Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Turns out the 360 really did compromise the PS3 version

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I had PS3 there but a couple of my work colleagues (who happened to be at my desk discussing similar things) insisted it was 360 dominant since the 360 came out first or something. I caved after nobody found a source in the rest of my short lunch hour. xD So apologies on that end of things and HA to my work colleagues, I was right all along.

EDIT: Month to month means little if you're referring to console sales - it's total working units that matter (or, more specifically, total working units which games are actually being bought for ).

I defend companies for making money because it's what I'd do if I ran a company. What should they do if not make money? How could they develop future games without it? It's silly to say that we should accuse them of trying to make money. If anything, be proud that they're doing that. A successful company is, well, a successful company. Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't even be being worked on right now if Square Enix wasn't out to make dosh.
    Of course. My only point was, usually fans dont give a crap about that and moan about every single little "rip off". For example, when a company releases DLC around a month after release everybody shouts foul play, even if the company started working on that DLC AFTER the game has 'gone gold'.
    They deserve the money, but everybody gets in a big huff and puff about it.

And tell me, if SE wanted to make money, why didnt they release SO4, The last Remnant and all those RPGs on the PS3 at all? I think they just didnt really know what they were doing to be honest.
    Maybe they got into that 'hey look the PS3 isnt far behind the 360 buts its definitely going to fail' mentality that the whole journalistic world was in until about a year ago (you seem to be a little bit in that mentality as well, thinking people dont buy games for it etc. EA and Ubisoft have made more money of software sales on the PS3 than the 360 and Wii combined lol)?
    If SE were thinking along those lines then that's them predicting something where they shouldnt.
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-09-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If they didn't release them on the PS3 at all then they either...
    1. Were paid to do it exclusive
    2. Didn't think the time/money spent developing a PS3 port would be worthwhile.
    3. Didn't have the resources available to them.
    4. Didn't think it would make a profit on that system.
    5. Didn't want to commit to too many projects at once.
    6. Didn't have the time available to the developers to port to multiple consoles.

Or some other business reason. There are always business reasons. Always.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If they didn't release them on the PS3 at all then they either...
    1. Were paid to do it exclusive
    2. Didn't think the time/money spent developing a PS3 port would be worthwhile.
    3. Didn't have the resources available to them.
    4. Didn't think it would make a profit on that system.
    5. Didn't want to commit to too many projects at once.
    6. Didn't have the time available to the developers to port to multiple consoles.

Or some other business reason. There are always business reasons. Always.
    But BoB, your making an argument over 6 different possibilities. There are probably over a hundred different possibilities why they didnt bring them out on the PS3. Fact is that they didnt bring it out (even though they said they would with TLR).

Dude, why are you defending a company by 'guessing' the reasons for their business decisions?

Fact is, SE lied. Many times. First of all they said it would definitely be an exclusive game. Then it went multiplatform, but said that the 360 version will only be worked on after the PS3 version was done so as not to risk the PS3 version getting gimped, which also turned out to be a lie as when the PS3 version was 90% done the 360 was 70% done. Im not complaining cause it means we are getting the game quicker but fact is that they lied.

Usually these sorts of lies annoy people, but obviously we shouldnt be annoyed because its only the PS3 thats getting shafted and hey, as long as you get the game you dont care right? Nice.

I'll say it again, im happy 360 owners are getting to play the game, i am however annoyed (am now anyway, didnt care before) at all the lies SE has spurted out and people telling us to stop moaning about it. Obviously you dont see anything wrong with this cause it means you dont have to spend $299 to buy a PS3

Oh my god I cant believe I just made such a long post over a bloody multiplatform discussion im feeling too nerdy I need to go do something manly

If they are placing the game on DVD then that is just ridiculous. The Enix merger has been a disaster for this series.

Cash in prequel and sequels all over the place (x-2 springs to mind immediately and FFVII spin offs) and now we have this....money before fans. It hasn't always been so 1 sided

=======
    Speaking at GamesCom, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase commented: "This isn't the final count yet, but we're aiming for about three discs."

In other words it will be 4 or 5.

The team is working to compress as much as possible, while still keeping the quality high.

Limitations are in place for how much you can compress and there is a massive downside with the fact it takes more processor power ad time to uncompress it at realtime game play. The fact it is going on DVD will massively affect quality from what it would have been.

I am disgusted.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 09-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Speaking at GamesCom, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase commented: "This isn't the final count yet, but we're aiming for about three discs."

In other words it will be 4 or 5.
    Yes, they said it will probably be 4 discs now. Not that that is new for PS1 FF fans, but im wondering if its a step back since FFX and XII

I could care less that it's multiplatform. I do care that the PS3 version is getting gimped for the sake of "equality."

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    but im wondering if its a step back since FFX and XII
    It is in terms of pushing a console to the limit. I didn't buy a ps3 to be downgraded to Xbox 360

Articles
    Blog Entries

You're right, Square-Enix should totally have predicted the future.
    Of course, that's what financial/marketing analysts get paid for

EDIT: And with all of that argument, you still can't deny that S-E will make much more money by selling on both platforms. If you want to compare the meerkat market, they'll be looking to sell in three major areas firstly and everywhere else as an afterthought. Japan (360 dominant), America (going by Amazon sales of the Beatles multiplatform release, it's Wii/360 dominant) and Europe (360 dominant last I checked). The only people I know personally over here that have a PS3 regret getting a PS3. That probably won't stop me buying one though... if I ever get the money. =/
    "Much more" is debatable. I'm not sure how much interest the Halo/Madden crowd has in games like Final Fantasy XIII. In any case, that's irrelevant.

What's at issue here is what bringing FFXIII multiplatform has done. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, thinks that as many people having the ability to play the game is a good thing. The problem is, where does that begin to be offset by compromises made in the development process? FFXIII has already been compromised in graphics, game design, and content (voice-overs) by bringing it to the XBox 360. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You're right, Square-Enix should totally have predicted the future.
    Of course, that's what financial/marketing analysts get paid for

EDIT: And with all of that argument, you still can't deny that S-E will make much more money by selling on both platforms. If you want to compare the meerkat market, they'll be looking to sell in three major areas firstly and everywhere else as an afterthought. Japan (360 dominant), America (going by Amazon sales of the Beatles multiplatform release, it's Wii/360 dominant) and Europe (360 dominant last I checked). The only people I know personally over here that have a PS3 regret getting a PS3. That probably won't stop me buying one though... if I ever get the money. =/
    "Much more" is debatable. I'm not sure how much interest the Halo/Madden crowd has in games like Final Fantasy XIII. In any case, that's irrelevant.

What's at issue here is what bringing FFXIII multiplatform has done. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, thinks that as many people having the ability to play the game is a good thing. The problem is, where does that begin to be offset by compromises made in the development process? FFXIII has already been compromised in graphics, game design, and content (voice-overs) by bringing it to the XBox 360. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
    The problem is, if the game ends up sucking, so many people are going to blame it on the move to multiplatform, when we really have no idea if thats what made it bad. Maybe it is, maybe isn't.

Im pretty sure its gonna be a good game though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Graphics? Marginal, if at all. From what I've seen it looks incredible regardless.
    Game design? We don't know to what extent that might be, and as shown in games such as FFVII, an enjoyable game shouldn't need to be on a single disc. I can't think of many things that were shut out on the later discs, actually.
    Content (voice overs)? Eh, that's not a big deal.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Graphics? Marginal, if at all. From what I've seen it looks incredible regardless.
    Game design? We don't know to what extent that might be, and as shown in games such as FFVII, an enjoyable game shouldn't need to be on a single disc. I can't think of many things that were shut out on the later discs, actually.
    Content (voice overs)? Eh, that's not a big deal.
    As shown by Final Fantasy I, an enjoyable game doesnt need to be on a disc, a cartridge is fine :laugh:

This could go on forever lmao.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Or maybe they aren't cutting these things for equality sake, but so they can then market a FFXIII 'complete' for the PS3 in a year or two's time.... Need something to fill the gap till FFXV.

I think I'm on to something here.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I think any loss graphics wise will only be noticeable for the 360 owners and even then I doubt it would be significant to your average gamer unless you have some insane set-up.

I really liked the openness of FFXII though, so that's my biggest problem with the multiplatforming in North America. Sure, I put up with areas being inaccessible in the PSOne era, but that was a decade ago. I am used to openness that newer versions have given us.

EDIT: I don't think it will ruin the game, because as people said in the past it had work. I think it is a bit of a step back though. :/ I am still super excited for the game though!

EDIT2: If they come out with a Japanese version with English voice acting on it, I would totally get that. Assuming they release an "International" version which they tend to do with FF's a few years after they come out and it has English voice acting.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    So, you won't be able to play the Japanese voice track. That's to be expected; most games don't give you this option.

Other than that, there'll be disc-specific side-quests, and you might not have access to all locations at the end of the game. I didn't have a problem with the former limitation in the PS1 games (and even single-disc games manage to lock out certain side-quests before or after certain points, anyway); the latter was annoying in FFIX, but it didn't break the game or anything. And I doubt the situation will be as severe as FFVIII, where everything was locked out. So, it's probably forgivable.

I'm not sure I see the cause for outrage, here.
    Pretty much this. I'm disappointed at the language stuff and I think they should have included it in the PS3 version but the disc stuff? I don't recall that ever being an issue with the PS1 era games.

If they did make the PS3 version the way they originally intended then then they probably would make more money. I mean the 360 owners would still have to settle with their version regardless of how butthurt they are over it and there are some fanatics who would buy both versions specifically BECAUSE there are differences. Can we expect them, in a few years, to produce an updated version on the PS3? Like the way they always make an "international" version with more stuff.