View Poll Results: Do you really care about this game?.

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 64.29%
  • No

20 35.71%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: >> Do you really care about this game?.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I've had a lot of fun playing FFXI so it's worth trying out.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I seriously don't see the issue with giving it a numbered title. Does it really pain people so much? I just don't understand how you can hate it... Literally don't understand, if someone can bring forth a valid arguement I might actually respect the opinion against it, otherwise really... really?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

1) How would you feel if FF15 was released as a FPS? For some, including myself, the difference between FFOnline and FF is as stark as that. It doesn't upset me that much, but I don't feel it appropriate naming nomenclature. FFT is my favorite game of all time, but I think having it released as FF8 (I think it came out slightly after 7, don't remember) would fit in very well.

2) It has to do with the development cycle. If we were to get a new numbered FF, say, every 3 years, making an online FF would mean on offline offering for 6 years. I know it isn't as simple as this, but the feeling that I have to sit out a game and wait for the next one isn't something I relish.

That being said, anyone who gets seriously upset about the naming of a video game needs to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    1) How would you feel if FF15 was released as a FPS? For some, including myself, the difference between FFOnline and FF is as stark as that. It doesn't upset me that much, but I don't feel it appropriate naming nomenclature. FFT is my favorite game of all time, but I think having it released as FF8 (I think it came out slightly after 7, don't remember) would fit in very well.
    Considering MMORPG is an RPG, it's a bit of a different comparison (people really just bitch about the monthly fee part anyway). However, I would simple say (just as I did with FF7oC) that I wouldn't play it and move on.

2) It has to do with the development cycle. If we were to get a new numbered FF, say, every 3 years, making an online FF would mean on offline offering for 6 years. I know it isn't as simple as this, but the feeling that I have to sit out a game and wait for the next one isn't something I relish.
    Actually... they have different teams working on FFXI and FFXIV, so the development cycle point is pretty much nothing. FFXIV is going to be released in the same year as FFXIII so there is no real issue. People have the misconception of how big Square-Enix is. They don't just have one team working on all their games one after the other - they have heaps of teams working on different things all at the same time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions

1) They may 'both be RPGs', but nowadays the spectrum of what is called an RPG is so imense that the label almost means nothing. I'm not really a very social gamer, so the difference between a single player RPG and a single player FPS is about equal to that between single player and mmo. (I'm not hating on MMOs, I have played some and enjoyed it, but it was something completely different to me.)

2) Different development teams my be involved, but there is no way you can't tell me developing 3 games (FF13,14Online,15) will take just as long as developing two. (FF13, FF14Offline). I bring this up, as I mentioned earlier, for someone like me having a FF14Online is like having them skip a game in the series, so after 13 I have to wait extra long for the next 'real' FF. Granted developing it under the name FFOnline 2 wouldn't make FF14Offline come any faster, but aving it named FF14 just serves to rub it in our faces how much longer it will be to FF15.

Hope that last paragraph made sense.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Actually, sometimes a game won't be done very much faster just by throwing more manpower at it. It's not unlikely that three fairly big teams can work a lot more efficiently than 2 very large teams, and thus get more projects done per employee.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Personally, I can't wait to play it. At the end of the day it's a FF. Whether I'll continue to do so depends on whether I'll enjoy the game.

Str8 Pimpin'

If Aion doesnt screw things up hardcore like AoC and Warhammer did, maybe it'll actually compare to WoW. If not, maybe this will be the first mmo to actually challenge it? I'd like to see how this does.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Actually, sometimes a game won't be done very much faster just by throwing more manpower at it. It's not unlikely that three fairly big teams can work a lot more efficiently than 2 very large teams, and thus get more projects done per employee.
    Absolutely true, but the upper level design talent is also a finite group of people, and they can only do one thing at a time. Hiring two teams of programmers isn't nearly as difficult as hiring two high quality game designers.

In terms of sense from SE's perspective I agree 100% with naming it FF14. Having it as a numbered FF will increase sales prospects significantly. Ultimately it is SE's game, and I have no objections to them doing what they want with it. I was just voicing reasons I thought not having it a numbered FF seemed more appropriate to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It could also be noted that the name means nothing as to how much work will be required and how many people will be working on it, or even who will be working on it. So yeah they could have named it Doop Doop the Moose in Djibouti but this wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever to any game's timescales.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Who cares, it's just a freaking name.
    Who cares? Obviously the man does as you read his post. The name matters to him me, and may others because we have a great attachment to the series. When you grow up we something and seeing at as one of the best things in the world and when you see things are coupled in that don't really fit into the premise of what we ensure what this series stands for, we feel reluctant to that change. Like a little jab at me heart. To me it would seem like giving Tactics or a Chocobo's Dungeon game an official numbered title when they are indeed of different genres like XI and XIV from the rest of the series.

I do not care too much for this one myself. For one I won't be able to play it because I won't be able to afford it and secondly it doesn't look much different than XI to me. It looks like it is possibly in the same world so would it follow similar patterns? The major thing for me is the inability to play it.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 09-25-2009 at 03:23 AM.

idc about the name and I grew up with FF *shrug* Maybe it's just people that are too picky. It's still an rpg so it's not there's a real reason to feel like someone should have to defend why they gave it a number.

Absolutely true, but the upper level design talent is also a finite group of people, and they can only do one thing at a time. Hiring two teams of programmers isn't nearly as difficult as hiring two high quality game designers.
    Actually, they do have a vast range of lead roles in each department.

The ignorance in this thread makes me sad.

And yet again Depression Moon's post made no sense and had no grounding.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm not looking forward to this game. Though it's not a reflection on the game itself, I just lack the money to pay for the fee, the game itself and a decent internet connection on which to play it.

If I had money (and perhaps time) then I would probably look forward to it quite a bit. I like MMORPGs but never really had the opportunity to play them.

The complaining about the name? Probably stems from their completionist attitudes. They want to say they've beat all the games in the main series, or at least own them. What good is owning a game you can't/don't want to play?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Hell, I bought FFXI anyway. It's been taken out of it's case once

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It doesn't cost more than a burger a month. Well, a good burger anyway :p.

To put things in perspective,my brother spends at least twice the monthly fee on alcohol when he goes to a party, and he does this at least twice a month. It's nothing but a matter of priorities, I would say. He's not a particulary rich guy either.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?