Thread: The Final Fantasy XII Defined Character Class List

Default The Final Fantasy XII Defined Character Class List

Hey all. I'm new here, but have spent the last day or two working on a project that I thought I would share with the masses. Although the 'Enforced Class Challenge' has been around for a while, I decided to take a different approach concerning FF XII and the 'job class system', by looking at each character and assigning them a specific defined class (as per the characters from Final Fantasys IV, VI, and IX), and here's what I came up with:
    Vaan
    Based on his storyline and initial equipment, the class that best suits Vaan is the Thief class, which gives him access to the Steal technick, and lets him equip Smallswords, Daggers, all Accessories, and Light and Mystic Armor.

Penelo
    Penelo was actually the hardest character to assign a specific job class to, but I was helped immensely by looking at Revenant Wings, which puts her into the Dancer class. Classifying Penelo as a Dancer gives her access to the Charm technick and level 1 White Magick, and lets her equip Daggers, Staves, Rods, Poles, all Accessories, and Light and Mystic Armor.

Balthier
    Balthier would've been just a simple Gunner if it weren't for the existence of the Sky Pirate class from Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and his appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. The Sky Pirate job class fits Balthier to a T, since that's what he describes himself as, and gives him access to the Steal, Libra, and Poach technicks, and lets him equip Guns, Smallswords, Swords, Daggers, Spears, Crossbows, and Bows, all Accessories, Light and Heavy Armor, and Shields.

Fran
    As with Balthier, I could've chosen to make Fran a simple Archer, but instead decided that, because of her initial equipment, she fit much better into the Hunter job class, which gives her access to more than the Archer class. As a Hunter, Fran has access to the [FONT=Calibri]1000 Needles, Achilles, Addle, Break Magic Def., Break Magic, Charm, First Aid, Gil Toss, Libra, MP-HP, Poach, Random Magick, Revive, Steal, and Traveller technicks and level 1 and 2 White and Time Magick, and allows her to equip Bows, all Accessories, and Light Armor

Basch
    I was initially going to make Basch a simple Knight until I found out that he's a Paladin in Revanent Wings, which I think suits him better and makes him a more all-around character. As a Paladin, Basch has access to the [FONT=Calibri]Achilles, Charge, Souleater, Libra, Numerology, Stamp, First Aid, Infuse, Revive, and Sight Unseeing technicks and all White Magick, and lets him equip Swords, Greatswords, and Heavy and Mystic Armor.

Ashe
    With Ashe, I once again took a cue from Revanent Wings and made her a Time Mage, which also makes her a more versatile character than the class I was originally going to assign her, which was the Fighter class. As a Time Mage, she's got access to the [FONT=Calibri]Charge, Horology, Numerology, Poach, and Stamp technicks and all White, Black, Green, and Time Magicks, and can equip the Bowgun, Swords, Greatswords, and Heavy and Mystic Armor.

What do you guys think? Do these classes fit the characters? Is there anything that a particular character should be able to do/equip that I'm missing or didn't think of?

i vaguely tried doing that when i played through XII, but it got old quick for me. also, the fighting mechanics bored be quite a bit. especially where im at now. i have maybe 4 marks left in hte entire game (with every single game i play, i try to get 100% completion on my first playthrough) i had never ebaten it, so i decided id jsut play teh final boss jsut to see the ending, cause i had yet to see it. when the boss cinematic started going, i decided to make a sandwich, i would prolly be back before the fight started, cause those things are usually long. when i came back, the boss was dead. my party had defeated him without any user input. thats when i said, "i dont like this game anymore"

63% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I went back and looked at the initial licenses available to Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe, and realized that the parameters I'd outlined for their characters didn't account for some of those licenses, so I've altered my character class descriptions for them slightly, in the following ways:
    * In addition to what is outlined above, Balthier can use the First Aid technick

* In addition to what is outlined above, Fran can cast some Black Magic and equip some Heavy Armor and Shields

* In addition to what is outlined above, Basch can equip some Axes and Hammers

* In addition to what is outlined above, Ashe can equip some Shields and Light Armor

Also, just so everything is clear, what I've done is make it so that each character adheres to a specific class throughout the entirety of the game from beginning to end, in contrast to the other games set in Ivalice, where you give your characters a variety of different jobs. My parameters are also much looser than those of the Enforced Class Challenge.

I think the setup looks pretty good, and fits well with the personality of the characters. When I play I generally stick to jobs as well for my characters. I typically do this until I have like 3 or 4 marks left than I work at getting the Rassler figure for the pirates den.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Khimbar2775 View Post
    i vaguely tried doing that when i played through XII, but it got old quick for me. also, the fighting mechanics bored be quite a bit. especially where im at now. i have maybe 4 marks left in hte entire game (with every single game i play, i try to get 100% completion on my first playthrough) i had never ebaten it, so i decided id jsut play teh final boss jsut to see the ending, cause i had yet to see it. when the boss cinematic started going, i decided to make a sandwich, i would prolly be back before the fight started, cause those things are usually long. when i came back, the boss was dead. my party had defeated him without any user input. thats when i said, "i dont like this game anymore"
    You know what, I'll say something that's on topic in a minute but I can't let a statement like this slide. I've seen far too many people say they don't like the game because it can play itself and it is without a doubt the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you don't like the game playing itself then don't let it. It doesn't force you. I gave my characters enough gambits to hopefully keep themselves alive if things started going horribly wrong and I was to pre-occupied with one character to cast a cure spell with another. Beyond being able to keep themselves alive on their own for the most part (and even then they'd get themselves killed against some of the tougher bosses), I did everything else myself. Considering you did all but 4 hunts and with it a probably very overpowered party for the final boss, I have no sympathy for anyone who complains because their party beat the final boss with no input. What the hell did you expect would happen when you set up an over powered party with effective gambits and cut them loose? If you don't like it, then don't use Gambits.

Anyway, rant aside, I did keep my characters largely to specific classes, though I wasn't as specific since I only used three characters. I basically gave Balthier Green and Time Magic, Fran got White and Black Magic, and Vaan got Technicks for the most part. Weapons and armour were mostly in line with what they start out with except for the few occasional I had to cross over to a different type to get the next level of their usual weapons or armour. I think I went mostly with lighter armour and guns and crossbows for Balthier, light/mystic armour and bows for Fran, and light/heavy armour and swords/axes with Vaan.

I like the classes you came up with though. If I were to play through again with all six characters I would probably choose something similar to that.

also why even play the game if you're not gonna watch the cut scenes, i mean what's the point?.. that's not really playing the game now, is it?..

i also try to stick to the characters percieved job classes, i do this even in VII, VIII, & X, but X stears you in that direction from the beginning anyway... i don't play IX, i own it but i don't like it, it's too limiting and the card game cheats with it's constant random battle outcome, and it's strategy guide is a prime example of why digital distribution is a bad idea with half of it being lost in the ether now...

I was doing some thinking, and realized that I probably didn't actually need to use Revenant Wings as the basis for picking classes for Penelo, Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe. Going strictly by FF12 and what their stats and initial eqiupment are, those four characters actually adhere pretty closely to the following classes:
    Penelo: Red Mage or Paladin (depending on personal preference)
    Balthier: Gunner
    Fran: Archer
    Basch: Fighter or Knight (depending on personal preference)
    Ashe: Red Mage or Paladin

I'll be back later with in-depth analyses of Penelo, Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe's usable equipment, magick, and technicks based on those classes as opposed to the classes I gave them earlier.

Edit:

I'm back with in-depth equipment listings for each character. I decided to give Vaan, Penelo, Balthier, Basch, and Ashe a primary class and a secondary class in order to provide people with some added flexibility in terms of developing the characters. Here we go:

Vaan
    Class(es): Thief (Primary); Sky Pirate (Secondary)
    Class-Specific Licenses:
    Thief
    Smallswords
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Mystic Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Steal

Sky Pirate
    Guns 1 through 6
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Spears 1 through 5
    Crossbows 1 through 4
    Bows 1 through 6
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Steal
    First Aid
    Libra
    Poach

Penelo
    Class(es): Red Mage (Primary); Dancer (Secondary)
    Class-specific Licenses:
    Red Mage
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Daggers through 5
    Maces 1 through 5
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Black Magick 1 through 13
    Time Magick 1 through 7
    Arcane Magick 1 through 7

Dancer
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Staves 1 through 4
    Rods 1 through 4
    Poles 1 through 4
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1-20
    White Magick 1
    Charm

Class(es): Gunner (Primary); Sky Pirate (Secondary)
    Class-specific Licenses:
    Gunner
    Guns 1 through 6
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1 through 20
    First Aid

Sky Pirate
    Guns 1 through 6
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Spears 1 through 5
    Crossbows 1 through 4
    Bows 1 through 6
    First Aid
    Steal
    Libra
    Poach

Fran
    Class: Hunter
    Class-specific Licenses:
    Bows 1 through 6
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Heavy Armor 1
    Shields 1
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1
    Black Magick 1
    Time Magick 1 and 2
    1000 Needles
    Achilles
    Addle
    Break Magic Def.
    Break Magic
    Charm
    First Aid
    Gil Toss
    Libra
    MP-HP
    Poach
    Random Magick
    Revive
    Steal (initially available)
    Traveller

Basch
    Class(es): Knight (Primary); Paladin (Secondary)
    Class-specific Licenses:
    Knight
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Axes and Hammers 1
    Light Armor 1
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1
    First Aid
    Infuse
    Libra
    Revive
    Sight Unseeing
    Souleater
    Telekenisis

Paladin
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Light Armor 1
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Mystic Armor 1
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Achilles
    Charge
    First Aid
    Infuse
    Libra
    Numerology
    Revive
    Sight Unseeing
    Souleater
    Stamp
    Telekenisis
    Wither

Class(es): Paladin (Primary); Time Mage (Secondary)
    Class-specific Licenses:
    Paladin
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Light Armor 1
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Mystic Armor 1
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Achilles
    Charge
    First Aid
    Infuse
    Libra
    Numerology
    Revive
    Sight Unseeing
    Souleater
    Stamp
    Telekenisis
    Wither

Time Mage
    Crossbows 1
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Light Armor 1
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Black Magick 1 through 8
    Green Magick 1 through 7
    Time Magick 1 through 7
    Charge
    Horology
    Numerology
    Poach
    Stamp
    Last edited by DigificWriter; 10-21-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Added new information

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Going by some of the stuff that the game book says, I tired to make Vaan a thief, but that got boring and he did lousy damage so I created a warrior out of him and a black mage.

Also going by the game book it says that Fran is a master of all weapons so I really let her use whatever, but on occassion I would give her a specific job like a time mage.

Ashe was my specific White Mage going by previous female leads. On ocassion I would switch her to a paladin though.

Basch was my Dark Knight and Berserker. He did an exceptional job at these.

Balthier was my Green Mage with a gun

Penelo I think I made a monk out of her. Wait, no, wait, yes. I made her both a monk and a red mage. I switched between the two jobs.

I've gone back and heavily revised my original concept(s) for each character's given class, and thought I'd share my new ideas:
    Vaan
    Bio: Living in the Rabanastre slums, Vaan maintains an air of hope even under the oppressive rule of the Empire. But he longs for more: a life without borders or authority. He dreams of becoming a sky pirate, free to go where he will.
    Class: Thief
    Usable Licenses:
    Equipment
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Poles 1 through 4
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Technicks and Magicks
    1000 Needles
    Expose
    First Aid
    Gil Toss
    Horology
    Libra
    Numerology
    Poach
    Steal
    Telekinesis
    Traveler
    Wither
    Augments
    +X HP
    Adrenaline
    Battle Lore
    Focus
    Gambit Slot
    Last Stand
    Phoenix Lore
    Potion Lore 1 through 3
    Remedy Lore 1 through 3
    Spellbound
    Swiftness
    Penelo
    Bio: Like Vaan, Penelo calls Rabanastre's Lowtown home. She watches over Vaan, trying to keep him from getting into too much trouble. Though she lost her family in the war with the Empire, Penelo is ever cheerful, making her way by doing odd jobs in and around the city. Penelo believes that in perseverance, there is hope.
    Class: Red Mage
    Usable Licenses:
    Equipment
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Smallswords
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Katana 1 through 4
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Maces 1 through 5
    Measures 1 through 3
    Staves 1 through 4
    Rods 1 through 4
    Poles 1 through 4
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Shields 1 through 6
    Technicks and Magicks
    1000 Needles
    Addle
    Charge
    Expose
    First Aid
    Gil Toss
    Horology
    Infuse
    Libra
    Numerology
    Poach
    Shades of Black
    Shear
    Telekinesis
    Traveler
    Wither
    Arcane Magick 1 through 7
    Black Magick 1 through 8
    Green Magick 1 through 7
    Time Magick 1 through 7
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Augments
    +X HP
    Adrenaline
    Battle Lore
    Channeling
    Ether Lore 1 through 3
    Gambit Slot
    Headsman
    Inquisitor
    Last Stand
    Magick Lore
    Martyr
    Phoenix Lore
    Serenity
    Spellbound
    Spellbreaker
    Swiftness
    Warmage
    Balthier
    Bio: He would describe himself as a noble thief, stealing only from those who deserve it. He goes where he pleases, swearing fealty to no one. While roaming the skies of Ivalice with Fran, his Viera partner, he still makes time to charm the ladies with his silver tongue and put wrongs to right--grinning all the while.
    Class: Gunner
    Available Licenses:
    Equipment
    Guns 1 through 6
    Hand-Bombs 1 through 3
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Measures 1 through 3
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Technicks and Magick
    1000 Needles
    Expose
    First Aid
    Gil Toss
    Horology
    Libra
    Numerology
    Poach
    Steal
    Telekinesis
    Traveler
    Wither
    Augments
    +X HP
    Adrenaline
    Battle Lore
    Focus
    Gambit Slot
    Last Stand
    Phoenix Lore
    Potion Lore 1 through 3
    Remedy Lore 1 through 3
    Spellbound
    Swiftness
    Fran
    Bio: A Viera warrior, Fran is as much at ease with a sword as she is her bare hands. Her proficiency with a blade is matched only by her skill with a wrench, as she also handles the maintenance of Balthier's airship, the Strahl.
    Class: Archer
    Usable Licenses:
    Equipment
    Bows 1 through 6
    Crossbows 1 through 4
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Technicks and Magick
    1000 Needles
    Expose
    Gil Toss
    Horology
    Libra
    Numerology
    Poach
    Shades of Black
    Shear
    Steal
    Telekinesis
    Traveler
    Wither
    Black Magick 1 through 8
    White Magick 1 through 8
    Augments
    +X HP
    Adrenaline
    Battle Lore
    Ether Lore
    Focus
    Gambit Slot
    Last Stand
    Phoenix Lore
    Potion Lore 1 through 3
    Remedy Lore 1 through 3
    Spellbound
    Swiftness
    Basch
    Bio: A captain in the Order of the Knights of Dalmasca, Basch achieved renown as a gallant and brave hero credited with countless victories on the battlefield. He is a man of justice who cannot abide inequity.
    Class: Knight
    Usable Licenses:
    Equipment
    Smallswords
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Katana 1 through 3
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Axes and Hammers 1 through 5
    Measures 1 through 3
    Poles 1 through 4
    Spears 1 through 5
    Bows 1 through 6
    Crossbows 1 through 4
    Light Armor 1 through 12
    Heavy Armor 1 through 12
    Shields 1 through 6
    Accessories 1 through 20
    Technicks and Magick
    1000 Needles
    Bonecrusher
    Expose
    First Aid
    Gil Toss
    Horology
    Libra
    Numerology
    Poach
    Revive
    Souleater
    Telekinesis
    Traveler
    Wither
    Augments
    +X HP
    Adrenaline
    Battle Lore
    Brawler
    Focus
    Gambit Slot
    Last Stand
    Phoenix Lore
    Potion Lore 1 through 3
    Remedy Lore 1 through 3
    Shield Block
    Spellbound
    Swiftness
    Ashe
    Bio: The only child of King Raminas and sole heir to the Dalmascan throne, Ashe knows all too well she lacks the power to right the wrongs committed against her and her kingdom, but she will not allow herself to admit defeat.
    Class: Paladin
    Usable Licenses:
    Equipment
    Smallswords
    Daggers 1 through 5
    Swords 1 through 7
    Greatswords 1 through 3
    Katana 1 through 3
    Ninja Swords 1 and 2
    Axes and Hammers 1 through 5
    Measures 1 through 3
    Poles 1 through 4