Thread: Training Music?

Default Training Music?

I'm going to assume that most people here have a period in which they train for hours to make their characters stronger. Whether it's stealing magic, making materia stronger, or filling out the sphere grid. I'm also going to assume that after a few hours of listening to the same damn World Map song or area song, you feel like stabbing your ear drums out.

If you're one of those people, do you like to listen to other music while training? If so, what do you listen to while you rapidly kill monsters and gain levels?

I've found that listening to Metallica (mostly the Black Album) in VII seems to get my blood going. For VIII and X, Muse seems to work beautifully. I haven't tried anything for IV-VI or IX, yet.
    How does one use fire?

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I listened to Patton Oswalt and the soundtrack of Majora's Mask while I powered up Zidane's Thievery ability.

I just pop whatever in. I once listened to Prince's "Musicology" album while grinding in FFX, and that worked out well I think. Funky stuffzzz.

But yeah, whatever I feel like listening to.

never understood why some people call level grinding "training" when there is no real training involved but anyway, i hardly ever listen to anything but the game music... i've never found the game music to be boring but on the rare occasion, like when Haley's Commet passes, i'll get the urge to listen to some CD and then i'll just turn the ingame music off and play whichever CD is gnawing at the back of my mind since it'll be a while before i'm moving on to the next story line or area...

Wow I've never heard of grinding used as a term for training. you learn something new everyday.
    How does one use fire?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I just enjoy the game music, it doesnt matter how many battles i fight the sweet victory fanfare is my reward at the end..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

During level grinding, and only during grinding, I will listen to random CDs or playlists. My favorite CDs to listen to while grinding have been: The Garden State Soundtrack, OK Computer by Radiohead, Kid A by Radiohead, and the Twilight Soundtrack.

EDIT: I didn't know people grinded in X...I never had to...I think that and VII are the only ones I didn't grind in! But then, I don't do uber bosses.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to when I was younger but I don't really have training/grind fests in Final Fantasy anymore. I might fight a couple battles for a little while moving on, but in that case, I really just love the FF battle music typically, I don't think there's a game's battle music that I dislike, FFIII being my least favorite I still don't have a problem with it at all.

In cases of FFVII, VIII, IX, and X especially I just really love the battle music, that's probably why those are my 4 favorite games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I used to when I was younger but I don't really have training/grind fests in Final Fantasy anymore. I might fight a couple battles for a little while moving on, but in that case, I really just love the FF battle music typically, I don't think there's a game's battle music that I dislike, FFIII being my least favorite I still don't have a problem with it at all.

In cases of FFVII, VIII, IX, and X especially I just really love the battle music, that's probably why those are my 4 favorite games.
    I agree with everything you said except for what you said about X's battle music. Man, that was just awful. I can't stand that piece...

i always found the battle music annoying and obtrusive in all RPGs, you could be walking around in an area with this beautiful music playing then BAM!!! huge noise ruining the moment... it was especialy worse during points where the party are supposed to be sad, i found i hated battle music during FFVII when there were points where the battle music did not interfere with the atmosphere generated by the field music, like during a couple of the JENOVA fights... i'm glad they did away with it in FFXII, i hope it stays gone forever, as battle music does nothing but ruin the mood...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

There's no reason for me to block out the sound from the game, when they're so magnificent. To me that's doing it injustice no matter how long I'm grinding for, I never grow tired of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I agree with everything you said except for what you said about X's battle music. Man, that was just awful. I can't stand that piece...
    lol NOOOO i thought that track was awesome. I can see how it got on some people's nerves though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly
    i'm glad they did away with it in FFXII, i hope it stays gone forever, as battle music does nothing but ruin the mood...
    While I think certain games should keep the field music of specific story events going in the battles (VII did this great), I think what you just said was a travesty.

Don't get me wrong, I loooove Uematsu's work but sometimes...hearing it over and over again kinda kills me in the inside.

Speaking of X's music, I felt like a lot of the songs where just variations of the game's main theme such as To Zanarkand and Suteki da ne. I am probably wrong but that's how I felt about it.

Well I grind because I'm a bit of a perfectionist...o.o i like to max out my characters. hahaha
    How does one use fire?