Thread: Tanks

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I hate when people ask you to main heal as a SMN. =/

Summoner is an amazingly fun job. One of the best things I have ever done in this game is to successfully beat the avatars in the level 20 avatar battles. That was a blast.
    Yeah I know many summoners don't like it. I'm just saying that people will ask you to now and then, so be ready for it if you want exp from those parties.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Thankyou for your help. :D Any advice that you can collectively give Danielle for her Mithra WHM (she's also interested in the Summoner job) would be neat.
    BLM and SMN are both passable subjobs for WHM (BLM for increased MP) and SMN past level 50 for the auto-refresh job trait. However, since SCH's release, nothing will ever come close to WHM/SCH. Light Arts offers a 10% MP cost reduction to white magic, 10% reduction to recast and casting timers, and also a few other abilities which reduce MP cost and casting time dramatically. At level 70, access to Sublimation which allows you to store a virtual MP pool makes /SCH the end-all-be-all of WHM subs.

As for SMN, you're almost always /WHM, mostly because the ability to support heal will trump just about anything else you're going to get from a support job. As mentioned, people do try and put SMN/WHM in a main healing role at lower levels. Despite the massive amounts of MP SMN has to offer, with /WHM, you're always a cure spell behind (Cure II at level 22? Awful!), and this comes with huge penalties to the party as a whole. Luckily, astral burn parties are becoming more popular, and if you can get the people together for them, they're fairly easy to organize and not especially time consuming. The major problem with astral burns is the severe penalties they inflict on your ability to gain skill points in summoning magic, but, then again, you have to sit on your ass summoning over and over to cap that anyway (hint: use a script).

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Another hint: Don't tell anyone ingame that you're using a script. :)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Another hint: Don't tell anyone ingame that you're using a script. :)
    This is key.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    war/nin is probably about about as good as nin/war whenever the two have access to the same utsusemi spells.
    Highly disagree as far as tanking goes.
    You're right, i had my brain hung up in exp/merit party mode.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Danielle will probably not mind healing considering she's a WHM at the moment and seems to enjoy the role well enough. I guess we'll be a SUM/WHM or WHM/SUM for Danielle and PLD/WAR or WAR/??? for me depending on how we feel (or, of course, what is needed).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

If you two don't plan on exploring the wonderful world of endgame, WHM/SMN will be passable as a support job. Just keep in mind that if you ever do plan to foray beyond into any sort of endgame event, Danielle will get quite a bit of flack without having SCH leveled as a support job.

The Final Fantasy XI community is very demanding when it comes to support jobs. Exploring alternate support jobs, while fun, is usually not permissible. It's an attitude some find off-putting. My personal approach to it is that it's acceptable to experiment with support jobs as long as everyone you're partying with don't mind (a rare occurrence). As such, I usually leave experimenting to solo play.

Some might argue, "I don't pay $12.95 a month to have people tell me how to play the game!" Others argue, "I don't pay $12.95 a month to have other people waste my time with sub-optimal job combination." I, personally, tend to fall into the latter category. I encourage experimentation, but not at the expense of others' time.

At any rate, my point is that while SMN is certainly a good choice for a sub, it's not the best, and she'll probably, at some point, get flack for it.

As far as potential support jobs for WAR go. At early levels you'll get by with /MNK. I don't see that very much at high levels unless people are feeling particularly nostalgic. /THF has its place, although that's fairly rare as well. These days, it's /NIN if you expect to be pulling hate and taking a few hits or /SAM if you just want raw damage potential.

Summoner is an amazingly fun job. One of the best things I have ever done in this game is to successfully beat the avatars in the level 20 avatar battles. That was a blast.
    Im looking to do my summoner quest myself, always fancied it.
    My friend said that up until level 20 is dire though.

I was lvling my Drg and ive gotten fed up for now so im lvling Dnc, i love it

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by xXsarahXx View Post

Im looking to do my summoner quest myself, always fancied it.
    My friend said that up until level 20 is dire though.

I was lvling my Drg and ive gotten fed up for now so im lvling Dnc, i love it :D
    Most jobs are fairly easy to level to 20 these days. The biggest problem with SMN is that if it's your first job to 75, you're short-changing yourself by not having access to the avatars before level 20 when you can do the capped battles. Even then, you can't get Fenrir and Diabolos from those battles.

I've always viewed SMN as a second job at minimum since you can't even get all your avatars unless you can do the prime battles. I suppose you could have people do them for you, but that just takes the fun out of it. Then again, I'll not hesitate t admit to being something of an elitist as well.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to level SMN unless I'd already completed the prime battles to have access to all the avatars from level one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What I've learned in this thread is that if Miriel comes to Midgardsormr, it's not to play with Ouch.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I wouldn't be able to bring myself to level SMN unless I'd already completed the prime battles to have access to all the avatars from level one.
    See, I feel that cheapens the experience, so much. I feel like Summoner is one of those rare jobs in the game where actually becoming a Summoner is a real journey and a challenge. And it's FUN. Doing the prime battles under a different job just isn't the same. It's kind of like cheating.

It takes ages to get your Summoner ruby, even more time to complete the quest to get the job, and then you have the amazing one-on-one battles with each of the avatars where you either make them your bitch and they bow down to you, or else you die trying. xD It's really a great experience, and the last component of a lengthy quest. Being a lvl 75/someotherjob and just knocking out the primes real quick isn't the same. What a boring way to do things. Talk about taking the fun out of it. =/

20 levels is nothing. Especially these days, you can bang that out real quick. Why cheat yourself of a great experience just so you can claim to be all uber prepared summoner from lvl 1?
    Last edited by Miriel; 09-03-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    See, I feel that cheapens the experience, so much. I feel like Summoner is one of those rare jobs in the game where actually becoming a Summoner is a real journey and a challenge. And it's FUN. Doing the prime battles under a different job just isn't the same. It's kind of like cheating.

It takes ages to get your Summoner ruby, even more time to complete the quest to get the job, and then you have the amazing one-on-one battles with each of the avatars where you either make them your bitch and they bow down to you, or else you die trying. xD It's really a great experience, and the last component of a lengthy quest. Being a lvl 75/someotherjob and just knocking out the primes real quick isn't the same. What a boring way to do things. Talk about taking the fun out of it. =/

20 levels is nothing. Especially these days, you can bang that out real quick. Why cheat yourself of a great experience just so you can claim to be all uber prepared summoner from lvl 1?
    I'm more concerned with the lack of Fenrir and Diabolos. If you want to do those battles on your own, you're going to be missing them far beyond level 20.

I would also offer that soloing prime battles is it's own kind of fun, but not many jobs can manage that anyway.

Eh, the avatars aren't really worth having until later anyway. But I don't really see what's wrong with having them all by level 1 - I did and it didn't stop me from enjoying the job (when I'm not trying to main heal). To say it just "cheapens" the experience is not a view that should be enforced on others as people enjoy playing a job class for different reasons.

Also, doing the prime battles on a different job is fun if you go in solo'ing or duo'ing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

So guys we were talking about tanks, right?

From what I hear, BLU is another job that can tank well. I've only tried it once (loldunes), but it acts kind of like a PLD with Cocoon and Auto-Regen/Refresh, as well as whatever else you want to tack onto it.

PLD/XXX is the best tank. X is usually equal to WAR, but can be different depending on what you're up to. A lot of endgame stuff will require /NIN.

NIN is pretty horrible during lower levels (I'm doing that now) and really doesn't get the right sort of tools to hold hate effectively ever. I hear good things about /DRK but I've never seen it.

MNK's role as tank is usually limited to "first voke" (/WAR only!) in pre-colibri parties that have a THF.

SAM becomes an option at 35 with Seigan. It works a lot like a low-level NIN tank that can counter and generally isn't useless hate or damage-wise.

WAR can tank for the same reason it's the main subjob choice of most tanks.

But yeah PLD and NIN are considered the central tanks of the game for a reason. Pick one (PLD) and go with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

PLD up to L14 at the moment =]