• Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright people this thread is a retrospective on FFVIII, not determining whether IX was an easy game or not. Please try to stay on topic or I will start deleting irrelevant posts. Go make a new thread about VIII vs IX if its really that important to discuss.

Wow, ten years since its release. It's still one of my favorites. It definitely brings back a lot of nostalgia and makes me want to give it another go. At the time, it brought just enough new gameplay ideas without abandoning the nice classic way of gaming that I had grown accustomed to. Junctioning was really quite fun if you like to play with stats. And I loved the fact that I didn't have to level up too much. I always wanted to hold out for the stat boosting abilities before I went too far up in level.

I doubt the junction system was exploited with new players. If most players were like me, they probably didn't even bother working on their magic junctions until they were well into the game. And besides, even if it is easy to exploit, I don't see how this is any different than power leveling or simply selecting an easy mode in other games. Believe me, drawing magic or excessively playing card games takes a long time and a lot of patience. So if you're exploiting the junction system, good for you, you've earned it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ I agree with that, Shadowdust, for the time you spend drawing you could spend that grinding in other games. People point out you can get the refine ability and buy tents to get curagas, true, that gets your life insane, but not much else unless you're going out and getting those items. You do get a lot of them just by playing but I feel they were spaced out nicely by the game designers as you went along the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Alright people this thread is a retrospective on FFVIII, not determining whether IX was an easy game or not. Please try to stay on topic or I will start deleting irrelevant posts. Go make a new thread about VIII vs IX if its really that important to discuss.
    would you care to grace us with your thoughts, then, Mr. Mod?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFVIII is the only FF game where I probably know the name of all the enemies! Triple Triad is such an awesome mini game. The GF system was also pretty great, gave them some more personality and use.

Happy 10th year.. FF8 was the first FF game I played and is what got me into the Final Fantasy series. FF8 is my personal favorite in the series and its funny because I just started playing it again realizing its been 10 years since its release in NA.

P.S. I'm new so cut me a break I know I'm a few days late on this subject.
    Last edited by Deadwinter66950; 10-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.

I've been dead for months, I just haven't gotten around to laying down yet.

My favorite FF also.
    Ironically I am playing FF7 on the PSN now.
    Right in FF8´s birthday.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I will but I'm in the middle of a new playthrough and was hoping to wait until I finished it to give it a fresh opinion. Unfortunately, I forgot to level up some of Alexander's abilities and now I'm trapped in Esthar grinding to get the Med LV Up ability. Basically, I'm grinding to get Remedy+ items so I can get Doom Train, not to mention this is my wonderful disc with a scratch on it so it may take more time than I want to finish this Disc...

I will but I'm in the middle of a new playthrough and was hoping to wait until I finished it to give it a fresh opinion. Unfortunately, I forgot to level up some of Alexander's abilities and now I'm trapped in Esthar grinding to get the Med LV Up ability. Basically, I'm grinding to get Remedy+ items so I can get Doom Train, not to mention this is my wonderful disc with a scratch on it so it may take more time than I want to finish this Disc...
    You could just go buy a crap load of Remedy and once you get Med LV Up refine them into Remedy+ although I think its 10 Remedy for 1 Remedy+ so I guess it depend on if you have enough Gil to buy it. If I remember correctly you need 6 of each item right?

I've been dead for months, I just haven't gotten around to laying down yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

true, i always get bogged down grinding there.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwinter66950 View Post

You could just go buy a crap load of Remedy and once you get Med LV Up refine them into Remedy+ although I think its 10 Remedy for 1 Remedy+ so I guess it depend on if you have enough Gil to buy it. If I remember correctly you need 6 of each item right?
    I have remedy's and all the other items. Hell, one of my first encounters on the Esthar continent was a Malboro that I not only beat but was kind enough to drop 8 Malboro Tentacles. I just need to level up Alexander's abilities. The problem is that I don't have Med Data learned (200ap) and Med Lv Up only becomes available when that is learned and I could have sworn its a 200+ AP ability.

Why this is an issue is because I'm trapped in Esthar where the majority of my random encounters are early level monsters that drop 1AP while the Malboro's are my only real means of getting good AP. If I try to advance the story, I'll lose the ability to get Doomtrain.

true, i always get bogged down grinding there.
    I kinda forgot how much I don't like the third Disc.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

not to mention this is my wonderful disc with a scratch on it so it may take more time than I want to finish this Disc...
    I feel your pain. My playthrough is halted at the space station. I'm awaiting a remedy to the situation.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I grinded and got my Doomtrain last night but feel silly now cause I forgot I could just pick up the Solomon Ring and summon Doomtrain at my leisure afterwards... :sweatdrop: Well, at least I got to use Edea some more.

FFVIII has an amazing soundtrack. All of the music is so beautiful.

I'm not sure that I can say that it has the prettiest soundtrack ever, because I think that award goes to FFX, but it ranks very, very closely.

FF VIII was the first FF I played... So automatically I love it. However, that said the story is a little flawed. I guess I just didn't quite get the need of going through time so many times, got a little bit rediculous there. The drawing system was a bit repeditive as well. None the less FFVIII is awsome ^^