Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: items in FFs

Default items in FFs

Does anyone else find themselves in most/all FFs completely ignoring items partway into (or even from the start) of a game? I know in FFVIII I'm not sure if I ever even bothering junctioning the item ability. I would use them in the field for convenience, but in battle I ignored them completely. I'm pretty sure in FVII the only items I ever used in battle were pheonix downs and xpotions/elixirs, and only used the latter b/c I had 99 of them and figured I might as well not let them go to waste though a simple cure3 woulda done. In FFIX they make the items' effects better during battle, which encourage their usage a lot more, but by the end I wasn't using them. I could go into detail with the other games, but it would get repetitive saying the same things over and over. Anyone else view items like this in FFs or is it just me?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

It's really a time restraint thing for me. In battle when I need a lot of health quickly I use magic or an elixer. But outside of battle when I can take my time I use my Potions and ethers on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    It's really a time restraint thing for me. In battle when I need a lot of health quickly I use magic or an elixer. But outside of battle when I can take my time I use my Potions and ethers on everyone.
    This.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Outside of certain, usually common, healing items (and then mostly outside of battle), items really do become fairly useless in a lot of RPGs, not just Final Fantasy. In most games you will gain access to magic which does everything items do (and some things they can't), only better (e.g., area-of-effect or full-party healing spells).

Blog Entries

I usually use items to heal outside battle (Potions and what not) to save my mp for in battle healing where I'll need it.

Items also become useful if you dont have a whitemage in the party (in the games with set classes, ffx, ix)
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Most of the special curatives(like Gold Needle and Mallet) don't get used much. I generally use Esuna/Remedy for most of my stuff.
    FF Games I own: 1,2, 4-X, X-2, VII: CC, FFT(PSP), Dissidia
    FF Games I've beaten: 1,2, 4-6, X, X-2, VII: CC
    Now Playing: VII & Dissidia

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It really depends on the game and what I'm doing. I tend to grind so I will use them occasionally since I do this ridiculously early in a title when healing magic isn't available or MP is better served slaying monsters.

In early titles I found some items useful if you want to count equipment with spell effects. They are a godsend in FFI where MP is hardly plentiful even by endgame.

About the only game where I genuinely prefer items over magic is FFTactics. I'll use a white mage to get the job levels and unlock useful classes but in cases where I need quick healing my Chemist is always there to support me. Especially when you get access to guns

I think FFXII is the other title where I use items more freely than usual just to counter the slow cast time. V-X I hardly use the items unless dealing with a Magic Pot.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It's not that items were useless for me, it's just that I didn't like using them because they're consumable. But I'm over that so now I spam items like a mofo. I even put on the Auto Potion ability in IX for the first time :o

Usually items are used out of battle though, to cure effects and whatnot. If ethers (or other MP healing items) are readily available then I will just hoard them, and leave status healing items and health healing items as a backup.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    About the only game where I genuinely prefer items over magic is FFTactics. I'll use a white mage to get the job levels and unlock useful classes but in cases where I need quick healing my Chemist is always there to support me. Especially when you get access to guns .
    I didnt bother with them in tictacs b/c I only used chemist to get to other classes. I used magic over them even in that game =/ I guess items were more useful back in the earlier titles, but it seems like now I wouldnt miss them after an hour or two into a game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You missed out in Tactics cause the Chemist is easily the best healer unless you want to deal with cast times or building overly complicated party set-ups to allow Calculator/Mathematician do the healing. They were also great for getting rid of the obnoxious undead enemies.

I would usually make Mustadio a Chemist with his Machinist support skills so I can keep my long range sniping.

I didn't use Mustadio (on ps version used ramza, beowulf, meliadul, cloud, orlandu), and my healers had 1-2 turn casts for heals so I wasnt really spending time for heals =/

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never had such luck with my white mages so I never really used them. Besides, X-Potions are ridiculously cheap and you don't have to worry about accidentally healing an enemy.

dont accidentally heal enemies if you have a 1 turn cast plus you can heal more than one person with magic =/

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're good you don't need to heal more than one person

In all seriousness, I just could never get my healing magic to go to one turn and two turns is too long in most situations. Of course, I don't need to heal very often once Mustadio joins and snipes everything (not even going to mention Balthier in the port) or get Cid to come in and kill everything...

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my current playthorugh of FFVIII I have at least one party member have the item command junctioned, just in case the member with the most "cure" spells gets silenced. This wasn't much of a problem in FFVII because I usually had something that would prottect me from scilence (and it rarely worked anyway).