Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Princess Mononoke

Default Princess Mononoke

If anyone knows of this cult classic lets chat on a great diamond(Princess Mononoke) in the rough(anime)
    "Stay Your Hand The Girls Life Is Now Mine"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mononoke Hime is not only one of my favorite Miyazaki films but its actually my favorite film of all time and the film that inspired me to be a writer in the first place. Its just fantastic in everything really, a moral message, an ambiguous answer, excellent action, great characters wonderful music and drop dead gorgeous animation.... *raves for a few more hours about how great the movie is*

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's great, but I liked Spirited Away (and Ponyo, which I just saw today) more.

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

The heavy environmental message is great, and the animation is nigh peerless. Used to think the story was a little weak but after repeated viewings, it's held up well enough.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It looks stunning, and it has some very strong characters in the likes of Lady Eboshi (most films would demonise her,but Miyazaki isn't interested in that approach, and the film is better for it). However as good as it is, I do slightly prefer the likes of Totoro and Spirited Away from Miyazaki's work.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki, but unfortunately Princess Mononoke hasn't been released here yet. Eagerly awaiting to see it, though.

Miyazaki work never ceases to wonder me.. From Mononoke to Legends of the EarthSea... All have such a beautful tale to them and wonderfully animated...

The White Wolf was awe inspiring..I wish i had wold mother like that!!

HOTROD
    "Lets go for a spin you and I"

I love this movie. I loved the message it gave off, I love the artwork, the storyline, absolutly everything! But whaat I loved most is the forest spirit. SOmething about him made me cry =( aand those cute little kodamas [siggyyyyyyy] <3

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Kodama/Mononoke sets unite! Take my hand, cloud_doll!

Yeah, I have the deepest admiration for this movie and the fantastic craftsmanship obviously put into it. A wonderful and engaging story, expressive and beautiful animation and exciting dramaturgy throughout makes it one of, if not my very favourite of the Miyazaki movies I've seen.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki, but unfortunately Princess Mononoke hasn't been released here yet. Eagerly awaiting to see it, though.
    Oh come on, so not an excuse.

Also it's brilliant, one of the very best Music is amazing too

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

One of my favorites. And I think it was like the second anime I saw, after Kiki's Delivery Service. It's been too long since I've seen either of them though. I should go fix that.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be honest, this movie kind of scared me.

I liked Spirited Away much more.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Easily and by a huge margin my favorite Studio Ghibli movie. I think it's absolutely beautiful.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

fave one
    except for the parts with the boars i didn't like those

Man, this is my favorite Miyazaki film and thus my favorite anime film, since Miyazaki's work consists of the only anime films I actually enjoy. It's also on my Top-5-favorite-movies list with Gattaca and a few others.

It was released here in the US when I was about 4 years old, and I first saw it when I was 7. It was so inspiring to me then, and I'm still in love with it. The art direction and the music are both gorgeous. The characters are so realistic; Miyazaki didn't steer toward that good-versus-evil bull that plagues most films dealing with morals. They're all complex.

The voice acting was phenomenal. My favorites were Danes as San, Driver as Eboshi, and Anderson as the wolf (Moro?). There's something almost sultry about Gillian Anderson's low voice - it added an extra dimension to the protective, vicious character. I must also mention Minnie Driver's laugh. It was EPIC. I'm talking about when Prince A says something like "see with eyes unclouded" and Eboshi responds "Eyes unclouded?" and then laughs. I used to rewind and watch that part over and over because I loved the jeering laugh so much.

And the Kodamas! I always pointed out their adorable rear ends when I was younger.

I haven't watched the movie since 2007. I ought to do so again, but my copy is all scratched up!
    Last edited by Medi; 09-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Rye made this!