Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BLM swords

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ah, I suppose it might come more in handy later on. Right now Sleep takes almost as long to cast as my other high level spells.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Oh yeah, and sometimes your bind could get resisted :p
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    What if your sleep spell gets interrupted?
    If you're letting the enemy get that close to you, then you're probably not going to survive the encounter as a BLM no matter what you do. That aside, even at high levels, it's difficult to build a spell interrupt set without sacrificing large amounts of other important stats. I'd imagine that a spell interruption rate down set, even completely optimized, would not prove as reliable as other options. If you're truly worried about the enemy getting a hit or two in, utsusemi or stoneskin are far superior options.

As spell interrupt rate gear will not lower interruption rates for knock back, paralysis, etc. and only affects the damage threshold, utsusemi and stoneskin are infinitely superior and neither require you to sacrifice valuable stat bonuses which will help you land the spells. Gearing yourself to avoid resists is far more important than gearing you to avoid interrupts.

Edit: Although this debate does make me wonder if it's worth it for NINs to invest in gear for lowering spell interruption rates for utsusemi recast. With ichi and ni at their disposal, this usually isn't an issue, but it's the only time I can imagine such a set might truly be worth sacrificing other stats, assuming of course it's macroed out after casting.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

I'd imagine Evasion is more useful for a NIN or THF trying to cast utsusemi than spell interruption down is, due to their natural awesome evasion. Other jobs could benefit, but if you're /NIN as a melee you probably won't need it anyway. NIN wouldn't need to macro out EVA+ gear, either, since it's unlikely they'd be anything but tanking.
    Last edited by WildRaubtier; 09-24-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I used that one katana when I levelled nin to 37, it really helped.

What level are you Levian?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

36, probably going to hit 37 while farming the next hour.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Cbc View Post
    I'd imagine Evasion is more useful for a NIN or THF trying to cast utsusemi than spell interruption down is, due to their natural awesome evasion. Other jobs could benefit, but if you're /NIN as a melee you probably won't need it anyway. NIN wouldn't need to macro out EVA+ gear, either, since it's unlikely they'd be anything but tanking.
    A NIN's evasion stat, even capped and geared in a pretty solid evasion set, isn't as reliable as you seem to think. Perhaps with the evasion bonus from yonin, but I wouldn't have confidence in that kind of set-up. Not that a NIN's shadows should go down in any instance except that of an area of effect attack, and if you're taking a mob that uses those frequently, you shouldn't be using a NIN unless you have a death wish anyway.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

I meant "awesome" in a relative sense! What I was trying to say was that you'd almost need to fulltime a Spell Reduction set to benefit, and you'd be better off fulltiming evasion instead. On further reflection, you could probably just macro your gear in while casting, but as I understand it, a NIN's inventory is almost always bursting at the seems, which makes carrying even more gear somewhat unattractive.

But I can't really talk! My NIN is 33 at the moment and I don't plan on taking it past 40.