Thread: Magic System

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Magic System

What will it be? Fixed (ie. only specific spells are doable) or Creative (ie. you can make up spells as you go along so long as you're reasonable about it)? Would a person need to be born with magical abilities, or can anyone be trained into it? Can you only control one type of magic, or can you do anything? etc. etc. etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Magic in general is taught through training in an academy-type setting. We could assume that there are rare unexplainable occurences of people "knowing" magic at birth or other ways, too? Knowing everything about magic kind of takes the mysteriousness out of it so I say we leave the source of magic to be unknown.

I sort of have a "job" system set up that allows a pretty wide range of customization. You can point your character in a lot of different directions but the more you diversify, the more everything gets averaged out. It's really up to how creative you want to be, I guess. I think coming up with new types of magic would be really fun.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Restrictions might be handy. Just rough guidelines to what we shouldn't be able to do (one would assume teleportation would be out of the question).

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Something like teleportation seems fine to me. It would most likely be pretty rare and difficult to learn but definitely a possibility.

The only restriction I can think of is that if it's something that's going to cause the balance of roleplaying or city management to sway severely, then it's a no-no. Use your best judgement as to what would be overpowered.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

When I suggested teleportation, it was more along the lines of rapid, great-distance teleportation. Something that allows instant travel to any point in space without the need for rest. But you summed up what I meant anyway

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Yep, pretty much. Say, if someone were to teleport a great distance or try to teleport something especially large or important, then they'd be extremely weakened for a period of time. Something would have to happen to balance strong magic like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Best just to say it's overpowered and to not do it. If it does happen, it should require the efforts of many powerful mages in a collective megaspell to save the world... or something.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

With curative magic, I think that the difficulty should increase quite exponentially as the wounds get worse.

If we want to use white mages instead of doctors in Eizon, it would require them to have similar limitations (ie you can't just heal near death wounds and then go heal another patient).