Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP 3000 vs PSP Go

Default PSP 3000 vs PSP Go

So after many years there are finally enough titles on PSP that I'm interested in that I wouldn't mind getting one.

I'm currently trying to find any reason to get a PSP Go over a 3000, and I'm strongly leaning toward the 3000. So far the pros I'm hearing for the Go are:

-Weight
    -Battery Life
    -Bluetooth

-Weight I don't care that much about. I'm sure it's not going to kill me to use the slightly heavier one.

-Battery life is probably a non-issue. I have a AC/USB outlet in my car if I reeaaally worry about the battery on a long trip, but I doubt I'll have any problems with the normal battery life.

-Bluetooth doesn't seem to present any overwhelming benefits to me. Perhaps someone can fill me in on the pros of bluetooth in the future that I'm not thinking about.

The Cons aren't extremely significant, but they are cons nonetheless.

-Smaller Screen
    -No UMD
    -Price

-It's not much smaller, but it's smaller.

-This one hurts. Accompanied with the news that digital downloads aren't cheaper (even though they are cheaper for the company) and that I may be screwed on extras that come with the box. I could get most games in UMD via Amazon for cheaper than the cost of the digital download.

-The price wouldn't be as much of an issue if I felt like the Go offered something significant, but paying an extra 80 bucks for something that's seemingly less quality seems like a bad idea.

I'll probably wait (patient man I am) until Black Friday and hope for ridiculous deals or bundles. This might give me some more time (after the Go is actually out) to look at reasons one might be better, but I'm trying to do my homework ahead of time.

Anyone out there have on observations or suggestions?

The only way to get the most out of a PSP is to install custom firmware. Can you do that on the Go? Also, I've never really noticed an issue with the weight of the old slim PSP's, or battery life. In fact, a lot of those cons are just superficial and I have never seen them as an issue.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    The only way to get the most out of a PSP is to install custom firmware. Can you do that on the Go? Also, I've never really noticed an issue with the weight of the old slim PSP's, or battery life. In fact, a lot of those cons are just superficial and I have never seen them as an issue.
    You cant install custom firmware on the 3000...
    Btw, the battery life is the same for the Go and the 3000, they decided to put in a cheaper battery for the Go.

I've heard the biggest issue with the PSP Go is the actual controls. They're small and close together and it's just extremely uncomfortable.

I would definitely get a 3000 over a Go personally. They're really doing very little to make the Go seem worthwhile.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also to consider storage devices. How are games stored? Pro duo sticks? How much does a decent sized Pro duo cost in dollars? What will happen if for whatever reason your games are wiped out? Will there be a record so you can re-download for free or will you have to pay again? UMD format games might save to the Pro duo stick but if the stick gets wiped at least it's just file saves. I've not paid much attention to the PSP Go and I really should, it's my job after all to know these things but I have to say for me unless Sony is stopping the UMD format for the PSP then the answer is clear, go with the 3000.

the better choice is the 2000 since it doesn't have the scanline issues the 3000 has... all games you buy from the PSN are yours to redownload as you wish incase of memcard wipes... the PSPGo! has internal memory and uses SD Cards for memory expansion whereas the 2000/3000 use memstick Pro Duo, which i like better myself... it also apears that Sony is not getting rid of UMD since the demand for it is still great so those of us that opted for UMD can still get the bonus goodies you often get for special editions, no goodies for the DigitalDownload only ppl...

I figure storage will be better on 3000 just because it allows larger (physical) sticks, which are cheaper and I can always buy them at 16 (even 32) GB.

I've heard the thing about 2000 vs 3000 with homebrew an such. I'd consider a 2000, but where are the big differences? I don't know nearly enough about all of that stuff.

... off to research.

Neither.

PSP 2000 ftw.

Homebrew differences? Um, lets see, with CFW you can....

Run PSX, PSP games right off an ISO.

Download emulators to play some retro games on the PSP.

Hook your PSP with the many online CFW plugins to do basically anything like playing on a PC with RemoteJoy, or playing on a TV without a Component cable.

2000 & 3000 use the exact same memory stick, it's the Go! that uses the physicaly larger SD Cards...
    i have a 2000 but do not run custom firmware because i dislike anything that could lead to piracy which lead to the game publishers not wanting to make PSP games for a long time, anyway any PSX game i may want might eventualy end up on the PSN anyway (FFVII did)... the UMD drive isn't nearly as loud as some proclaim nor does it use that much power compared to the digital versions on the memstick, i've noticed no difference in power consumption between playing Crisis Core on UMD and FFVII from memstick, and most amateur homebrew games are crap and not worth it anyway... they also have a nice little solution for carrying a bunch of UMDs in the form of a convenient compact carrying case (which i have never had any problems with) so no need really to store all you games on memstick, and they also make a nice protective case that has a screen guard and space to hold 2 more UMDs and memsticks, i highly suggest one of these as it sucks to have the nice PSP screen scratched, the screen is actualy made of glass and not plactic...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I got to play the PSP Go at a Playstation Blog meetup last friday during PAX and here's my observations:

Weight difference really isn't an issue. While the Go feels ridiculously light and amazing in your hands, the 3000 has a nice weight to it as well. Either one really wins.

The deal-breaker for me, though, is the controls. After playing both for longer periods, I absolutely have to say it feels better on the thumbs playing games on the Go, instead of the 3000. On normal PSP's, it feels like I'm bending my thumb too much inward at the edges to get the controls, and it hurts after long play sessions. On the Go, however, because the buttons, and especially the stick, are more in the middle, your hands are more over the controls with your thumb coming down, more extended.

Maybe I just hold a regular PSP wrong, but when it comes to controls, the Go is 1000x better to me.

As some have said, the battery life is the same, which isn't really good at all. Its average seems to be 2-3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    2000 & 3000 use the exact same memory stick, it's the Go! that uses the physicaly larger SD Cards...
    i have a 2000 but do not run custom firmware because i dislike anything that could lead to piracy which lead to the game publishers not wanting to make PSP games for a long time, anyway any PSX game i may want might eventualy end up on the PSN anyway (FFVII did)... the UMD drive isn't nearly as loud as some proclaim nor does it use that much power compared to the digital versions on the memstick, i've noticed no difference in power consumption between playing Crisis Core on UMD and FFVII from memstick, and most amateur homebrew games are crap and not worth it anyway... they also have a nice little solution for carrying a bunch of UMDs in the form of a convenient compact carrying case (which i have never had any problems with) so no need really to store all you games on memstick, and they also make a nice protective case that has a screen guard and space to hold 2 more UMDs and memsticks, i highly suggest one of these as it sucks to have the nice PSP screen scratched, the screen is actualy made of glass and not plactic...
    The UMD takes a lot of power actually, and I can personally vouch for this, though to know why you have to realize how the mod works to play games without the UMD, and off a stick, at least to an extent.

It tricks the system into thinking there is a UMD in the drive, and it activates the drive, so if you don't know what you are doing, it will drain the battery. Though if you find the right options, you can prevent the drive from spinning, which basically doubles your battery life. I tend to get around 5 hours off the thing playing without the damned UMD spinning.

Edit: Mind you, this seriously leaves me at a complete loss as to how the Go!'s battery life is still only 2-3 hours without the UMD. Sony had to have cut some corners somewhere.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson
    Neither.

PSP 2000 ftw.

Hook your PSP with the many online CFW plugins to do basically anything like playing on a PC with RemoteJoy, or playing on a TV without a Component cable.
    This, but if you're not into piracy I'd recommend the 3000. I just wouldn't want to get gimped out of a certain game because it wasn't in digital download form (unless I misunderstand how the PSP Go works).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson
    Neither.

PSP 2000 ftw.

This, but if you're not into piracy I'd recommend the 3000. I just wouldn't want to get gimped out of a certain game because it wasn't in digital download form (unless I misunderstand how the PSP Go works).
    I'd still suggest the 2000 if you can get a hold of one. When compared to the 3000's supposedly better screen, the 3000's quality is no better. And it's not like it can do anything the 2000 can't. In addition a lot of people still think the 2000 looks nicer in many cases, where as I haven't heard anyone say that about the 3000.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Software updates, new consoles coming out every time .. This is exactly why I dont like Sony and their PSP..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> Software updates, new consoles coming out every time .. This is exactly why I dont like Sony and their PSP..
    As opposed to Nintendo and their Wii and DS editions?
    Microsoft with arcade, pro, elite.
    Their all the same

Whats wrong with software updates? Thats one of the best things to come out this gen.