Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: How can Kingdom Hearts appeal more to mainstream Disney fans?

There's a general question I have, since Disney has bought up Pixar and Marvel, is it possible we are going to meet some of these characters in the upcoming games? (After Birth by Sleep, if at all)

It's not that I wanted it or that I didn't, I'd only like to know!

I think the game should also be partially developed here in the United States, instead of fully in Japan.
    Is that your final answer?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by P4ine View Post
    There's a general question I have, since Disney has bought up Pixar and Marvel, is it possible we are going to meet some of these characters in the upcoming games? (After Birth by Sleep, if at all)

It's not that I wanted it or that I didn't, I'd only like to know!
    I'd say it might make Disney rescind its declaration that we'll never see Pixar, but I wouldn't be betting on Marvel any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire
    I think the game should also be partially developed here in the United States, instead of fully in Japan.
    Having two separate development teams working on the same game from two different countries seems like an absolute nightmare to me, to be completely honest.

Do you know how insanely awesome it would be if Deadpool were to show up in Kingdom hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Having two separate development teams working on the same game from two different countries seems like an absolute nightmare to me, to be completely honest.
    What would make you say that? We are trying to appeal to mainstream Disney fans, and I mean AMERICAN Disney fans, right? Perhaps the SE American subsidiary, Square Enix, Inc. , should develop the game with American Disney staff...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    What would make you say that? We are trying to appeal to mainstream Disney fans, and I mean AMERICAN Disney fans, right? Perhaps the SE American subsidiary, Square Enix, Inc. , should develop the game with American Disney staff...
    The Japanese are interested in Japanese fans, and Americans are just an added bonus. Seriously, the first thing they consider is their own country, which is not so hard to imagine. Don't forget that there are a lot of Disney fans in Japan as well (which is one of the main reasons KH even exists).

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    The Japanese are interested in Japanese fans, and Americans are just an added bonus. Seriously, the first thing they consider is their own country, which is not so hard to imagine. Don't forget that there are a lot of Disney fans in Japan as well (which is one of the main reasons KH even exists).
    Japanese anime and video games are largely underground in America. Why is it that American entertainment is very popular in Japan but not the other way around as well?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Japanese anime and video games are largely underground in America. Why is it that American entertainment is very popular in Japan but not the other way around as well?
    What bizarro world are you living in? Japanese video games and anime are hardly underground by any standard. Try and find someone under the age of 30 unfamiliar with anime. Hell, almost everyone I know grew up watching Dragon Ball Z, and a great many of them have gone on to watch at least a few other shows. You must be taking crazy pills.

Also, if you want to completely screw up Kingdom Hearts, go ahead and tear it away for Nomura and give it to a completely new development team in America. I mean, I don't have a lot of faith in the guy to make complete sense, but I have even less faith in giving the project to someone else to try and figure out what the hell was going on in his head.

It's great to have all these solutions, but they're useless conjecture unless they're at least based in some form of reality.

Really let's not touch the whole American/Japanese thing. You should have learned a long time ago from your surnames thread that such is an argument that's not going to be productive. Square Enix is a Japanese video game company. The game is a creation of the mind of a Japanese man. It is designed and programmed by a team of Japanese individuals. Trying to Americanize it in the seventh installment in the series is just silly.

What bizarro world are you living in? Japanese video games and anime are hardly underground by any standard. Try and find someone under the age of 30 unfamiliar with anime. Hell, almost everyone I know grew up watching Dragon Ball Z, and a great many of them have gone on to watch at least a few other shows. You must be taking crazy pills.

Also, if you want to completely screw up Kingdom Hearts, go ahead and tear it away for Nomura and give it to a completely new development team in America. I mean, I don't have a lot of faith in the guy to make complete sense, but I have even less faith in giving the project to someone else to try and figure out what the hell was going on in his head.

It's great to have all these solutions, but they're useless conjecture unless they're at least based in some form of reality.

Really let's not touch the whole American/Japanese thing. You should have learned a long time ago from your surnames thread that such is an argument that's not going to be productive. Square Enix is a Japanese video game company. The game is a creation of the mind of a Japanese man. It is designed and programmed by a team of Japanese individuals. Trying to Americanize it in the seventh installment in the series is just silly.
    When I said underground, I meant "not popular in mainstream American pop culture." You don't see much talk about video games and animes in entertainment guides alongside American or British-made movies, music, TV shows, etc. If you read Entertainment Magazine orr watch any entertainment showcase shows such as TV Guide, Access Hollywood, Extra, Showbiz Tonight, etc, you won't see ANYTHING related to video games. For some strange reason, video games and not frequently mentioned in Hollywood here in the United States, while all the Hollywood stuff we make here is frequently mentioned in Japan; the entertainment popularity exchange ratio is not equal! If everything we have here is wildly popular in Japanese pop culture, why not the other way around as well?!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

When I said underground, I meant "not popular in mainstream American pop culture." You don't see much talk about video games and animes in entertainment guides alongside American or British-made movies, music, TV shows, etc. If you read Entertainment Magazine orr watch any entertainment showcase shows such as TV Guide, Access Hollywood, Extra, Showbiz Tonight, etc, you won't see ANYTHING related to video games. For some strange reason, video games and not frequently mentioned in Hollywood here in the United States, while all the Hollywood stuff we make here is frequently mentioned in Japan; the entertainment popularity exchange ratio is not equal! If everything we have here is wildly popular in Japanese pop culture, why not the other way around as well?!
    You're either still living in that crazy bizarro world or you're just ignorant to everything going on around you. Hollywood doesn't talk about anime or video games? Have you completely missed the growing trend of adapting anime and video games into Blockbuster movies? What about Dragon Ball: Evolution? How about Astroboy? Video game adaptations have been going on even longer: Resident Evil? Tomb Raider? Hell, go back to Super Mario in the early 90s.

Anime isn't underground anymore, and it hasn't been since the mid-90s. On top of that, video games are about as close to the new shared culture that our generation is ever going to get. Video game movies, even ty ones, and anime movies (especially ty ones) make huge blockbuster hits. If that's not indicative of their popularity, I don't know what is.

Also, of course the popularity exchange isn't equal. America arguably exerts a greater pop culture influence over any other country in the world. I don't know why you would ever expect it to be absolutely equal, but it's not quite as dismal as you seem to think. That said, Japanese media hasn't become mainstream in other nations until maybe two decades ago if you want to be generous. Disney has been exerting an effect world wide for much, much longer. It's an issue of catch-up, and Japan, as far as I can tell, has done a very good job of pushing it's culture worldwide in the past two decades.

I think your problem is that you're actually using things like Entertainment Magazine, Access Hollywood, etc. as indicative of what's currently "in" in American pop culture. They don't have a freaking clue what's going on.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 11-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.

You're either still living in that crazy bizarro world or you're just ignorant to everything going on around you. Hollywood doesn't talk about anime or video games? Have you completely missed the growing trend of adapting anime and video games into Blockbuster movies? What about Dragon Ball: Evolution? How about Astroboy? Video game adaptations have been going on even longer: Resident Evil? Tomb Raider? Hell, go back to Super Mario in the early 90s.

Anime isn't underground anymore, and it hasn't been since the mid-90s. On top of that, video games are about as close to the new shared culture that our generation is ever going to get. Video game movies, even ty ones, and anime movies (especially ty ones) make huge blockbuster hits. If that's not indicative of their popularity, I don't know what is.

Also, of course the popularity exchange isn't equal. America arguably exerts a greater pop culture influence over any other country in the world. I don't know why you would ever expect it to be absolutely equal, but it's not quite as dismal as you seem to think. That said, Japanese media hasn't become mainstream in other nations until maybe two decades ago if you want to be generous. Disney has been exerting an effect world wide for much, much longer. It's an issue of catch-up, and Japan, as far as I can tell, has done a very good job of pushing it's culture worldwide in the past two decades.

I think your problem is that you're actually using things like Entertainment Magazine, Access Hollywood, etc. as indicative of what's currently "in" in American pop culture. They don't have a freaking clue what's going on.
    True, but it's still not enough to be mentioned on entertainment guide shows... Perhaps they should make a video game segment for wider promotion, so that video games can expand their fanbases... If SE and other Japanese video game companies want to expand their fanbases, they need to target the mainstream crowd and promote their entertainment more aggressively, like American-made movies, tv shows, and music are.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 11-13-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Given that almost everyone under the age of 25 plays video games, I really think you're overestimating how significantly they need to expand their market. Video games are about as mainstream as they're going to get, especially since the release of the Nintendo Wii. You're looking to television shows dedicated to movies as indicative of the success of video games. Frankly, that's just dumb. Want to see news on games? Watch G4. Want to read about video games? Don't go to Entertainment Weekly, go pick up EGM, Game Informer, Xbox Magazine, PlayStation Magazine, etc. Want reviews? Go to any of the numerous YouTube channels devoted to it or any of the numerous websites dedicated to video game news. Oh hell, just go online. Video games are all over the internet. You're just looking in the wrong places, chief.

Okay... but still, 9/10 American and Western Disney fans don't know that Kingdom Hearts even exists!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Disney fans are a secondary demographic. The primary demographic is gamers. I don't know about you, but when I think the typical Disney fan, my mind is going to the age group of maybe 2-10. Beyond that point, I remember it becoming in vogue to dislike Disney for being childish until your peers get over that kind of adolescent crap. I don't know about you, but I don't know many kids in that age range who were capable of getting very far in the first game. It's not exactly a kid-friendly title. The second one was a lot easier (a lot easier), but the platforming elements and a lot of the bosses through the latter half of the original game would make it a nightmare to a lot of people.

As far as I can tell, Kingdom Hearts is a "Oh hey, it's got Disney, that's cool!" kind of thing, but I don't think the intention was ever to market a game to Disney fans. It's marketing a game to gamers who are also Disney fans.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I don't know about you, but when I think the typical Disney fan, my mind is going to the age group of maybe 2-10. Beyond that point, I remember it becoming in vogue to dislike Disney for being childish until your peers get over that kind of adolescent crap..
    I think you're thinking about the Disney Princess franchise.