Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend ON! I'm getting a PS3.

Why not just go through the PSN store and start downloading demos. Nearly all the games mentioned in this thread have a demo on PSN store. Surely thats the best way to find out what game you want.

Blog Entries

GRENADE OF GRENADE 4: GRENADE GRENADE

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have to wholeheartedly agree with your instincts on MGS4 and GTA4.

MGS4 is easily, far and away, the best game this generation. Its cinematics show just how poorly directed the cut scenes are in video games as a whole, and its game design and gameplay shows just how re-hashed the gameplay is in nearly every other game. Not to mention, it's $30 new, $28 on amazon.

GTA IV is good as well, there's a lot of value there and a lot of people actually still play the multiplayer, which I really loved when it first came out.

Valkyria Chronicles is a very special game I'd suggest you look into, especially because it's so cheap new now. I know you said SRPG's become repetitive, and it's for that reason I recommend it. The story continuously surprises you with the areas it covers, and the battle situations offer a ton of variety from chapter to chapter. There's a lot of replay value here as well, and it's simply one of the best RPG's this generation.

Demon's Souls is another great RPG that will quite possibly reinvigorate your love of the genre. Imagine those macabre, difficult dungeon crawlers from the NES days, only with HD graphics and modern physics. It's possibly one of the most important games out today. I imported it, but I'd suggest buying the US version when it comes out since it'll have a lot of extra goodies, plus it's a game you're going to want the strategy guide for. It offers literally thousands of hours in replayability, and a truly groundbreaking take on multiplayer.

inFAMOUS is great. You can't judge today's games by images or cutscenes, because the true ejoyment comes from seeing the environment respond to you. inFAMOUS took it once step further, as even gameplay videos can't tell you how good the game is, since you have to feel how smoothe the movement and animations are. I really loved it and it'll give a good amount of hours for your money. Download the demo, trust me.

Killzone 2 is not your traditional FPS game. You're not a gun hovering 4-feet above the ground, you're a soldier in an invasion, and you have to use your instincts and strategy in order to weed out, eliminate, and move on from enemy encounters. The game plays like a tech demo showing the PS3's full capability, but beyond that it has possibly the best and most detailed shooting mechanics and gameplay out there. Just when you think you've seen it all in the single player campaign, they'll give you a lightning gun, or put you in the driver's seat of a mech. The multiplayer follows this formula as well - it's simply one of the deepest experiences out. The game was in development for 4 years and it shows, all the way down to the reload animations. (Indeed, the animations are one of the best parts of the game).

FPS games - Resistance 2 and Far Cry 2 are great. Racing games - Wipeout HD and the Motorstorm games are all great entries in the genre. Adventure, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank are great as well. All of these (except ratchet & wipeout) I could write pages and pages about why I like them so much, but I'll admit they're not for everybody (with the exception of Uncharted, check that out, it's only $30 now).

There's a lot of options on the PS3 right now, but those are the ones I'd recommend the most personally.

I thought MGS4 was a crushing disappointment. However if you want an RPG go with Valkyria Chronicles. Looks and plays beautifully. Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is bloody essential too. I'm about to get into Eternal Sonata which should be fun.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is enormous fun.

Other games I enjoyed: Half Life 2, inFamous, Street Fighter 4, Bioshock but if I had to go back and play one game again it'd be ES4: Oblivion.
    I will never be a memory.

I was gonna recommend Tomb Raider Underworld, but seeing that you don't like that genre I'm not going to :P It's the only PS3 game I've actually played extensively as of yet (just got my PS3, peepz!).

Anyway, I'm totally going to purchase Metal Gear Solid 4, since I'm a big fan of the MGS series, and this fourth game looks terrific.

Other than that I'm also going to buy Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken 6, once it arrives here.

Prince of Persia also looks interesting. I have all the other three games, and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Anyway.. yeah, those are the ones I'd recommend, based on my own preferences.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I got MGS4 and inFamous

PSN: Pixel Junk Eden... honestly my favorite game on the PS3. Laugh all you want, but it's just pure fun.

There aren't many actual games I want for the PS3 right now, though there are a bunch this fall. Hence why I haven't bought my very own PS3 yet. But I will probably next month.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    Seriously. Mass Effect is sooooooo worth buying a 360 for. SOOOO GOOD. and I don't care how late I am to play this game!
    I would never recommend buying a console for one game, and certainly not Mass Effect. It's good, but outside of the good character dialogue trees, the characters are pretty stereotypical, and the story is rather bland and over almost as soon as it begins. Combat is also kind of hit and miss. It's an above average game, but not nearly as amazing as a lot of people seem to think.
    Everything you say is false. Especially about the story - Mass Effect is one of the only science fiction stories that entertained me~ Plus the setting is just so perrrrrrfect~~ And I loved the combat. Biotics are smurfing awesome.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything you say is false. Especially about the story - Mass Effect is one of the only science fiction stories that entertained me~ Plus the setting is just so perrrrrrfect~~ And I loved the combat. Biotics are smurfing awesome.
    Yes, because opinions can be false.

My main response is that you must not watch, read, or play a lot of stuff with sci-fi stories. The story was a tiny bit of build up to (SPOILER)a race of machines who wants to destroy all life in the galaxy. Why? Because it's there apparently. If you want to know more, wait for the sequel we obviously intended, because we wouldn't make as much money giving you some real answers in this game. Throw in some heavy handed handling of your typical sci-fi moral ponderings (largely racism in this case) and you have the whole story in a nut shell.

As for the character; you have Sheperd who can be either an paragon of virtue or a complete ass. There is no real in between in any given conversation or situation. Have him (or her) accompanied by a rag tag bunch that includes a conscience with legs (Kaidan), the tough as nails, will do anything it takes to defend the human race soldier (Ashley), the alien love interest who has no real reason for being there except to progress the plot and be the alien love interest ... I could go on, but maybe I think I've rambled enough. I'm sure you enjoyed it and if so great, but story-wise I found Mass Effect offered nothing that sci-fi fans haven't seen a hundred times over in various forms for years.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

if the new ace combat got ported to ps3 this wouldn't even be an argument imho

unfortunately it is not there

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    I got MGS4 and inFamous
    Good choice and enjoy! Hope we helped a lil'.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Well, considering the best RPG belongs to the X-Box 360 ...

Seriously. Mass Effect is sooooooo worth buying a 360 for. SOOOO GOOD. and I don't care how late I am to play this game!

But I'd get MGS4 and GTAIV for the PS3, really. They seem like they'd offer the most game time for the price, yoooooo.
    I would agree with you, but i won't :p. This is because if you have a less than 5 year old computer, putting even a Geforce 8800 GT video card (you can probably get these for less than 90 dollars, and they are probably not even the best bang for the buck anymore but i'm using it as an example right now because it's what I've got) in it will get you better graphics in the PC version of Mass Effect than you can on the 360 :).
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Yes, because opinions can be false.

I'm sure you enjoyed it and if so great, but story-wise I found Mass Effect offered nothing that sci-fi fans haven't seen a hundred times over in various forms for years.
    The Reapers' backstory was pretty weak, yeaaah, but I just chock their origins and motives up to technological singularity and I'm happy. As for the characters, I thought they were all pretty decent - I especially thought Garrus and Tali were rather unique, and Wrex. In fact, the human characters were rather meh, but whatever. And there is definitely a middle road option for the main character, I was pretty balanced between Paragon and Renegade.

ANYWAY, I'm /not/ a sci-fi fan (actually, I really kind of dislike sci-fi), and the fact that Mass Effect entertained me so much and immersed me so well I thought to be a good testament to how smurfin awesome it issss~

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Did we really have a 'been there, done that' debate on a Final Fantasy forum?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The new batman...even though I as dissapointed there was no Raz Alghoul(sp?)...
    He makes a cameo, although unlike most other villain cameos, you can actually see his body. (Look around in the morgue...)

Congrats on your new PS3, DP! Add me on PSN, JKTrix, if we ever have the same game we can play together we can hook up now and then.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

JKTrix, I sent you a friend add.

PSN: DignifiedPauper

I also added it to my profile in case someone else wants to add me randomly. The only person from EoFF I know who has a PS3 was Roogle.