Thread: flaming lips!

Default flaming lips!

What do you guys think of the new very very dark album? it is very diffrent from alot of thier other stuff, i didnt like it a whole lot at first thought kinda boring, but it is really growing on me and the i can be a frog song with karen O (where the wild things are soundtrack) i am in love with this trip gone bad of a song.....discuss!
    Last edited by IronOcean; 10-18-2009 at 03:25 AM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

They've certainly thrown everyone for a loop after the last two or three (excellent) records, I'm not sure what to make of the new album yet but I do like how they've taken people by surprise with their sound on it.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Embryonic is trash. It's kind of a tragedy.

Considering how bloody smurfing awful At War with the Mystics was, I haven't ventured into Embryonic. I'm a fan of old-school Lips, so I haven't been too keen on their last three albums to be honest. I'm quite happy with spinning Clouds Taste Metallic for the rest of my days.

well the new one is nothing like anythng they have ever done. its a new sometimes good sometimes odd path. its growing on me.....those damn okies are crazy though :eep:

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
    Considering how bloody smurfing awful At War with the Mystics was, I haven't ventured into Embryonic. I'm a fan of old-school Lips, so I haven't been too keen on their last three albums to be honest. I'm quite happy with spinning Clouds Taste Metallic for the rest of my days.
    It's nothing like Mystics, or indeed anything like their last three albums at all. It sounds like they've been listening to a lot of Can records to be honest.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
    It's nothing like Mystics, or indeed anything like their last three albums at all. It sounds like they've been listening to a lot of Can records to be honest.
    Yeah, I heard people say it has a lot of krautrock elements. I'm a big Can fan, but I'm not sure how well its going to work. I don't know, I don't really have any faith in the Lips these days. ):

It would be a sin to compare this record to the work of Can.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I love Mystics and I'm pretty pleased with this one too. My fiancée is the huge Lips fan and he's been listening to it non-stop; I've yet to take the time to sit down and listen to the entire thing, but I love what I've heard.

I do wish there were some more poppy, sing-along songs with this album, but I like it regardless. Maybe I've done too many mind-altering substances.