Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes North North? o.o

Moogle What makes North North? o.o

I mean this mainly in reference to maps. Is there some reason that North is always up? As seen from space, there is no relative "up." Maps are nothing more than an earthly view from space. Are they not?

So did someone just decide that North would be up and everyone else fell in line? It seems obvious that cartographers would need some way to keep consistency, but why point North upward?

I was pondering initially that it could have to do with European superiority over map construction, being that European cartographers would very likely draw Europe above Africa. Everywhere else would be placed accordingly. This theory was shot down when I realized that it's unlikely that other nations didn't make maps at the same time as, if not earlier than, Europe. Of course, the same hypothesis could be applied to most other nations. It seems right because richer nations tend to be toward the top of the map, but then most nations are toward the top of the map, so I guess it could be more attributed to that.

Note that I would really like serious answers. The only reason I didn't post it in EoEO is because I didn't quite think it EoEO-worthy. I understand that I'm absolutely asking for it in Gen Chat though.

Also, I'm not debating that North should in fact be pointed in any other direction, but asking why it remains at the top. If you'd like to argue that point though, I won't stop you.

Anyway, answer plz.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

It's all part of the communist agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In physics, all magnets have two poles that are distinguished by the direction of the magnetic flux. In principle these poles could be named in any way; for example, as "+" and "−", or "A" and "B". However, based on the early use of magnets in compasses they were named the "north pole" (or more explicitly "north-seeking pole"), "N", and the "south pole" (or "south-seeking pole"), "S", with the north pole being the pole that pointed north (i.e. the one attracted to the Earth's North Magnetic Pole). Because opposite poles attract, the Earth's North Magnetic Pole is therefore, by this definition, physically a magnetic field south pole. Conversely, the Earth's South Magnetic Pole is physically a magnetic field north pole.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unless you turn your text all around, you have to align your maps one way or another. Probably they weren't standardized until Columbus Webster came about in the 1840s and realized if everyone insisted on drawing maps whichever way, they'd never be able to chart the entire globe thoroughly.

But yes, it's the white man dominating the indigene.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In physics, all magnets have two poles that are distinguished by the direction of the magnetic flux. In principle these poles could be named in any way; for example, as "+" and "−", or "A" and "B". However, based on the early use of magnets in compasses they were named the "north pole" (or more explicitly "north-seeking pole"), "N", and the "south pole" (or "south-seeking pole"), "S", with the north pole being the pole that pointed north (i.e. the one attracted to the Earth's North Magnetic Pole). Because opposite poles attract, the Earth's North Magnetic Pole is therefore, by this definition, physically a magnetic field south pole. Conversely, the Earth's South Magnetic Pole is physically a magnetic field north pole.
    That's not exactly what I meant, though thanks for the input. You learned me. I mean what made man put North at the top of the map? Even relatively speaking, North isn't inherently "up."

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    But yes, it's the white man dominating the indigene.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But there's no law of standardization or whatever? There's no book-written law that says that North goes on the top? It's just common sense of cartographers to fall in line with the majority?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Go to Bizarro world if you don't like it.

Bring a sweater though cause it gets really cold up west.
    derp

Quote Originally Posted by The Space Pope View Post
    Go to Bizarro world if you don't like it.

Bring a sweater though cause it gets really cold up west.
    EXACTLY
    Why isn't West up? Then Europe would be above everything else, of course running with the assumption that the majority of the world was unaware of the Americas' existence.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

You know how the word "bowl" starts to sound really weird if you repeat it over and over again?

Yeah, it's like that.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

oh man that is so profound and philosophical i think you should be like, mayor of bleedlebee or something

God, threads like this piss me the smurf off. Go think of something more important than trying to be intelligent and failing miserably.

Well I think it honestly has something to do with the compass. The magnet gets pulled to the north, and so that's naturally the up direction. It's like, why is 0 minutes on a clock up? For some reason for people, it just makes sense to start UP and work around in a circle. So when your compass points North, that's UP.

Also the world rotates on that axis from North to South pole, so it makes sense for those to be the Up and Down.

If you really want to start asking questions, why was it named North? Why East, west south? What's a word anyways.

Things like this are pointless to question: here's some more info for you:

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so
    families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the
    tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"
    But worse than that were the really poor folk
    who couldn't even afford to buy a pot............they "didn't have a pot to piss
    in" and were the lowest of the low.

Most people got married in June because they
    took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.
    however, since they were starting to smell . .. . brides carried a bouquet of
    flowers to hide the body odour Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when
    getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot
    water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all
    the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the
    babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.
    hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled
    high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so
    all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it
    rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the
    roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling
    into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other
    droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a
    sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came
    into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had
    something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate
    floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh
    (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added
    more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping
    outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen
    with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire
    and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much
    to eat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get
    cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it
    that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas
    porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made
    them feel quite special.. When visitors came over, they would hang up their
    bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the
    bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit
    around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter.
    Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food,
    causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the
    next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers
    got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the
    top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky.
    the combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.
    someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for
    burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the
    family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake
    up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks
    started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and
    could take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these
    coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and
    they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on
    the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground
    and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night
    (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by
    the bell or was considered a dead ringer...
    THE JACKAL
    Last edited by ljkkjlcm9; 10-21-2009 at 04:24 AM.
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

Why do we use any words as signifiers?! Why did we not use "crunchy" instead of "up"!? Why did we not use "norte" while we were at it?!

Hey, let us not use words to intelligibly convey meanings to one another and instead go a idgres poi oyum ut!?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

<a href="http://lh3.ggpht.com/_n9DGA9Surj4/SJJP0-FpVAI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/LWek8Jx7ZtE/Upsidedown+Map+Of+The+World--Optimized.JPG">I guess we had it all wrong in the first place!</a>

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Genius Lynx View Post
    Why do we use any words as signifiers?! Why did we not use "crunchy" instead of "up"!? Why did we not use "norte" while we were at it?!

Hey, let us not use words to intelligibly convey meanings to one another and instead go a idgres poi oyum ut!?
    Lynx has a point here. If you break things down that far, everything is arbitrary. Yeah, "north" is not "up," and when viewed from space Earth could be viewed from a variety of perspectives, but it was arbitrarily unified that way for cartography. If you think that is worth questioning, what about all words, or numbers, or clothing? It's arbitrary. Of course, that fact doesn't make any of those things pointless.

Blog Entries

When you use a compass, it points to the top or bottom of the earth. The only thing that could have changed would be the difference between North and South. This is pretty basic physics.

there was a picture here