Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Listen Below!

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Weird and boring. I seriously dislike that genre of music. I felt myself falling asleep. So to counter-act this lame nonsense...

...GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!!
    There is no signature here. Move along.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

After the initial humour of Arnie wears off, turns into a very poor song, sort of generic Killswitch Engage style faux-metal that 13 year old kiddies listen to on Kerrang! because they think it's HARDCORE!!1 and anything actually metal scares them.

this one is definitely going to be a case of love or hate
    Last edited by DK; 09-12-2009 at 02:56 PM.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

hahahahah love who could not?

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    After the initial humour of Arnie wears off, turns into a very poor song, sort of generic Killswitch Engage style faux-metal that 13 year old kiddies listen to on Kerrang! because they think it's HARDCORE!!1 and anything actually metal scares them.
    I think you missed the joke.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

It was supposed to be funny? Oh. Well okay. Again aside from Arnie at the start it pretty much failed in that respect as well. Unless the "joke" is supposed to be them being intentionally poor, which, well, doesn't change the fact that the song is poor. Although going from the fact that apparently the song is done by some singer from a crappy metalcore band I am guessing it's just shiet because it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    It was supposed to be funny? Oh. Well okay. Again aside from Arnie at the start it pretty much failed in that respect as well. Unless the "joke" is supposed to be them being intentionally poor, which, well, doesn't change the fact that the song is poor. Although going from the fact that apparently the song is done by some singer from a crappy metalcore band I am guessing it's just shiet because it is what it is.
    It's something of an inside joke. The lead singer basically writes the songs in about five minutes using nothing but hardcore metal cliches. So if it sounds bad, it's because it's meant to be that way, thus coming about on itself to become awesome in a naff kind of way.

I'm interested in your previous comment though; what do you consider "real" metal or music that you prefer in general?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Anything from old school shiet from Maiden and Priest to all the crazy norwegian made in sheds really. I just don't get down for all this kerrang metal-lite that has popped up over the last 10 years or so. I don't really know where to put my finger on it, maybe it's just down to the production or whatever, but it just doesn't sound right. Like I can hear the elements of metal in it, but it ain't heavy. It ain't hard, it ain't metal. Like I said I'm not really sure what it is I don't know enough about the intricacies of music production for all that .

I mean I never used to be this way, it would be the case back in the day I'd listen to something like Nile and feel like my ears were being assaulted by ghetto noise of death. But just after a gradual progression of being introduced to the more extreme varieties of it nowadays stuff like Metalcore just seems completely devoid of soul and feeling or anything heavy.

anyway kind of going off topic, should dredge up or start another metal thread if we wanna go on about it really. someone needs to listen to scrumpleberrys disturbing ass song

you'd better watch it too for the full effect

How's about this then?

And I agree, a lot of modern metal doesn't really excite me either. ADM is probably the exception since I love AHHNALD with a passion.

Gaze Upon the Mega Man! JackNapier's Avatar

Always liked Pantera, as well as Anselmo's other works like Down. Although I must say, Vinnie Paul's new band Hellyeah doesn't appeal to me at all.

Soo, have fun listening to all of this one . Be thankful I didn't post Octavarium.

YouTube - Dream Theater "Learning To Live"
    Last edited by JackNapier; 09-12-2009 at 11:43 PM.

>:C

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by JackNapier View Post
    Always liked Pantera, as well as Anselmo's other works like Down. Although I must say, Vinnie Paul's new band Hellyeah doesn't appeal to me at all.

Soo, have fun listening to all of this one . Be thankful I didn't post Octavarium.

YouTube - Dream Theater "Learning To Live"
    God damn you lol.
    But im actually glad you posted it cause I thought it was pretty good! You can definitely make out that its older metal/rock. Ive never been a fan of that kind of singing to be honest but i like the guitar and (occasional) synthesiser.
    I also like the acoustic break in the middle of the song and the solos. The keyboard solo was a little unexpected lol.
    Basically: Its a very well paced and sequenced song and the rest is a matter of taste I guess. Personally, I quite like it but its not my favourite.

Now here is my song. Its a very very chilled out and soothing drum and bass song (the sub genre is Liquid DnB) that I found while browsing through Liquicity's channel (one of my favourite music channels!!).
    You need to turn up the volume for this one to hear all the subtle ambiances.
    YouTube - Madmen & Poets vs Soulgrifter & Ill-esha - Save Me
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-13-2009 at 02:13 AM.

I actually find the drums and base to be annoying in this song. I know drums get to be repetitive in the majority of songs, but typically the drums tend to be more of an awesome spice to a song then the basis of it, where as here the drums act as the predominant instrement, and while that can work, it's highly repetitive and uninteresting.

I'll give credit to good vocals, but the lyrics feel uninspired, so the good vocals aren't really put to very good use.

Now, I give you an artist from a Genre I normally hate. Rap.

YouTube - Blu & Exile - "So(ul)Amazing"

No one noticed that poor scrumpleberry got skipped!
    So, I'll do both hers and NeoCracker's.

NeoCracker:
    I thought it was nice and chillaxing. Although it reminds me of a lot of other rap/r&b/hip hop music out there, I still enjoyed it.

Scrumpleberry:
    I thought that both the video and the song was very charming and adorable. The dad rubbing the spider's leg and the whole "Do you know the proper name?" ... "ARACHNID!" was hilarious xD
    In other words, I dig it!

Devendra Banhart - Carmensita

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

@Breine: Very catchy. Cant comment on the lyrics though lol. The video is also pretty funky. BTW, that guy looks like Russel Brand rofl.

Anyway, I was thinking hard about which song to post that would have the most chance of avoiding getting taken apart like nearly every song on here lol, but ultimately just decided to post something I like.

YouTube - Led Zeppelin- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    Last edited by Croyles; 09-13-2009 at 03:19 PM.