Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Princess Mononoke

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Honestly, it's kind of preachy and dull.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I actually thought Castle of Cagliostro was his best film
    <i>Now</i> you're talkin'. :sophia:

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think BBC2 once showed this, Spirited Away and Totoro on consecutive days so I watched them to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was okay and watchable, but nowhere near the great masterpiece that some people have hailed it as. The other two I named were better imho.

Also I wanted the forest to be burned down so those weird things in Rantzien and cloud_doll's sigs would be destroyed. I'm sorry but no.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Not my fav movie ever but I remember I was totally blown away the first time i watched it. (I guess is was the hype and all)..

Castle of Cagliostro was good too, but they took Lupin III for that one so is not an entirely Hayao Miyazaki original..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I actually don't think Akira was as good as most people. :P

Even though I enjoyed it, the anime itself left out far to many details and didn't explain much of anything, and that seriously took away from the enjoyment.

And someone actually agrees with me about Lupin III! WOO!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm not much of a fan of Akira (why are we even talking about it, it's not Ghibli). I didn't enjoy Lupin III or Castle of Cagliostro.

Castle in the Sky was okay . . . but a little too cartoony. I just can't see how his style could have changed that much from Naussiccaa to Castle in the Sky. Just a little too goofy for my tastes, but still good.

If I HAD to choose a second favorite, I guess it would be Howl's Moving Castle or Kiki's Delivery Service. I can't make up my mind.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Maybe it's not that Miyazaki's style changed from Nausicca to Castle in the Sky, but that that's one of his key features, the way he has such a wide range of films, and that he is as comfortable working with a post-apocalyptic tale like Nausicca as he is with a quietly done film like Kiki or Totoro.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Looks like I have to bump Princess Mononoke down another slot on the list of Miyazaki films I've seen. I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service (like I've wanted to for literally 10 years now), and it's by far my favorite, story and character-wise. Spirited Away has it beat in prettiness, though, in my opinion. As for music, I've grown incredibly fond of Ponyo's soundtrack.

Still, they're all wonderful.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    Castle of Cagliostro was good too, but they took Lupin III for that one so is not an entirely Hayao Miyazaki original..
    Miyazaki's interpretation of the character is original, though. Monkey Punch and everyone else have always pegged Lupin as an incorrigible, double-crossing, <i>hairy</i> stealing and raping machine—whereas Miyazaki presents him as an equally savvy but kinder, gentler Robin Hood type, whose days of foolish excess are largely behind him. Hence all the debates among fans as to whether "green jacket" Lupin is better than "red jacket" Lupin.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mononoke was the first Miyazaki film I ever saw, and I loved it. It's admirable for its rejection of genre clichés: no morally clear-cut characters, and the romantic sub-plot ends with a realistic "we've both been through a lot, and there's so much rebuilding to do, but maybe we'll see each other again some day" rather than "let's get married NOW and be happy forever". I also really like how the spirits and animals are portrayed.

Nausicaa remains my favourite Hayao Miyazaki film, though, and one of my favourite movies of all time.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I haven't seen Ponyo yet. But I HAVE seen Earthsea (which isn't Hayao but his son Goro). It's not half bad. It's not half good either. :/

Princess Mononoke is one of the best Ghibli films out there. The complex factions with their understandable justifications for their actions bring great nuances to the morally grey story. The characters themselves are memorable and interesting, and the plot itself never feels too preachy despite its sometimes heavy messages. The art is stunning and so lush and brutal at the same time, which helps enhance the story's turns well.

And the music! The score to Princess Mononoke is one of Joe Hisaishi's best works. The three main themes are extremely memorable, stunningly crafted in their orchestration and heart-breakingly beautiful while they also help tell the film's story in its own enchanting way.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    Miyazaki's interpretation of the character is original, though. Monkey Punch and everyone else have always pegged Lupin as an incorrigible, double-crossing, <i>hairy</i> stealing and raping machine—whereas Miyazaki presents him as an equally savvy but kinder, gentler Robin Hood type, whose days of foolish excess are largely behind him. Hence all the debates among fans as to whether "green jacket" Lupin is better than "red jacket" Lupin.
    >>> Come on Red Jacket Lupin is a kind guy too..
    I saw Cagliostro too many years ago so I dont remember much of it but I bet the guy was just looking for some treasure (as always)..
    Zenigata, Goemon and Co. remained pretty much the same.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

well thank you everyone you made this thread a hit thank you i love this movie just because it came out in 1997 and it looked stunning still to this day i still watch it and look in wonder at how good it is good story excellent characters nice visuals its all good nothing bad about this movie thank you fcking right
    "Stay Your Hand The Girls Life Is Now Mine"

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

lrn2grammar but you're right, princess mononoke is a great movie <3

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This movie is magical.