View Poll Results: Do you really care about this game?.

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 64.29%
  • No

20 35.71%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: >> Do you really care about this game?.

Default I might play it

depending on the cost and whether I can play solo.
    Not interested in working in teams with others.

The scenery looks pretty good and I hope some of the problems allegedly associated with FFXI have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGRYWOLF View Post
    Not interested in working in teams with others.
    What's the point in playing an MMO then? Sure, I understand solo'ing means being more casual, which I am all for, but in any MMO you still need team work.

The scenery looks pretty good and I hope some of the problems allegedly associated with FFXI have been fixed.
    It's funny. I've been looking around at all the new FFXIV communities that have recently popped up and they complain about FFXI, yet they are the people that only played for a few months when FFXI was released and are so out of touch with how much the game has improved, that their comparisons and posts regarding FFXI are just embarrasingly out of date.

FFXI has it's problems because it is an MMO from a much older generation, not only that but they tried to cater to a console that was much more inferior to a PC (PS3 is in a completely different league to what PS2 was; we have great network support, hard drive space (which Sony discontinued support for PS2), etc. etc.). To think Square Enix don't spend a lot of money on market research, especially since the MMO genre has picked up so much over the last decade, is ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm just blabbering on.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Default I don't play MMOs...

not even the free ones.

I prefer to play alone.
    I suspect a lot of people do and for financial reasons it would good for Square to find a way to appeal to people like me.

I did sign up for the beta so we'll see if I get selected.

You don't play MMO's? Then why would you want to play this one? You can't just run in and start demanding unreasonable things.

It'd be like me running into an FPS and demanding that I have elements from a platformer and role playing game. You know, because it'd be financialy beneficial to appeal to non-FPS gamers.

Square Enix are well aware of what the MMO community wants, and have even stated they want a solid balance between casual and hardcore players.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Default Hrumpf...

I'm not demanding anything.

Square can do as they like.

They never ask me what I would like them to do.Never have.

I don't consider boosting solo play to be unreasonable.I don't know why anyone would say it is unreasonable.

As it is we'll see how the game developes and see what happens.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ome, stop trying to get a person who wouldn't normally play a MMO turned off to this game altogether.

I 'didn't play MMOs' either, but then I played FFXI and loved it. I also consider myself more of a solo player and was unwilling to try a group based game, but the allure of the FF series (and Miriel's prodding) turned me on to XI. Even in that game I do most of what I can solo if I can manage it (which admittedly is not a lot).

It's perfectly reasonable to want some solo content in FFXIV. You draw people in for the solo stuff, and the people they meet and team up with is what makes them stay.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It's perfectly reasonable to want some solo content in FFXIV. You draw people in for the solo stuff, and the people they meet and team up with is what makes them stay.
    I have nothing against solo'ing, but you can't just ignore the fact that in MMO's you need team work in order to accomplish important stuff (quests, end-game, etc.). So what is the point of playing an MMO if all one does is solo all the content? It kind of defeats the purpose of what an MMO is.

I encourage all to try MMO's, as I think they are a wonderful genre in video games, but I also try to be realistic about it. If what I have to say turns someone off this game, then they most likely didn't want to play in the first place.

Edit: Just so as not to get confused, I really want a lot more soloable content, but I also want to be part of a community that works together - that is the main draw of an MMO, imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Just because he's not interested in working with teams doesn't mean that he won't give it a shot once he's done all the solo stuff he can do. He's shown interest in "giving it a go" so hopefully, rather than put him off the game, we can encourage him to enjoy it - maybe we can take the opportunity to show him the joys of teamwork later on when the time is right. The more the merrier, overall, though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I suppose. However, I don't think it's discouraging him. I am just telling him how it is in my own opinion of playing MMO's for the last decade.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I'm pretty much with Omecle on this one. It seems like an awful waste of time to try an MMORPG for its solo content without any desire to play with others. Certainly playing alone could foster an interest in the cooperative gameplay, but when people come in saying, "Not interested in working in teams with others," in a discussion about an MMORPG, it naturally sends up some red flags.

There are plenty of offline titles which simulate the MMORPG game model. It's much more reasonable to suggest one of those titles than it is to try and encourage an individual who has no desire to play with others to play a game whose concept revolves entirely around player interaction. MMORPGs inherently involve player interaction. If someone doesn't want to work together with other players, why should anyone expect him to enjoy an MMO? It doesn't add up. Omecle's "discouragement" is really more a word of caution, and warranted, I think, given ANGRYWOLF's position.

Default Red flags...

That's a pretty preposterous statement.

As it is my interest in the game has waned after what I felt was an inappropriate comment/observation.

So I'm finished discussing the game.I do hope it does well when it comes out and that people enjoy playing it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    There are plenty of offline titles which simulate the MMORPG game model.
    How many of those are Final Fantasy? (besides XII...)

I'm just saying I don't play MMORPGs, I play Final Fantasy. I played FFXI as a FF first and a MMO second. After three years that's how I still play it. I'll never touch WoW, or any of those other games, because I don't like those types of games. The connection to FF and SE is what kept me into it. If I had been 'told like it is' before I played this game I may not have tried it. That is the attitude I am trying to discourage.

I generally don't like playing with people. I'm more interested in accomplishments for my own satisfaction. Most of the accomplishments I have achieved in XI is with pickup groups of people didn't know and quickly forgot. Sure, I made plenty of friends, and doing random stuff with Eleni was some of the most fun I had. But I have found that people are consistently unreliable and greedy so I have done whatever I could without them.

As I have said many times before, games like this, with such an unbelievable variety of content, are whatever you make of them. If you want to play alone all the time, feel free to. I don't know how far you will get in terms of storyline and character development, but I'm sure (and hope for my own sake as well) there will be plenty of things for you to do. Don't be discouraged by people who ask 'why are you playing a MMO?'. This isn't just a MMO, this is Final Fantasy. That is why it is called Final Fantasy XIV Online, and not Final Fantasy Online Part 2. It is a main entry in this legendary series and it should be open for all types of players to enjoy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I have an interest in it, but most likely I'll be unable to pay the monthly fees.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

That's a pretty preposterous statement.

As it is my interest in the game has waned after what I felt was an inappropriate comment/observation.

So I'm finished discussing the game.I do hope it does well when it comes out and that people enjoy playing it.:|
    Uh, there are no inappropriate comments there, you're overreacting.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I wanted to know what people have heard about a possible 360 version?

I know that SE wanted there to be a 360 version but Microsoft apparently doesn't like cross-platform servers. For those of you who dont know what that means, it lets PS3 players play with Xbox 360 and PC players. I heard they were trying to work out the kinks with Microsoft. Infinity Ward tried to do this with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but there were slight variation in both versions so they decided against it. but i mean if Sony's PSN is down to work with Xbox Live, i see no reason for this "possible milestone" in the video game industry to go untouched.