Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Townsfolk NPC

Default Townsfolk NPC

They usually wonder around their towns and speak same things over and over. So do you ever speak to them or do just buy your things and leave for next place?Also not only Final Fantasy but other RPG?

I tend to speak everyone in I-VII, in my every playthrough but VIII-X,XII I just speak some randoms, but not all of them. Also in older SNES RPG like Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3 I speak them all, well SD3 I have completed so many times already that nowadays if I play it, I just rush through towns.

Now on my second playthrough in XII, I have talked to more people and got to say some of them have pretty interesting things to say.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I always love talking to the NPCs in towns etc, especially in FFIX where I think they're done pretty well.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I usually talk to everyone I see until they start repeating themselves.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Final Fantasy games must have the best NPCs ever..
    Some of favs are
    FF1: Kope, DrUnne, Arylon the dancer, Mermaids, I love them all..
    From other FF games "Luca" (ff4) is my fav NPC ever. LeBlanc and her minions, Yaibal and Clasko from FFX/X-2 are very amusing too..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well met!

Blog Entries

When I was a kid I use to run around town checking every barrel and talking to every NPC multiple times (until they start repeating themselves) for every free item I can find. I am far less patient now.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I still like to chat to NPCs. I actually appreciate when they're given a few different things to say, makes it that little bit more believable. I agree with charliepanayi though, IX certainly did a good job with its NPCs. A good portion of them have unique names iirc.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Chocobo Harrass

I talk to everyone I see until they start repeating themselfs.

Then I go to the next person.

Im suprised the NPCs hav'ent put out a restraining order on me.

To me, the little hints and ingame tidbits and one-liners the NPC's give are just another enjoyable part of the game.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The immortal advice of Nintendo Power: "Talk to Everyone!"

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It depends somewhat for me. If I really like the game and it's the sort where you can find out a lot of good information from NPCs, I'll talk to everyone. If it's just an average game, though, it may not hold my interest unless I keep moving with the plot.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The first time through the game I talk to everyone at least twice. After that, it depends on the game and how long it's been since I played it last.

Blog Entries

What really annoyed me was when there was a major event and one NPC changed his/her dialouge and I had to check every other NPC in town again to see if they say anything different.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    What really annoyed me was when there was a major event and one NPC changed his/her dialouge and I had to check every other NPC in town again to see if they say anything different.
    Ah, but that's what I love most!

In fact that's what made me curious enough to create my own transcript of FFX! Well, that, and Shotgunnova's wonderful script, which had about 95% of the NPC dialog. However, I had a sneaking suspicion that if you followed them through the game, a lot of them have rudimentary story arcs. So I started over, keeping notes on what each NPC looked like, since they mostly aren't named. To my delight, every villager in Besaid has a personality, most have at least a tiny dab of backstory, and there are recurring npcs in Kilika, Luca, and pretty much every place in Spira!

I loved watching them react to big events in the story! For instance, Kinoc imposes martial law on Luca, using the destruction of most Crusaders as pretext. For a while most people go along with it (except for one guy who is offended when a female warrior monk disses him as a "Spoony Bard" . Then when Bevelle goes to hell and all the warrior monks pull back to deal with the mess in the capital, the Crusaders go back to guarding Luca, the Lucans start being sympathetic towards them again and the merchants even raise money to fund them. There's a ton of other major overarching "happenings" going on in the background showing how the world and its politics are changing as a result of Yuna's actions.

I didn't talk to the npcs in other games as methodically, but I notice similar sorts of shifts over time. Basically, what you do has ripple effects that spread out across the world. Often, also, there is a TON of foreshadowing of things you haven't seen yet, like all the people in the Moonflow being antsy about Al Bhed sightings right before Rikku shows up.

I usually don't talk to npcs methodically until my second play-through. I play once just to explore, not worried about sidequests or completion, and again to find what I missed.

wow like the effort there^

i used to talk to everyone religiously right up til X and X2
    but in 12 there was just far too many
    no doubt missed out on some nice little things