Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tanks

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

She got sch already? Btw /sch is really good i hear.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I watched the cutscene with her. Looked like a bunch of Harry Potter pupils.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

WHM/SCH is all sorts of epic and win. Light Arts is your friend. Also, the cutscenes for becoming SCH are pretty lame, but the storyline with the Schultz School when you're getting your SCH artifact armor are pretty epic.

But yeah, I wasn't trying to tell you guys you were doing anything wrong, because I knew despite the desire to experiment, you've both got a lot of the support jobs you need ready to go or at least on the way. I think it's great to experiment when it can work, but it's a good thing to have the other jobs ready to go when you need them as well.

Zach is just an elitist. Nothing to see here, move along.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think there's a difference between learning how to play the game and play it well, and adhering to a strict set of rules that only a very small "hardcore" percentage of the FFXI population adhere to. I wanted my White Mage to be great, so I made sure to get the proper gear, buy my spells in advance, and skillup my stats. But I wasn't willing to abandon white mage because some people prefer RDM or SCH at the end game levels. That would have been silly.

The reason most of this was brought up in the first place was because someone seems to have put the idea in BoB's head that only certain jobs get parties and if you're not one of those jobs, you're out of luck. I just wanted him to know that personal experience has shown me that this is not true. There are general standards that most people in the game adhere to. White mages heal, warriors attack, etc etc. To go against those things is unusual because then, why even play those jobs? But then there are uber hardcore rules that certain players demand which can quite easily be ignored because chances are, you're not even going to run into too many of those people or those situations where you'll be denied simply because you are not the absolute strategically perfect job/character/player.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your character to be the ultimate. I'm leveling SCH and I'm aware of how beneficial it will be for my white mage. But again, I'm doing it because I want to and not because I feel I'll be excluded if I didn't. I very much doubt that I wouldn't be able to get parties if I stuck with /blm. And anyone who would reject you based on such things is just being unusually picky. And in the 4+ years I've been playing the game, I have run into few such picky people. Most people expect you to be a generally good player. Know what you're doing and don't get people killed. Beyond that people are pretty flexible. Basically, there aren't as many soup nazis in the game as some people make it out to be.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Beyond that people are pretty flexible. Basically, there aren't as many soup nazis in the game as some people make it out to be. :p
    Honestly, I'm not sure if we're playing the same game anymore. I'm playing the game that discriminated against DRG, DRK, and SAM for years. The game that still discriminates against DNC and PUP. The game that ignores THF beyond level 60. The game that makes BLMs solo to 75 because they doesn't fit into the meleeburn. That's the game I play. What game are you playing?

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

I'm interested in where the idea that WHM isn't preferred at endgame idea came from, too. RDM and SCH are preferable in a meripo, yes (by preferred, I obviously mean lolWHM in meripos), but WHM has always been one of the most in-demand jobs in the game. It all comes back to how jobs are treated by the playerbase. It also doesn't help that WHM is the only MP consuming job that doesn't have any native MP self-restorative abilities. lolSE, lolWHM and lolCalm Mind, etc.

Also, for archival purposes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch!
    they doesn't fit
    Man, some elitist YOU turned out to be.
    Last edited by WildRaubtier; 09-14-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: devotion doesn't count!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People discriminate against dancer? Why? It's such a fun job!

I dunno, maybe it's cause I never got deep into end game stuff. I'm figuring that's where most of the hardcore players focus their energies and where most of the rigid rules come from. I'm not hardcore enough for that aspect of the game. Also, laziness. I'd rather take a nap than do super long end game stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbc View Post
    I'm interested in where the idea that WHM isn't preferred at endgame idea came from, too.
    Any linkshell that doesn't have a few WHM's is a linkshell you should never be in. Not sure where the idea of them not being wanted came from.

People discriminate against dancer? Why? It's such a fun job!
    Uselessness in end-game, basically. Well, I only say uselessness in the sense that it has that stigma at this stage (e.g. lolPUP, lolDRG, etc.).

I dunno, maybe it's cause I never got deep into end game stuff. I'm figuring that's where most of the hardcore players focus their energies and where most of the rigid rules come from. I'm not hardcore enough for that aspect of the game. Also, laziness. I'd rather take a nap than do super long end game stuff.
    End-game is basically about 70% of this game, so you are missing out on quite a bit. I am not saying this is a bad thing, just letting you know. It's great that you'd rather take a nap, but you can't just discredit the majority of the game and the majority of the game's user base just because you don't agree with it, or don't want to experience it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

People discriminate against DRG? If that's the case, why do so many people level it after they get L75 jobs which are "approved of" by the masses? First I heard of that one.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

Used to. It was a job played mainly by people who Del Murder likes to play with. And especially favoured by gilsellers too, apparently.

What changed? Colibris.

Colibri are probably everything wrong with party xp dynamics in FFXI. But damned if I can't get 5k/hr soloing them outside whitegate. On DRG LOL

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not just colibris changed, they got some considerable buffs all around.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Cbc speaks from an ignorant point of view. I've known plenty of great DRGs and it has nothing to do with colibri. There's nothing wrong with DRG and there never was anything wrong with it. A couple bad eggs probably gave it a bad reputation when the game first started and that had a snowball effect. I started playing after all that crap so I never noticed it except in message boards.

This game is not 70% endgame, it's 100% whatever you make it to be. That is the beauty of this game. Maybe a majority of the added content is related to endgame, but that doesn't mean you're 'missing out' by never doing it. In fact I would say if every day of your week has some end game event scheduled, you are missing out on the fun of doing random with friends. And if you still have time for that on top of all your end game stuff, then you are probably missing out on the outside world.

I've done end game. It's not all that. Sky and Sea are already boring. Dynamis was boring a long time ago, but my LS is funny as hell so I have a good time there. The Limbus zones are varied enough and there are enough of them that it's still fresh, but I imagine that will get old soon enough. HNMs are a snoozefest, but the LS drama and watching 50 people in a zone scramble for a claim is entertaining at least. Salvage is fun but the rewards reqiure too much work to get. ZNMs are ok when you aren't spamming the same easy ones over and over. Assault is probably my favorite, but not enough people do it since they're all spamming Nyzul. Nyzul was fun but once I got to floor 100 I felt I was done with it. All of this pales in comparison to the random missions/quests/leveling I do with Eleni or other members of my social LS, though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del
    This game is not 70% endgame, it's 100% whatever you make it to be.
    too true.

Most fun I've ever had in FFXI is when Misfit and I went to Valkurm to PL random parties, both of us being Level 1 WHMs

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

xD I have to do something similar to that someday.