Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turns out the 360 really did compromise the PS3 version

Default Turns out the 360 really did compromise the PS3 version

Check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by QJ.net
    Yesterday, we covered an interview with Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) producer, Yoshinori Kitase, which had him reassuring fans that FFXIII going multiplatform did not compromise design at all. Today, we have here Kitase talking to GameTrailers, and admitting that the PS3 version has been indeed compromised to "keep both versions of the game identical."

Specifically, the PS3 version will not have the Japanese voices with English subtitles because, well, it can't fit on the Xbox 360 and since they want to be "fair" to both platforms, then they won't put it on the PS3 as well - regardless if it can afford to have the Japanese audio track or not. Which it totally can.

Not only that, but the pacing of the PS3 version will also be affected because of the Xbox 360 version. Analyzed PS3 Center:

When Final Fantasy moved to PlayStation 2, it only ever appeared on 1 DVD. This meant that unlike previous iterations on the original PlayStation, every area within the game could technically be open at any time. In previous games, some areas appeared on some discs, and were closed off in others. The same can even be said for games such as Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, due to the space constraints of the DVD, the majority of side-quests appeared on the final disc. Final Fantasy XIII will be affected in the same way.

This is not a huge problem if an RPG is 360 exclusive or developed for Xbox 360 first, but if it is meant to be developed on the PS3 first and take advantage of ALL it's features, then it is a problem.

If the game was on a single Blu-Ray disc, it would allow the player to explore many areas, and many side-quests at any time throughout the game. However, due to the DVD limitations of the Xbox 360, the game will be cut up, and many areas you visit at the beginning of the game will most likely not be available towards the end of the game. This may be one of the main reasons that many PS3 fans are looking forward to Final Fantasy Vs XIII more than Final Fantasy XIII, because Versus represents an upgrade in scale whereas Final Fantasy XIII is actually a downgrade from earlier Final Fantasy games in that sense.

Sounds to me like that's quite a compromise right there, Mr. Kitase.
    Now thats bull.

On one hand, i'm raging because the 360's lack of space is making it worse for us.

On the otherhand, i'm ROFLing at the fact that the 360 cannot hold what the PS3 version was going to have.

I said it 2 years ago, i'm saying it now.

It should've stayed a PS3 exclusive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Angry Grumble

Agreed, thats aload of absulute BS.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Well that blows, I liked the openness of Final Fantasy games on the PS2. :/

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So its going to have X's pacing? That really blows, not surprising though. Well this is what happens when money becomes more important.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Not being able to revisit old locations isn't a huge draw for me, because if they write the story correctly half the places you visit end up getting demolished in the process anyways. :)

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just put it on PS2. Problem solved.

Articles
    Blog Entries

ZOMG! What?

Ps2? Thats a step to far to change a annoying bit about the game.

Thats a Step BACK in my opinion.

God, Screw the damn 360, just because it can't keep up with the PS3, don't saw the PS3's leg off to balence the damn scales.

GRRR.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthier Rocks View Post
    Ps2? Thats a step to far to change a annoying bit about the game.

Thats a Step BACK in my opinion.

God, Screw the damn 360, just because it can't keep up with the PS3, don't saw the PS3's leg off to balence the damn scales.

GRRR.
    /Agree. The Xbox 360 is holding this game back, and because of it's release on the system instead on the PS3 exclusively, FFXIII won't be as good as it could've been. Really sad, actually.

There's always FFvXIII, I suppose.
    Currently Playing:
    STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY for PC

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be honest, I think the series itself has been a downgrade since X-2. I wouldn't have bothered using extra features like the Japanese voices with English subtitles because it would take away from the visual experience of the game. As a result, I'm probably going to go ahead and get the version for 360 and then sell it because I don't have much hope for it being good enough to keep. I would much rather have it on a console like PS2 because buying a PS3 is really pointless to me, but whatcha gonna do.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is kinda sad, I think Agito is the only entry in the XIII project that actually intrigues me. I can't honestly say this info surprised me nor does it really bother me as I had little hope for XIII as it stands. I'm beginning to look even less forward to FFvXIII.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    To be honest, I think the series itself has been a downgrade since X-2.
    Uh, what???

As for the topic - I don't care! I have a 360 and lack a PS3, so everything's still hunky dorey.

edit
    Well this is what happens when money becomes more important.
    And if this was about money, they would make the games different so that there would be a reason to buy both. Personally, I think they should go ahead and make the PS3 version more expansive ... I don't see why it's that big of a deal.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They are trying to be fair. If you make one seem a little extra shiny (even if the other has its own unique shininess) both sides will call fowl. Fans are stupid and hardly know what they want. Just listening to people bitch about SolCal exclusive stuff and DLC content for newer games is more than enough for me to understand why marketing says they shouldn't go this route. Though to be honest they are in a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" situation, as we see now the results of trying to keep it fair.

The problem is just trying not to alienate one group from the other but I'm sure this news will have PS3 fans calling for a boycott of XIII.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That's one cruel joke. It should have stayed a PS3 exclusive if this was going to happen. I was happy when it was announced on the 360 because I couldn't/can't afford a PS3, but now I don't even want to play it because I know it should have been better.

This is stupid. People are going to be furious. If a boycott does happen, it's going to cause a bit of a dent to SE's back pocket.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Have boycotts actually ever successfully been pulled of for stupid stuff like this? I always hear people whining about them, but doesn't it always end with everyone just caving and buying it anyways?

If you look at what he said, it doesn't even look like that much of a change. 'Some areas will not be able to be accessed at all times' doesn't seem like a groundbreaking design constraint. I own a PS3 and no 360, so the situation is less than ideal for me, but when I read that the first thing I thought was 'oh, that kind of sucks but that's life'. The sense of entitlement amongst the gaming community is truly ludicrous.