Thread: Empty Crate?!

Default Empty Crate?!

does anyone know if the empty crate at the bottom of the ladder in the corel prison have any significance in the game ?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I always wonder about that.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's used to revive Aeris.
    Figaro Castle

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's a prison, it's full of thieves, thieves steal stuff.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Gilgamesh took it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Gilgamesh took it.
    Yes, what you have to do is open the crate, then find the note written by Enkidu(because squeenix is stupid and just decided that since the names go together, they could use it). Then you have to go through the game, and after you get the Highwind, go talk to the dude and give him Mythril(so don't get Great Gospel), then as you give it to him, you confront him about the note(the note says something about Gilgamesh wanting to make his own super weapon, and needing Mythril). The dude will reveal that he is Gilgamesh, and he will fight you. He is very, very weak, with only 1500 HP. Then, he picks up an ax, chops down a tree, and calls for Humbaba. Then it's game over, and your data is instantly erased. Now, if you did get Great Gospel, Humbaba will already be there, and the game will be saved, and every time you load the game, you will activate a cutscene, making you lose instantly.

(SPOILER)If you actually believe me enough to try it, then I hope it happens to you.

ummm I just tried this and I didn't lose my game memory, but I did forget how to tie my shoes...

It is like all other things. They did not have time to finish the game totally or simply took things out and forgot to remove it.

There is no significance with the Box at Corel (Correll), there is no significance with the locked box in kalm. There is no significance with the cave with the reed ladder (Forgotten capital?)

It is just simple. Some things were taken out and not removed or simply not enough time to finish. The 1/35 soldier (1:35 Shinra Soldier) was supposed to be a side quest with 12 scattered around, but they only managed 2 and left the item in.

I have not verified if 1:35 actually makes you get free soldiers at fort condor, but I will be asking someone to place the side quest back into the PC game

There was also a side quest involving letters at Kalm.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a rumor of a hidden enemy named "Test 0" which could only be fought at that area. If you believe everything you read, it is supposed to have tons of HP, but is not a threat as it does nothing all battle, so the only problem is it takes a lot of time to kill, but if you do you suposedly get masses of EXP and AP.

There is a chance that Test 0 was a "Monster in a Box" type battle, even though I don't think FFVII had any battles like this, but it would fit in perfectly if it was true.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Test 0 is very real, but it only exists in the original Japanese version of the game. It's basically a remnant of the debugging and balancing process (as are most "cheat codes" in old games). But even though you find it at the bottom of the prison well (yet its in-battle scenery is a forest, oddly enough), it's not a monster-in-a-box type.

Since it's in the same location, the chest could also have been something that was used to experiment with the game's programming. But for practical purposes, I think the "place is full of thieves" excuse works well.

Doesn't test 0 appear in PSX debug menu?

It is still present (the pyramid and its AI) in the game file, I have checked. And I have fought the pyramid.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

They're similar, but I don't think the pyramids beg you for mercy as you wail away on them.

That box is meant for decoration purposes, it's irrelevant otherwise.