Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy V Low Level 0 ABP 0% Challenge (This whole thread may contain spoilers)

Default Final Fantasy V Low Level 0 ABP 0% Challenge (This whole thread may contain spoilers)

Well, it has been awhile.

I will be following along with mog07’s brief guide
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/930369/51909 [Section 5]

The rules I will be following are:
    • Lowest Possible Levels* (2/2/2/3)
    • 0 ABP Gained
    • 0% Treasure Collected
    • All Blue Magic Learned

* The average level of (2/2/2/3) calculates to 2.25. It is actually possible to get level average of 2 with levels (2/1/1/4) instead. Either of these choices could be considered valid fulfillments of the Lowest Possible Levels rule, however, I tend to prefer to keep my max level as low as possible, even at the expense of a small average level increase.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 09-06-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a little confused, but how exactly does one go about never getting any ABP? I didn't know this was possible and the guide isn't very clear (unless I'm just missing the explanation somewhere).

Party members using the Bare/Freelancer job do not gain ABP. Provided you kill off all non-Freelancers in your party before delivering the final blow none will be collected.

I am working a lot these days, so I am not going to be able to breeze through this game like I used to be able to. My current plan is to get a lot of play in on the weekends. I started off last night on my Final Fantasy V Advance cartridge.

Introduction:

Nothing can be done about the first few goblin encounters in the intro. Took the EXP. Bartz reached level 2.

Preparation:

Bought two additional Broad Swords from Tule for Galuf and Faris, saving the dagger for Lenna, who has the least strength.

Wing Raptor:

Kept everyone in the front row and attacked every turn until he went down.

Preparation:

With everyone as thieves, stole 70 potions south of Tule. Sold 50 of them for 1000 gil; enough to afford all of the spells in Tule, excluding Libra, and a Leather Cap and Leather Shield. Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Freelancer FrontRow Broad                    LeatherA
    Lenna 1 Knight     BackRow  Broad  LeatherS          LeatherA
    Galuf 1 Knight     BackRow  Broad  LeatherS LeatherC LeatherA
    Faris 3 Black Mage BackRow  Dagger                   LeatherA
    Used the free HP/MP regeneration pot in the Wind Shrine to fill up Faris’ MP, then whittled Bartz’s and Faris’ HP down below 1/8 to get them into critical status—this will make Lenna and Galuf cover them in the upcoming boss battle. Healed up Lenna and Galuf with potions and saved.

Karlabos:

Used Thunder with Faris exactly 5 times while defending with everyone else, then killed off everyone except Bartz, ending the battle with one last swipe.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 09-02-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Figured it'd be something like that. I guess a guide and/or knowing bosses HP would become very important in a challenge like this. I look forward to following your progress on this one. Sounds tough, but I'm sure you'll get through it.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Someone on YouTube did a challenge just like this, only for the SNES version. They finished with 2/1/1/4. If you get stuck it might help give you some tips:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Good luck, it looks like a fun challenge.

Preparation:

Saved after the scene. Grabbed the World Map. Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Knight B Broad  LeatherS LeatherC LeatherA
    Lenna 1 Free   F Broad                    LeatherA
    Galuf 1 Free   F Broad                    LeatherA
    Faris 3 Black  F Dagger                   LeatherA
    Siren:

Took me a few tries. Siren has 900 HP, so I used a calculator to keep track of how close I was getting to killing her. Attacked with everyone until she converted to undead mode, then started having Faris hit her with fire, and having everyone else throw potions at her. I got her with under 50 HP remaining when she went back into normal mode. Spent my only Phoenix Down on Lenna just to be safe, and offed Faris (Bartz was already dead). Defended until she went back into undead mode, and nailed her with one last potion for the win.

Preparation:

Changed everyone back to thieves in Carwen, threw them all in the back row, and hit North Mountain. Went a few screens in, to the first screen with the poison plants, and went on a stealing spree for Gold Needles (Cockatrice Common), Silver Specs (Headstone Common), and Hi-Potions (Headstone Rare). Whenever someone died, I'd take a quick trip back to Carwen and stay at the inn. Kept this up until I had about 50 Silver Specs, which I then sold all but four of. With the gil, I bought a Long Sword, a Staff, a Bronze Shield, a Bronze Helm, a Bronze Armor, a Copper Cuirass, and a Cotton Robe. I also picked up the Silence and Sleep spell, 3 Phoenix Downs, and a small assortment of restorative items. Finally, I sold all of my Potions and made my way back to the save point in the ship graveyard. Two screens up from the save point room I encountered many Undead Husks, which have Potions for their common steal, and Ethers for their rare steal. The goal here was seven Ethers, which took awhile. The odds of getting the rare steal are approximately 1/25, so it takes roughly 175 steals on average. When I hit 99 potions I took a trip to Carwen to sell them all off again. Before heading back to North Mountain, I set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Black B Dagger                  LeatherA Specks
    Lenna 1 Blue  B Broad  BronzeS          CopperC  Specks
    Galuf 1 Free  F Long   BronzeS BronzeH  BronzeA  Specks
    Faris 3 White B Staff          LeatherC CottonR  Specks
    Magissa & Forza:

I silenced Magissa right off the bat with Faris, and then started hammering her with attacks and keeping my party members up with Phoenix Downs when I could. Eventually, she called out Forza, who I immediately put to sleep with Bartz. Finished off Magissa with attacks, and then started having Bartz hit Forza with Fire. Forza has 850 HP, so I got my calculator back out to keep track of where his HP was at. Each Fire did about 40-44 damage, so it ended up taking all of my ethers to get him down to where he was just about dead. Once he was there, I killed everyone off except Galuf, and had him take the last swipe.

Preparation:

Flew to Tycoon Castle and talked for the Chancellor for my Healing Staff, then changed everyone back to Thieves and headed to Walse. There are Ice Soldiers in the secret waterway behind the castle that have Mythril Swords as a common steal. I hung around here until I had about 60 of them, then I went ahead with the story until I had access to Walse Tower, where I stole two Mythril Knives from the Wyverns before setting up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free   F Mythril Sword
    Lenna 1 Free   B Whip
    Galuf 1 Free   F Mythril Sword
    Faris 3 Knight F Mythril Sword IronS MythrilH IronA Silver
    After the job change, I took Bartz, Lenna, and Galuf down to Near Fatal status in battle, healed up Faris with a potion, and saved my game.

Garula:

Just attacked until he went down—nothing to it. Lenna’s whip should keep him in Hold status for most, if not all, of the battle, and Faris will take the few hits that get through.

Preparation:

Went to Karnak and allowed myself to get thrown in jail by trying to make a purchase in the weapon shop. Once I was free, I went back to the weapon shop and went on a shopping spree with my Mythril Sword gil: 1 Mythril Hammer, 3 of each elemental rod, 4 full Mythril sets of armor, 2 full sets of the mage gear, and every spell available in the magic shop. Finally, after stocking back up on restorative items with my last few gil, I changed Bartz, Lenna, and Galuf back to Theives, and made Faris a Black Mage, rested up, and saved.

One of the encounters on the first screen with enemies below deck on the Fire-Powered ship is a single Defeater enemy. When he his killed, two Motor Trap enemies will take his place, each with an Ether as a common steal. I took the Defeaters out with a single Blizzara from Faris and then let my other characters loot the Motor Traps until I had both of their Ethers, then ran for it. If one of the Motor Traps was giving me trouble on the steal, I’d go ahead and take out the one I’d already stolen from with a Thundara to cut down on their ability to kill of my Thieves before they’d gotten the Ethers. This wasn’t an incredibly fast process, as it required a rest at the Inn usually after each battle, but I was able to grab about 16 Ethers before too long. That was enough for me. Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Lenna 1 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Galuf 1 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Faris 3 Time  F HealingS  -        PlumedH  SilkR    Silver
    Liquid Flame:

Used Gravity with Faris once or twice until Liquid Flame decided to take her out, then used a Frost Rod for the win while Liquid Flame was in his human form, netting me a Flame Scroll with Shiva’s name on it.

Preparation:

Backtracked to the save point after Liquid Flame. Used a Tent, changed everyone back to Thieves, and saved.

Escape From Karnak Castle:

The guide tells me to steal two Gaia Gears on the way out. This is incredibly difficult, and since this guide offers absolutely no explanation on most of its instructions I have absolutely no clue how important it is. I tried many times before finally pulling it off. I really hope that it doesn’t turn out to have been a wasted effort. My strategy was to go immediately to the chest in the northeast jail cell and continuously open it for the monster-in-a-box battle. Most of the time this chest gave me the battle I wanted, with the Sorcerer who has Gaia Gear as his rare steal, but occasionally I’d get Gigas, who I’d just immediately run from. For whatever reason, these battles are sometimes significantly harder to escape from than normal battles, and in the worst cases I’d sometimes get completely wiped out before I could escape. Eventually I got two Gaia Gears with three and a half minutes or so to spare—just enough time. I quickly set up my party config:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free F MythrilS MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA MythrilG
    Lenna 1 Free F MythrilH MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA MythrilG
    Galuf 1 Free F MythrilS MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA MythrilG
    Faris 3 Free B Whip     MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA MythrilG
    Sergeant & Karnak x 3:

Hammered on the Sergeant as quickly as I could with normal attacks until he went down. Again, the whip kept him in Hold status so he wasn’t able to sic the Karnaks on me. As soon as he went down, I defended with everyone until the Karnaks ran away, leaving me with just enough EXP to bring Lenna and Galuf to level 2, and just enough time to make it out.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 08-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Escape From Karnak Castle:

The guide tells me to steal two Gaia Gears on the way out. This is incredibly difficult, and since this guide offers absolutely no explanation on most of its instructions I have absolutely no clue how important it is. I tried many times before finally pulling it off. I really hope that it doesn’t turn out to have been a wasted effort.
    I've never known to much about the items and such in this game (probably because I've never actually finished the game and it wasn't released when I was ten like it should have been), but does the Gaia Gear defend against earth attacks in this game like it would in some others? It could be for use in the fight against Titan if that's the case.

That is probably the intended use, but I know it is possible to buy Gaia Gears in a shop later on. I'm just hoping these really come in handy before that.

Blog Entries

Oooooh, cool! Haven't even heared about this challenge before! =O

Good luck Necro, might try it out as well if I can find the time.

Misery loves company. Get in there.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I knew you could buy the Gaia Gear later, just not sure if it's before or after you fight Titan. Hopefully they do come in handy before you can buy them because I would think stealing items and selling them for gil so you could buy some would be either less time consuming or less of a hassle, or both.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Preparation:

Changed Lenna and Galuf to Beastmasters and caught an Aegir and Grass Tortoise before heading back over to Karnak. Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Blue Mage   F MythrilS MythrilS
    Lenna 2 Beastmaster F Whip
    Galuf 2 Beastmaster F MythrilK
    Faris 3 Knight      F MythrilS MythrilS
    I took Bartz, Lenna, and Galuf down to Near Fatal status, and saved just outside of the castle.

Learning Blue Magic: Moon Flute

Jackanapes is down in the basement of Karnak Castle. The key to this guy is the abuse of the Rainbow Wind enemy skill that is used when Aegir is released. It works like a reverse regen—the enemy's HP will start counting down continually over time for three full rounds (I believe it stops once the Beastmaster that released it gets hit third turn afterward). This skill can be exploited by changing your battle and message speed to 6 in the Config menu. By doing this, the battle will move much slower, but the rate of HP loss caused by Rainbow Wind is unaffected.

In order to learn Moon Flute, I released Aegir and waited a few seconds before giving each following Defend command. Finally, I released Grass Tortoise for a heavy attack. Jackanapes will retaliate with Moon Flute, which puts everyone into Berserk status. The key is to time the release of Grass Tortoise so that Jackanapes will die after using Moon Flute, before he has time to kill off the remaining members of the party. It took me a few tries to get the timing down.

There is no worry of gaining EXP or ABP from Jackanapes. Killing him only nets a single gil.

Preparation:

Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free  B MythrilS MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Lenna 2 Black F MythrilK
    Galuf 2 Free  B MythrilH MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Faris 3 Ninja F MythrilK Dagger   PlumedH  CopperC  Silver
    Saved once again outside of Karnak Castle.

Shiva:

I was tempted to use a Flame Rod here, which I'm sure is a viable strategy, however I decided to go with the strategy listed in mog07's guide. Had Faris throw the Flame Scroll right off the bat. Lenna followed up with Fira. Killed off Lenna and Faris and ended the battle with a couple of swipes from Bartz and Galuf.

Preparation:

Made my way to the Library of the Ancients and set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Lenna 2 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Galuf 2 Free  B Frost Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Faris 3 Black B Rod       -        PlumedH  SilkR    Silver
    Saved outside.

Ifrit:

Used Blizzara a couple of times with Faris until she was dead, then finished him off by breaking a Frost Rod or two with the others.

Preparation:

Made my way back outside and set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Free  B Flame Rod MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Lenna 2 Blue  B MythrilS  MythrilS PlumedH  SilverP  Silver
    Galuf 2 Free  B Whip      MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Faris 3 Time  B MythrilK  -        PlumedH  SilkR    Silver
    Saved outside, then made my way to the save point before Byblos and saved again after using a tent to heal up.

Byblos:

This fight required dozens of resets. The key is to put Byblos in Hold status with Galuf's whip so that you can focus on taking his HP down and killing off Bartz, Lenna, and Faris before finishing him off with a Flame Rod. The problem is that he needs to hit Lenna with Magic Hammer at some point during the fight.

The guide recommends simply retrying if he doesn't hit Lenna with Magic Hammer as his very first attack, which is one way to approach it, but I just went ahead and focused on taking his HP down on each try, healing up with Potions and Phoenix Downs where necessary until he decided to use Magic Hammer on Lenna. Either way it is bound to take many tries.

For damage, I had Faris focus on getting two Gravity spells off before killing off Bartz, Lenna, and Faris, making sure to get Byblos in Hold status just beforehand, so that he could not interrupt Galuf breaking a Flame Rod and ending the battle.

Preparation:

Switched everyone back to Theives and took the Fire-Powered Ship down to the two small islands south of Crescent Island. On the island without a forest, there is nothing but Prototype enemies, which is great because they have Ethers as their common steal. On the forested island there are Harvesters and Bio Soldiers, with Silver Bows and Battle Axes as their common steals, respectively. For hours I stuck around these two islands, raising my stock of Ethers and Silver Bows to 99 and returning to Karnak to sell them all off. I repeated this process with a goal of about 900,000 gil and a full stock of 99 Ethers.

I finally hit my goal, and headed to Crescent to progress the story and grab my Black Chocobo. From here, I flew to Istory, Jachol, and Lix, ensuring I had four of just about every piece of equipment. 600,000 of the gil I raised went straight toward the rings sold in Istory. While I was in these towns, I made sure to get whatever songs or spells were available to me at this point as well.

Now that I'd learned the Alluring Air song, I flew back to the forests east of Karnak and set up my party configuration:

Code:
    Bartz 2 Blue  B MythrilS MythrilS PlumedH  CopperC  Silver
    Lenna 1 Free  B MythrilS MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Galuf 1 Free  B MythrilH MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    Faris 3 Bard  B SHarp    -        PlumedH  GaiaG    Angel
    Learning Blue Magic: ???

Encountered Wild Nack x5 in the forest. I had Faris sing Alluring Air nearly every turn in order to keep the Wild Nacks in Confuse status in order to get them to Flee. Sometimes they will simply attack each other instead, in which case I had my other three members keeping them all healed up with potions to ensure none of them got killed. When I was down to just one Wild Nack remaining, I allowed him to go without Confuse status until he hit Bartz with ???—now, it is not completely obvious when the Wild Nacks use ???, as there is no message signifying its use. It looks slightly different from the regular attack, though, so it can still be spotted. Once Bartz had been hit with ???, I killed him off and used Alluring Air to put the last Wild Nack back in Confuse status, killing off Faris immediately after. If he decided to attack himself instead of Flee, Faris would have to be brought back with a Phoenix down to repeat the process until he decided to Flee.

Preparation:

Once all of this was taken care of, I flew back to the Karnak area and changed everyone to Beastmasters, catching an Aegir with each member. With my Aegirs, I flew back to Walse, ready to exchange them for Jackanapes. Set up my party configuration:

Code:
    ? ? BM     B Whip     -        GreenB   NinjaS   Silver
    ? ? Thief  B MythrilK -        GreenB   NinjaS   Silver
    ? ? Knight B MythrilS MythrilS MythrilH MythrilA Mythril
    ? ? Thief  B MythrilK -        GreenB   NinjaS   Silver
    Doesn't matter who is who, since this process must be repeated 4 times with each member getting a chance to be Beastmaster to exchange their Aegir for Jackanapes. However, everyone except the Knight should be in Near Fatal status.

Catching Jackanapes:

Once again, this required taking advantage of Rainbow Wind, but this time a great deal more precision is required. This took many tries for me to get the timing down. Of course, Battle Speed and Messages should be set at 6, with ATB set to Wait.

Unless you get lucky with a Preemptive Attack, Jackanapes will attack before the Beastmaster can release Aegir. This attack has to be blocked, or else the timing will be off. When the Beastmaster finally got his turn, I waited for the ATB bars of the rest of my party to fill, and then immediately released Aegir. Then, until the Beastmaster's third turn afterward, I used Defend with the Beastmaster, Steal with both Theives, and Guard with the Knight, waiting for about 6 seconds before making each selection. It took me many tries to get the feel for how long I needed to wait, but eventually I got it down, and was able to catch the next three rather quickly, saving after each successful catch, obviously.

Now it was time to put the captured Jackanapes to use.

Learning Blue Magic: Goblin Punch

Changed Bartz to Blue Mage, Lenna to Blue Mage, Galuf to Freelancer, Faris to Beastmaster, and optimized everyone.

Flew to the very first area on the World Map for the encounter with a single Goblin. Let him do his thing until he hit one of my Blue Mages with Goblin Punch, then killed my blue mages off and released Jackanapes with Faris and killed her off before the Doom counter hit 0.

Learning Blue Magic: Vampire

Changed Bartz to Freelancer, Lenna to Bard, then back to Blue Mage, Galuf to Beastmaster, and left Faris as Beastmaster.

Walked up to the first cave and saved outside, then went inside until I encountered Steel Bat x 3. Due to Lenna's change to Bard before Blue Mage, she is missing 9 HP. Because of this, casting ??? on herself took her down an additional 9, to 18, just enough to use cast ??? on two of the Steel Bats, allowing them to be caught by Faris. Provided Faris is at full HP, they could then be released immediately with no consequence. When only one Steel Bat remained, I allowed him to act freely until he hit Lenna with Vampire, and then killed off everyone except Bartz and Galuf. Finally, Galuf released Jackanapes, and was killed off before the Doom counter reached 0.

Learning Blue Magic: Pond's Chorus

Left Bartz as Freelancer, changed Lenna to Beastmaster, left Galuf as Beastmaster, and changed Faris to Blue Mage.

Flew to Walse, seeking the Elf Toad x 3 encounter at the beginning of the secret waterway. Followed the same strategy as I did with the Steel Bats here, except having Faris use Goblin Punch twice with the Mythril Sword equipped to do the necessary damage for catching the first two Elf Toads.

Learning Blue Magic: Dark Spark

Changed Bartz to Beastmaster, left Lenna as Beastmaster, changed Galuf to Freelancer, and left Faris as Blue Mage.

Flew back to the forested island just south of Crescent, where I stole my Silver Bows earlier. Encountered Black Flame x 2, Harvester x 2. Right away I put my focus on giving Frog status to both of the Harvesters, using Pond's Chorus with Faris. Once this was done I followed the same strategy as before to get rid of one of the Black Flames except using Goblin Punch twice with the Mythril Sword equipped and using it an additional two times with the Mythril Knife equipped to do the damage necessary to allow him to be caught. Once Dark Spark had been used on Faris, I followed the same steps to get rid of the second Black Flame as well. With just the Harvesters left, in Frog status, I simply pulled my calculator back out, and starting from their max HP of 580, I attacked one with everyone until he was below 73 HP and then caught him. Finally, I killed off everyone except Galuf and Bartz and had Bartz release Jackanapes and kill himself off before the Doom counter hit 0.