Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one "becomes" a soceress.(spoilers)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default No one "becomes" a soceress.(spoilers)

Often writers of stories will delberatly make the characters missinterpret things in order to make characters more realistic (I mean how would they know evertything?) It is because of these seens I have assumed that all sorceresses are born that way, despite Rinoa's lines.

Not enough? Well I made an intepretation at the Edea parade scene, Rinoa takes an Odine Bangle to supress the Edea's powers, but when she does Edea makes her put it on her self. (That's how it looks to me anyway). This is because Edea is poseessed by Ultimecia at the time, and Ultimecia knows she will eventually posses Rinoa.

I believe that Sorceressess are always Sorceressess, but their powers are dormant up until a point, Ultimecia didn't want Rinoa to find out about her powers untl the right moment. She neeeded to get everyone up to the right point (I am not sure of that yet, but I think it was Adel).

This is just a theory, it needs more research, but feel free to respond, debate as well if you lik, I'll either retort, or add it to my DH list.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm really going to have to disagree as not only does this sorta defeat the purpose of "passing on their powers" but even the information section of the game tells you that anyone can become a sorceress because of this process.

It makes more sense to have Ultimecia transfer Edea's power to Rinoa in order to possess her cause she realizes the power wouldn't attack one of their own.

i just recently played that scene and Rinoa didn't put on the Odine Bangle, though Edea did telekeneticly lift her off the ground by her arm in order to restrain her, then telepathicaly sedated her during the speach, she did not force her to put on any enchanted jewelry...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm really going to have to disagree as not only does this sorta defeat the purpose of "passing on their powers" but even the information section of the game tells you that anyone can become a sorceress because of this process.

It makes more sense to have Ultimecia transfer Edea's power to Rinoa in order to possess her cause she realizes the power wouldn't attack one of their own.
    If that's the case, then I shall add this to my DH list. If it is in the information section, then it is the writers not the characters. Incidently which page is that under? I am genuingly interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    i just recently played that scene and Rinoa didn't put on the Odine Bangle, though Edea did telekeneticly lift her off the ground by her arm in order to restrain her, then telepathicaly sedated her during the speach, she did not force her to put on any enchanted jewelry...
    I may be wrong, but to me it looked like Rinoa (under control) put something on he neck while she was hanging on the celing (just before she fell). Again I could be wrong.

a bangle is a bracelet, not a necklace... so, i don't thaink that was it, Rinoa reaching for her throat could be due to her suddenly not being able to speak, due to Edea's restraining her...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Go to Tutorial and then go down to information and I believe it should be listed under either Sorceress or Sorceress' and their Powers.

GameFAQs: Final Fantasy VIII (PS) Time/Ultimecia Plot FAQ by Sir Bahamut This has the data as well as some of the Ultimania translated in the "additional information" section. Just scroll past the Time theory hoopla and R=U stuff to get canonical info.

Reading it though, it is true that a person has to have a strong potential for magic to be chosen for embodiment but that is the only requirement, its not a hidden power it just needs a host who has the potential to control it which makes pretty good sense, though I feel the actual in-game part is pretty vague about this as well.

a bangle is a bracelet, not a necklace... so, i don't thaink that was it, Rinoa reaching for her throat could be due to her suddenly not being able to speak, due to Edea's restraining her...
    a bangle could be either, and I don't remember if the game specified which one it was in this case =/

nope, bangles are either bracelets or anklets not necklaces... though the ornament that hangs from a necklace is sometimes refered to as a bangle, but i don't think that's the definition being used here, as that is more obscure... besides the item Rinoa is holding in Carroways Mansion is far to small to be a necklace, and looks like a bracelet, the only necklace i've ever seen Rinoa wear is the one she always wears with the ring on it, even during that scene... Bangle Definition | Definition of Bangle at Dictionary.com
    Last edited by Elly; 10-11-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries

I didn't realize that. I had absolutly no idea what a "bangle" was (outside the music industry, of course) so I just assumed that it was for the neck because of how I intepretted the scene. I shall add this to my DH list.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Go to Tutorial and then go down to information and I believe it should be listed under either Sorceress or Sorceress' and their Powers.

GameFAQs: Final Fantasy VIII (PS) Time/Ultimecia Plot FAQ by Sir Bahamut This has the data as well as some of the Ultimania translated in the "additional information" section. Just scroll past the Time theory hoopla and R=U stuff to get canonical info.

Reading it though, it is true that a person has to have a strong potential for magic to be chosen for embodiment but that is the only requirement, its not a hidden power it just needs a host who has the potential to control it which makes pretty good sense, though I feel the actual in-game part is pretty vague about this as well.
    Thanks for the advice, I shall check out those links and that information page when I can.

Rinoa was always destined to become a sorceress after what happened at the beginning (Ultimecia passing her own powers to Matron.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Rinoa was always destined to become a sorceress after what happened at the beginning (Ultimecia passing her own powers to Matron.)

Destiny is the key word in most occurances in FFVIII in my opinion - this is another thing I will write about when I can.

I agree with mjn seifer.
    A TV set is not less a TV set when it is not receiving radio waves than it is otherwise.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Blog Entries

Are you responding to the original post, or my previous post? Thank you for agreeing.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I disagree with Future Esthar like I alway do.

I knew it, you DO hate FF VIII!