Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: How can Kingdom Hearts appeal more to mainstream Disney fans?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's possible that Disney did make such a deal. I find it rather disappointing, though, since it limits a majority of the Disney cast to peripheral roles without any significant impact on the overall plot. The solution may then be to bring in more characters like Donald, Goofy, Mickey, and Pete who have existence in Disney canon outside of single movies.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    It's possible that Disney did make such a deal. I find it rather disappointing, though, since it limits a majority of the Disney cast to peripheral roles without any significant impact on the overall plot. The solution may then be to bring in more characters like Donald, Goofy, Mickey, and Pete who have existence in Disney canon outside of single movies.
    Don't forget the Princesses of Heart...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Don't forget the Princesses of Heart...
    Who have a collective total of how many lines? They're more plot devices than characters.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey now, they get some more promising roles in BBS. At least Aurora, Snow White, and Cinderella...

Personally, I do like the Disney worlds when they play into the theme of the game. I've been replaying Chain of Memories and have been a bit pleased with how the theme of memory actually carries over to each of the Disney worlds.

I do feel they need to do more with the Disney characters to build onto the overall story and that is why I feel they need an adviser from Disney to help the writing staff so they can rest easy and do more with them.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Hey now, they get some more promising roles in BBS. At least Aurora, Snow White, and Cinderella... ;)
    Aye, but I don't see it being any larger of a role than say Jasmine had in KH1. She functioned within her own world, but as soon as she was taken away, she became a plot device.

I do feel they need to do more with the Disney characters to build onto the overall story and that is why I feel they need an adviser from Disney to help the writing staff so they can rest easy and do more with them.
    This seems a reasonable suggestion as long as it's used to expand what you can do with them instead of being further limiting.

Yes, more AMERICAN Disney staff to work with the Japanese staff...
    Is that your final answer?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Now that you bring it up, the logistics of language barriers seems like that would really just make the whole process messier than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Now that you bring it up, the logistics of language barriers seems like that would really just make the whole process messier than it's worth.
    Well, I'm sure they can bring in an English/Japanese translation-interpreter, right? And perhaps some of the staff may also be fluent in English too...

Less convoluted/ contrived storylines. I'd also like a more Western art-style. *shrugs*

I'd really rather they just make their own games and leave Kingdom Hearts to Square Enix.
    No way.

If KH had started and didn't originally have Disney in, I probably would have overlooked it (like I do with most SE projects that arn't FF). I think most of the time the Disney themes fit in very well with the story and it's all handled very well.

If they take out Donald, Goofy, and Mickey as main characters in KH3 and replace them with Riku and Kairi (like them replacing Donald and Goofy as your sidekicks) then I'll be very very annoyed. The Disney Three are excellent characters, probably my favourates.
    I know Malificent was given less of a role in KH2 than 1, but I didn't mind since I thought the Organization XIII were ok. Then again, if they push her (and Pete) back even more in KH3 then I'll be even more annoyed.

I have a feeling these things will happen though, and it'll turn even more in to a SE game than Disney. I'll be sorry to see that, it'll just turn into a typical SE game then. Disney gives it that unique and original edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I'd really rather they just make their own games and leave Kingdom Hearts to Square Enix.
    No way.

If KH had started and didn't originally have Disney in, I probably would have overlooked it (like I do with most SE projects that arn't FF). I think most of the time the Disney themes fit in very well with the story and it's all handled very well.

If they take out Donald, Goofy, and Mickey as main characters in KH3 and replace them with Riku and Kairi (like them replacing Donald and Goofy as your sidekicks) then I'll be very very annoyed. The Disney Three are excellent characters, probably my favourates.
    I know Malificent was given less of a role in KH2 than 1, but I didn't mind since I thought the Organization XIII were ok. Then again, if they push her (and Pete) back even more in KH3 then I'll be even more annoyed.

I have a feeling these things will happen though, and it'll turn even more in to a SE game than Disney. I'll be sorry to see that, it'll just turn into a typical SE game then. Disney gives it that unique and original edge.
    I agree with you completely. To me, it's more SE than Disney, and that needs to change if they want to broaden their fanbase.

I also agree with most of you guys; Square Enix does go hand in hand with Disney very well.

Coming to the actual issue of this thread.. Here in Germany it appears to be the opposite: Square Enix fans dislike the series while morely Disney fans do hype the series. This often leads to discussions which debate statements like "Kingdom Hearts should be having/have had more Disney in it" or "The Disney characters should be getting a more important role".
    I personally do like the series the way they are, the Square Enixish allotment and the Disneyish allotment are well-balanced, the story line also focuses enough Disney characters (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Maleficent and so on).

greeetings

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

No way.

You misinterpreted my statement. I didn't mean that Disney should be absolutely removed from Kingdom Hearts; I simply meant that Disney shouldn't restrict what Square Enix plans to do with the Disney characters too much. As I understand it, the Disney worlds are very separate as a result of Disney insisting that there be no bleed over between the different movies. I think this kind of meddling really limits the extent to which the Disney characters can be effectively utilized.

Ultimately, the main plot of Kingdom Hearts is a Square Enix creation--not a Disney one. I have faith that if Disney loosened their grip and bit and gave SE a little more freedom, they could make Disney a much more integral and effective part of the story. What makes Final Fantasy characters forgivable in Kingdom Hearts is that they have a Kingdom Hearts identity. Donald, Goofy, and Mickey are interesting because they have a role in the KH universe which is distinct from their other roles. The other Disney characters could be strengthened by having a similarly enhanced role.

No way.

You misinterpreted my statement. I didn't mean that Disney should be absolutely removed from Kingdom Hearts; I simply meant that Disney shouldn't restrict what Square Enix plans to do with the Disney characters too much. As I understand it, the Disney worlds are very separate as a result of Disney insisting that there be no bleed over between the different movies. I think this kind of meddling really limits the extent to which the Disney characters can be effectively utilized.

Ultimately, the main plot of Kingdom Hearts is a Square Enix creation--not a Disney one. I have faith that if Disney loosened their grip and bit and gave SE a little more freedom, they could make Disney a much more integral and effective part of the story. What makes Final Fantasy characters forgivable in Kingdom Hearts is that they have a Kingdom Hearts identity. Donald, Goofy, and Mickey are interesting because they have a role in the KH universe which is distinct from their other roles. The other Disney characters could be strengthened by having a similarly enhanced role.

Ah, I see what you mean now in your last post, my mistake.

That IS a good idea, but how far would it go? I mean, it would be great mixing some of the Disney characters with other worlds and moving them into the story, but when you think about all the worlds there are would it not just risk going OTT and confusing - since it would be mixed in with the other non Disney characters in the story?
    Another thing (if they did decide to cross over Disney worlds) is with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy being in the main story it makes sence (they are the "symbols" of Disney) but how would they choose which other Disney characters would be more involved in the story and get more development?

FYI, these are genuine questions. I'm curious to know how you think it would be done best.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

The problem with the current model is that sooner or later (likely sooner), we're going to be running out of Disney movies to draw from. Kingdom Hearts 2 already had a lot of the crappy sequel stuff going on, and I'd really rather not continue to see it move in that direction.

Obviously there's still some movies to draw from that could be interesting, but on the whole, I'd like to see more integration of Disney and Square Enix. There are plenty of other characters besides the other ones we've already met in the series. There's also a lot of TV shows to draw from (Darkwing Duck would be epic win, among others).

If they want to keep recycling existing worlds, I think it would be time to start exploring original story lines for the worlds. This would allow for the use of Disney favorites while remaining contained to their own worlds. Most importantly, it would also allow the Disney worlds to feel less disjointed from the main narrative as it would allow the worlds' plots to be relevant to what's going on in the overarching plot.