Thread: BLM swords

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default BLM swords

Hello there. I got a sword equippable by BLM's from a quest I just did, Small Sword. However, the Sword skill is not displayed in my combat skills. Is it not possible to gain sword skill while fighting as a BLM?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Don't think so. There are a few weapons like that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't have to raise that stat under another job for it to have an effect when I'm BLM though? I take it the sword is just forever set to a certain strength?

There's no point having a sword on a black mage - they have no skill in it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I figured it would've been nice for soloing, and it probably would've been if I had used it on lower levels too. I'm level 33 now and I hit about the same with the LVL 19 sword as I do with my club, and my club skills are 66.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

They have no skill with sword? Not even F or something? Haha, that's pretty crazy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's the same with RDM. We have no native staff skill, yet we're are able to equip a number of different staves. Any skill we have will come from our support job (which means we'll be unable to skill-up on our main, and like everything else from our sub, it will be gimped to half our main's level). BLM/RDM is probably the easiest way to get sword skill, but it's not really worth it.

If your job has no skill in the weapon, it's not worth using for melee purposes by any means. Without a native skill level, it means you're only going to get something like 8 natural attack in the weapon. All other bonuses to accuracy and attack will come exclusively from DEX and STR modifiers and whatever you can get in gear and food. This means you'll be horribly inaccurate with the weapon, and even when the blow does connect, it's not going to be worth much.

BLM gets some skill with a scythe, I believe, so that's worth pursuing if you really desire to melee at all on your BLM. More often than not, though, BLM is just too damn squishy and lacks any significant native defensive spells to be an effective melee job even solo. BLM can solo a lot, but it's usually by making things go boom.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ah, thanks! I'll probably get some spell interruption reduction gear and stick to nuking then.

Not sure how far you plan on taking BLM, but trust me you will love nuking so much more than melee'ing. Such huge numbers you can pull! From level 50 to 60 I solo'd by using ancient magic on beastmen pets (doing around 1000-1200 damage on them and one shotting them). Very fast exp.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I plan for it to be my main. If I never reach 75, I suspect my BLM will be closest! Nuking is indeed very fun, I was in my first nuking party yesterday with 4 BLM's and a WHM, where we all nuked gob pets with a firaga each. So nice to just use 1 or 2 spells and get 250-300 exp for it. I could get used to that.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, some weapons and shields can be equipped by classes that don't have any skill in it. Combat skill only matters when you actually try to use a weapon to attack a target/block a target's attack on you, but the stats on those items are always active, regardless of if you try to melee with them or not.

Genbu's shield for example, is equippable by WHM, BLM, RDM, BRD, SMN, BLU, but only WHM and RDM gets native shield skill. However, the 10% physical damage reduction, the +10 evasion, and the elemental weakness/strength on it will always be active for all of the jobs, even if they're not even engaged to the mob.

I also wish I could use this shield on my other non-mage jobs :(. 10 evasion would be really great for a thief!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Ah, thanks! I'll probably get some spell interruption reduction gear and stick to nuking then.
    I wouldn't worry about stacking spell interruption gear, to be honest. As a BLM, you have enough tools at your disposal that you shouldn't have much trouble getting a nuke off. If enemies are getting too close for comfort, sleep them and move away before nuking again. If they're still persistent, you've got bind, too. I forget when BLM gets it, but you'll also get sleep II, and if there's nothing else in the area to worry about, sleepga is also an option. At level 42, if you go BLM/RDM, you also have access to gravity, which will slow their movement speed allowing you to kite enemies for a while. That said, if you can kill an enemy in three nukes (nuke > sleep > nuke > bind > nuke), you're probably fighting something too strong to handle on your own anyway.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What if your sleep spell gets interrupted?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What's up with Sleep really? I just use it if I get aggro from something I can't kill. They just wake up if I nuke them anyway. I usually just stick to Bind when I want to nuke something.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm not sure but bind might have a cooldown that's not over by the time you cast your second nuke, therefore you sleep them instead.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?