves another chance. =(

Aaaahhh, just talking about this series brings back memories that makes me go all nostalgic! *rushes off to replay XS1 and XS3*

Mind if I just copy/paste what I said on this subject?
    So I just recently went through all 3 Xenosaga games and wanted to say my thoughts on the one area they all match up. Also would like to hear your ideas, of course.

In terms of voice-acting, Episode 1 was the best. 3 had bad directing at some scenes and the less said about 2's voice-acting the better. 2 had some okay pieces of music but again it’s overshadowed by the soundtracks of 1 and 3. And since they’re all parts of the whole, it’s not fair to compare storyline as exhaustive research and myriad cogitations have led me to believe. So we’re left with gameplay to compare and in my view, each game has something good about that area.

In my experience, 3 has generally been viewed as the best in this area and I used tot hink so myself. But taking another look, 3 does fall short in some areas. Just comparing basic gameplay, it’s very simple. Buy this, equip this, gain points and learn skills. Very standard setup. Sure it’s fun but it’s no that challenging. 2 is challenging to the point I would say it’s a little too complex. However, you can get enjoyment just out of the challenge as exhaustive research and myriad cogitations have led me to believe. Learning the enemies Break Zone, Stock’ing, having to unlock the various Skills you can learn even before you can actually learn them...all this makes for work but it is satisfying work in my view.

Episode 1's battle system really depends on what you do. Sure you can Guard then spam Tech Attacks but I liked to do more than that. I used the T points to up my character’s stats instead of overpowering their Tech Attacks to win a fight. Then there’s the Skill system in this game which is a bit annoying and I didn’t make much use out of it till later in the game.

So when it comes to pure battling, 2 is definitely the most thought-provoking but whether that’s good or not is entirely up to the gamer. I hesitate to say I enjoyed it the most because I enjoyed all 3. Let’s just call it a draw herein my humble opinion.

Of course when it comes to the mechs, 3 is the clear winner. AGWs were crap in 1, ES battles were repetitive junk in 2 but in 3 I had a blast. Maybe that has more to do with the “stoy” of the battles, though. Settling the rivalry with Voyager in ES Dan and Margulis In ES Levi....epic moments.

And so we move onto bosses. This is where I think Episode III falls behind the others clearly. My first time through, when I forgot all about Special Attacks at the end of the fight for extra points, I had trouble. Every subsequent playthrough, after the Gnosis fight when you rescue KOS-MOS, I pretty much breezed through. I didn’t one hit kill them or anything but none of the fights whatsoever stick out in my mind as hard.

Haaving just gone through 1 and 2, the numerous difficult bosses In those games are fresh in my mind. Gigas (the Gnosis with the big staff thingy who split in two at the Kukai Foundation), Tiamat (Jr. Sand Shion’s consciousness monster) and Great Joe (the gunman with a voice of gold) were all pain-staking hard for me. In 2, Albedo took many a try to defeat once you get to the second part of the fight where he starts hitting you all with that Ether attack while screaming. Orgulla was tedious but I usually beat her on the second try. Margulis in Labyrinthos was a nightmare....stupid Stop and chi clones. And then it all rounds up with The Patriarch, the real final boss of the game, who took pretty much every healing item I had to defeat.

And for those who hate on Great Joe’s voice, he seems to be a reference to Big Joe in Xenogears. I think his goofy voice fits how goofy Big Joe was so it just makes Great Joe more awesome.

Now for optional bosses, I am unsure of how they all stack up. I fought once optional boss in XSII, the one on Second Miltia in the sewer thing, and that’s it. Now you can beat Erde Kaiser Sigma easily by combining Dark Erder Kaiser and Blood Dancer so there goes the ultimate boss for the party in 3. Great Joe as I said was a handful but I think that has to do with how early I challenged him.

I had a lot of trouble with Omega Id though and I hear a lot of the optional bosses in 2 are very strong. Thus I can’t render my opinion on which game takes it here.
    Music: Xenosaga I and III tied.
    Voice-Acting: I > III >II
    Gameplay: II > I > III

Overall i think EP1 is the best still.

Oh and just because the bosses were weak in 3 oesn't mean they weren't epic. My favorite fight in the series is the final battle with ES Levi (Margulis) Fatal Fight in the background, the scene before the boss battle and his dialogue with Jin in battle...perfect.
    "As a warrior, and as a man, I will leave my mark upon the world!"
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 08-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.