Thread: FFXIV Beta - PC Only?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default FFXIV Beta - PC Only?

Destructoid - Final Fantasy XIV beta to be Windows-only at first

Okay, I've given the URL, someone quote the news so I can read it. Stupid work blocks it for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I don't know if you're still at work or whatnot but:

Square-Enix is planning to release a non-traditional beta for Final Fantasy XIV, but the PS3 version isn’t set to be the pilot platform. In an interview with GameWatch (spotted by RPG Site), game producer Hiromichi Tanaka revealed that Windows was to be the platform of choice for an unusual beta. According to RPG Site, the beta won’t be constant -- instead, play time is to be constricted to hourly chunks. In addition to this, the amount of people let in to the beta may be small.

The platform choice isn’t as odd as it seems. The article points out that the lead platform for FFXIV is the PC. That version will be ported to the PS3.

Chances are that Square-Enix may change its beta-tune closer to release. From what we understand, PC-to-PS3 ports aren’t the easiest things to do. It would be bad beans if the MMO launched on the PS3 crippled.

Not be an a** but this sounds good to me. You can read about the horrors of the PS2 FFXI beta somewhere on JPButton Granted, PS3 wouldn't need all the extra hardware that PS2 needed, but I really would like an MMO to be focused from a PC perspective and then ported rather than the other way around. The history of games (and specifically UIs) destroyed by pandering to consoles is immensely frustrating.

Of course, that's just my extreme biased opinion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree. Not sure I'm overly keen on the hourly chunks, mind you.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I've heard that they plan on running several smaller betas with different conditions/requirements such as these hourly limits. Don't have much to back it up, but it makes sense if they're trying to find a balance between hardcore and casual content.