Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy V Low Level 0 ABP 0% Challenge (This whole thread may contain spoilers)

I think the Gaia Gears helped against Ramuh by nullifying his Electrocute skill, but that battle is very easy, anyway. You should be fine without them.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 09-06-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Preparation:

Flew to Library of the Ancients to grab Cid & Mid, then headed over to the Desert of the Shifting Sands with them. Went through the scene until they asked me if I was ready to fight the Sandworm so that I didn't have to sit through it each time I failed. Refused, then went just outside and set up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Ninja F Kunai  Kunai    GreenB NinjaS -
    Lenna 2 Free  F Whip   MythrilS GreenB NinjaS Flame Ring
    Galuf 2 Ninja F Kunai  Kunai    GreenB NinjaS -
    Faris 3 Free  F Ashura -        GreenB NinjaS Flame Ring
    Saved, of course.

Sandworm:

Had Bartz and Galuf throw a Water Scroll right off the bat. Water Scrolls do about 1000 damage, give or take 30 or 40. Since the Sandworm has 3000 HP, I wanted to aim for about 1960 damage with the first two scrolls, leaving Sandworm at right around 1040 HP left. If they didn't do enough damage, I'd lay a Whip slash on him, or if they did a little too much I'd throw him a potion. Anything to put him around that target of 1040 HP on the Ninjas' next turn. Unfortunately, Sandworm uses Quicksand really often, which kills everyone. I Kept my fingers crossed. Eventually he just resorted to attacks, allowing me to get off my third, and final, Water Scroll. Immediately killed off Bartz and Galuf and ended the fight with attacks from Lenna and Faris.

Preparation:

Quickly saved outside after beating Sandworm, then trekked through the Shifting Sands to the Town of Ruin. Before entering I went ahead and switched everyone back to Freelancers, optimized them, and threw them in the back row.

Went through the story sequences until the lift off of the airship.

Cray Claw:

Broke a couple of Thunder Rods over his head.

Preparation:

Flew straight to Istory and landed at the forest's edge. Set up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free  F Ashura    -        GreenB GaiaG  Angel
    Lenna 2 Blue  F MythrilS  -        GreenB NinjaS Angel
    Galuf 2 Free  F Ashura    -        GreenB GaiaG  Angel
    Faris 3 Time  F Frost Rod -        GreenB SilkR  Angel
    Ramuh:

Had Faris use Mute right off the bat. With Bartz, Lenna, and Galuf, I tried to do as much damage as possible with regular attacks before Flash went off. Once Ramuh used Flash, I killed off Lenna and Faris and broke Flame Rods until he gave up.

Preparation:

Flew over the town of Ruin to trigger the story sequence, then flew back to the undersea airship hangar near Crescent to progress the story.

Flew back to the Tycoon Meteor and landed just outside. Set up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free   B Frost Bow -        MythrilH NinjaS Flame
    Lenna 2 Free   B Frost Bow -        MythrilH NinjaS Flame
    Galuf 2 Knight B MythrilK  MythrilS
    Faris 3 Free   B Frost Bow -        MythrilH NinjaS Flame
    Brought Bartz down to Near Fatal status before saving.

Adamantoise:

Provided Admantoise doesn't kill Galuf before he can start using Guard every turn, it's impossible to lose this fight. Adamantoise starts with 2000 HP. I got him down to where one more Frost Bow arrow would do him in, then let Galuf go without Guard and get killed and had Bartz end it with one last attack.

You could always go into this fight with all Freelancers and simply break a couple Frost Rods for a quick victory, but the former method saves you some rods.

Preparation:

Flew back to the undersea airship hangar again and had Cid & Mid do their upgrade. Set up my party configuration outside:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free F CoralS -       GreenB NinjaS Flame
    Lenna 2 Free F CoralS -       GreenB NinjaS Flame
    Galuf 2 Free F CoralS -       GreenB NinjaS Flame
    Faris 3 Blue F CoralS -       GreenB NinjaS Flame
    Saved and ascended.

Assault on the Ronka Ruins Flying Fortress:

There are four battles which need to be fought before Soul Cannon will appear. Each of these four battles may be Flame Thrower x 2 or Rocket Launcher x 2. Both of these encounters teach a different Blue Magic: Flame Thrower and Missle, respectively. It is random which battle will be which, but I ensured that I fought each encounter at least once in order to learn both of these Blue Magics. Once I had learned both of these, I went ahead and changed Faris into a Freelancer as well for the remainder of the four battles so that I didn't have to worry about killing off Faris before winning.

Flame Thrower x 2:

These guys can't do anything other than the Flame Thrower skill, which will be absorbed thanks to the Flame Ring. I just made sure they used Flame Thrower on Faris before killing her off. Used regular attacks every turn.

Rocket Launcher x 2:

These guys require a lot of micromanagement, but they are still easy. Both of their attacks do a percentage of your current HP, so it is impossible for them to kill any party members directly, however, one of their attacks will cause Confuse status so that needs to be handled. Like with the Flame Thrower x 2 encounter, I did all of my damage here with regular attacks, and ensured that Faris had been hit with Missile at least once before killing her off. If a party member got confused with a Coral Sword in hand, I had the next member who got a turn swap out their Coral Sword for a Silver Harp, and attack the confused member to bring them back to their senses. If one of the members currently equpped with a Silver Harp got confused, I just let them be. These were tedious fights, but fairly straightforward.

Preparation:

After all four battles had been won, with both Blue Magics learned, I set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Ninja F Kunai  Kunai GreenB NinjaS Angel
    Lenna 2 Free  F CoralS -     GreenB NinjaS Angel
    Galuf 2 Free  F CoralS -     GreenB NinjaS Angel
    Faris 3 Ninja F Kunai  Kunai GreenB NinjaS Angel
    If the last of the four battles happened to be Rocket Launcher x 2, all party members should be at extremely low HP. In this case, only heal up Lenna and Galuf to full HP, and leave Bartz and Faris where they're at. If the battle was Flame Thrower x 2, all party members are probably completely healed--this is fine, too, but you'll have to work a little harder in fight against Soul Cannon.

Soul Cannon:

The key to winning this battle is throwing exactly ten Lightning Scrolls before Soul Cannon can get off his charge shot, along with as many regular attacks from Lenna and Galuf as you can pull off. As an additional hurdle, though, Bartz and Faris must be low on HP when Soul Cannon's charge shot goes off. This means that if you weren't lucky enough to start the battle with them low, you'll have to spare a couple of Lenna and Galuf's turns to hit them once. In this case, you may consider downgrading your sword--attacking with Coral Sword may kill them, and then you'll have to use another turn bringing them back with a phoenix down. I actually had to do that and I was still able to win, though, so there is a bit of flexibility here.

Try to have Lenna and Galuf ready with full ATB bars when Soul Cannon finally fires off his charge shot. This will kill Bartz and Faris and start quickly draining what little HP Lenna and Galuf still have, so you must act fast. Break Thunder Rods with both of them if necessary.

I messed up on this guy a couple of times due to carelessness and had to start over from the beginning, which was awful since the four preceeding battles are so tedious. The strategy is pretty straightforward, though, so just be careful.

For Ultima Shadow: I believe you'll need 5-6 extra Thunder Rods when you get here since you'll have Faris as a Freelancer. You should be able to substitute half of the Lightning Scrolls for broken Thunder Rods with Faris. The rest of the strategy should be the same.

Preparation:

Went back down to the surface and saved. Took a trip back to Karnak to buy some extra Whips from the wandering NPC in the weapon/armor shop. Bought four of his other wares, too, for the Hell of it.

Time to learn some more Blue Magic. Need more Jackanapes! Followed the previous strategy to catch 2 Aegirs with Bartz and Galuf, then exchanged them for Jackanapes. Finally, I flew to the Ship Graveyard to have Faris catch a Mindflusher from below deck on one of the ships. Landed my airship just outside of the Library of the Ancients and set up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free B Whip   MythrilS MythrilH NinjaS Flame
    Lenna 2 Blue B CoralS MythrilS GreenB   NinjaS Flame
    Galuf 2 BM   B Whip   -        GreenB   NinjaS Flame
    Faris 3 BM   B Whip   -        GreenB   NinjaS Flame
    Healed up everyone except for Lenna, who was at 44/46 HP. This is important, you want Lenna to be close to full HP so that she can take a hit, but not full HP so you can tell if Transfusion hits her in the following battle.

Set ATB to Active and saved the game.

Learning Blue Magic: Transfusion

Pure Hell. This is toughest part of the challenge so far, but it was very satisfying to finally pull off. Get your calculator ready and type in 600 to start.

Encountered Mythril Dragon x 3 in the forests surrounding the Library of the Ancients.

Began the battle with Faris releasing Mindflusher. If it failed to confuse one of the Mythril Dragons, I'd reset.

Lenna was always the next turn for me, so I'd immediately have her get a Phoenix Down ready to be used on the confused Mythril Dragon and wait for him to use Transfusion. If, during this wait, a party member was killed off by the other dragons or the confused dragon attacked himself, I'd reset.

As soon as I saw Transfusion being used, I'd confirm the Phoenix Down use on the confused Mythril Dragon. If I didn't see Lenna's HP fill to max, I'd reset.

If I had not reset the game at this point, I felt that I had a good chance of finally getting this battle out of the way. The Mythril Dragon which was just brought back to life with the Phoenix Down requires four slashes from the Whip before he can be caught, so I got those off as soon as possible, using Lenna to feed the other members Phoenix Downs and Potions as necessary throughout the remainder of the battle. After the revived Mythril Dragon had been whipped four times, I chose another Mythril Dragon and focused any other Whip slashes I had before Faris' next turn on him, subtracting off the damage of each of them from the 600 previously entered in my calculator. On Faris' turn, I caught the revived Mythril Dragon.

With two Mythril Dragons left, I concentrated Whip slashes on the one I'd chosen earlier, carefully calculating away the damage of each strike while Lenna kept everyone alive and healthy with Phoenix Downs and Potions. After roughly 13 slashes, the Mythril Dragon I'd been focusing on was at around 310-320 HP. At this point, I'd allow Faris to release her previously caught Mythril Dragon and quickly focus any other Whip slashes until her next turn on the Mythril Dragon I'd neglected until now until Faris' following turn, on which I'd catch the one I'd been focusing on.

Now that there was only one left, I allowed Galuf to release Jackanapes and ensured that Bartz was at full HP. When the Doom counter was at around 20, I slashed the last Mythril Dragon with a whip, hoping for Hold status, and quickly had everyone other than Bartz kill themselves off, and had Bartz defend until 0 on the counter, ready to use a potion if a hit did come his way.

When the battle was over, I rejoiced.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post

Pure Hell. This is toughest part of the challenge so far, but it was very satisfying to finally pull off. Get your calculator ready and type in 600 to start.

Encountered Mythril Dragon x 3 in the forests surrounding the Library of the Ancients.

Began the battle with Faris releasing Mindflusher. If it failed to confuse one of the Mythril Dragons, I'd reset.

Lenna was always the next turn for me, so I'd immediately have her get a Phoenix Down ready to be used on the confused Mythril Dragon and wait for him to use Transfusion. If, during this wait, a party member was killed off by the other dragons or the confused dragon attacked himself, I'd reset.

As soon as I saw Transfusion being used, I'd confirm the Phoenix Down use on the confused Mythril Dragon. If I didn't see Lenna's HP fill to max, I'd reset.

If I had not reset the game at this point, I felt that I had a good chance of finally getting this battle out of the way. The Mythril Dragon which was just brought back to life with the Phoenix Down requires four slashes from the Whip before he can be caught, so I got those off as soon as possible, using Lenna to feed the other members Phoenix Downs and Potions as necessary throughout the remainder of the battle. After the revived Mythril Dragon had been whipped four times, I chose another Mythril Dragon and focused any other Whip slashes I had before Faris' next turn on him, subtracting off the damage of each of them from the 600 previously entered in my calculator. On Faris' turn, I caught the revived Mythril Dragon.

With two Mythril Dragons left, I concentrated Whip slashes on the one I'd chosen earlier, carefully calculating away the damage of each strike while Lenna kept everyone alive and healthy with Phoenix Downs and Potions. After roughly 13 slashes, the Mythril Dragon I'd been focusing on was at around 310-320 HP. At this point, I'd allow Faris to release her previously caught Mythril Dragon and quickly focus any other Whip slashes until her next turn on the Mythril Dragon I'd neglected until now until Faris' following turn, on which I'd catch the one I'd been focusing on.

Now that there was only one left, I allowed Galuf to release Jackanapes and ensured that Bartz was at full HP. When the Doom counter was at around 20, I slashed the last Mythril Dragon with a whip, hoping for Hold status, and quickly had everyone other than Bartz kill themselves off, and had Bartz defend until 0 on the counter, ready to use a potion if a hit did come his way.

:mymelrelaxed:

Blog Entries

...if that's even half as bad as it sounds, then "pure hell" is an understatement. And I got a feeling it's, in fact, way worse than it sounds. =O

...which leads me to a question: when will, if ever, Transfusion actually be needed?

As for my own progress, I burnt Shiva to dust by throwing 2 Fire Rods at her.

I finally got Moon Flute after a few failed attempts. I kept killing the guy too early with my Blastoise (otherwise known as Grass Tortoise).

Ifrit got his ass kicked by Ice 2 + Ice Rod.

Next up: Byblos and getting Magic Hammer.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 09-06-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    ...which leads me to a question: when will, if ever, Transfusion actually be needed?
    I don't believe that Transfusion will ever be used, but half of the challenge is collecting all of the Blue Magic without accumulating any extra EXP or ABP!

Blog Entries

I don't believe that Transfusion will ever be used, but half of the challenge is collecting all of the Blue Magic without accumulating any extra EXP or ABP!
    Aha, so you're going for a complete Blue Magic collection on top of everything else!

Is there any non-boss Blue Magic that you can miss completely? While I'd like to go for a full Blue Magic collection as well, I do have lots of work and such things coming up that I have to do, so I'd prefere to focus mainly on just getting trough the game as a start (since that's my main goal), and start collecting the remaining Blue Magic spells afterwards.

It's hard to say whether or not you can miss any Blue Magic. I don't think that there are many (or any) that you can miss completely in a normal game, however, in this challenge the encounters from which you can learn them are all very specific since you have to be able to win the battle without picking up any EXP or ABP. I just don't know the game well enough to be able to say whether key encounters will be gone from the game later on.

Blog Entries

Ah well, I'll just collect as many as possible when I'm done beating the game then.

Finally beat Byblos... and got Magic Hammer as well.

Used the exactly same strat as Necro here, so yeah. It took me lots of tries though, since Byblos kept using that move that takes everyone out instantly. =(

Now you get to steal for eternity so that you have enough gil for everything. ;]

Blog Entries

Got up to 99 Silver Bows twice so far. Ugh. I'm not sure how much money actually is needed, but... I think I'll do this one more time, then I'll go for the ethers.

Edit: Oh yeah, you really need those rings that cost 50,000 each. Ouf. >_>

Blog Entries

Not really a massive, interesting update, but:

AGFSFHJKAFSNASFJAKFFKQWFUIH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^ My way of expressing impatience. It's really a shame the "Thievery" skill from FFIX doesn't exist in this game... combined with break damage limit. If it did, it would be dealing millions of damage by now.

I'm getting close though. I'm almost up in 800,000 gil now, and a stock of 99 ethers.

Just a little more! Aaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

I've been really busy with some things this last week, so I haven't really has many chances to play. How is your game going?

Blog Entries

I've been really busy with some things this last week, so I haven't really has many chances to play. How is your game going?
    Same problem. Been busy with other things.

Well, I finally got enough money and bought those rings + some other stuff. But I haven't had time to continue after that yet.

Blog Entries

Ah, finally got some time to play again!

Adamantoise:

Galuf as Knight, everyone else as Bare at low hp. Galuf blocks and dies, everyone else throws rods. Adamantoise dies.

After this, I remembered I still adn't gotten Ramuh... so I got him. Wasn't hard at all either, and I got Flash.

After stocking up on a bunch of Thunder Rods and lots os scrolls, I finally went up against the Soul Cannon.

Faris: Bare
    Bartz: Ninja
    Galuf: Bare
    Lenna: Blue Mage

Flame Thrower x 2: Two words: Fire Ring. I equiped it on everyone except Lenna, who I had as a Blue Mage, before starting the cannon battles. This made it impossible to lose against the Flame Throwers. After using 2 Thunder Scrolls, I had everyone beat Bartz to death before finishing the battle with normal attacks.

Rocket Launcher x 2: Lenna still as Blue Mage. A little trickier than the Flame Thrower battle, but still not too bad. Once Lenna had been hit with Missile and Bartz had thrown 2 Thunder Scrolls, I killed them both off and finished with a Thunder Rod.

After learning both Blue Magic spells, I turned Lenna back to Bare to make the remaining battle easier.

Soul Cannon:

I used this setup here:

Faris: Bare
    Bartz: Time Mage
    Lenna: Ninja
    Galuf: Ninja

I started off by throwing 1 scroll with each Ninja, killing both the support-things. I cast slow on the cannon with Bartz and breaked a rod with Faris for around 1500 damage. In other words, 2 scrolls + 1 Rod = around 3500-3600 damage done. This made counting the damage pretty easy, and thanks to Slow/Haste I could get the Soul Cannon down to low enough HP so that a single Thunder Rod would be enough to finish it, before it was able to fire. Then I waited for it to fire. Since Faris has much higher HP than everyone else as she's level 4, I could wait until everyone else's HP had been sapped without putting Faris in the risk-zone. One Thunder Rod later and the battle was finished. Faris gains 40 exp, but doesn't level up. Wheee!

Next up: Strato-something big, but only wannabe-bad yellow dragon monster thingy!

Nice progress. I really hope that I can squeeze in some play this weekend. It's been really busy for me.