Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: How can Kingdom Hearts appeal more to mainstream Disney fans?

Ok, I'll just be blunt about it.

Square-Enix's marketing knowledge > Your marketing knowledge.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    It's not like that in Japan; it's all the buzz over there among Japanese Disney fans, but why not the same for AMERICAN Disney fans? American Square Enix fans are largely secular, and not in the mainstream.
    I'm not sure secular is the word you're looking for there, chief. Religion has nothing to do with the question at hand.

At any rate, you're dodging the question at this point. Why is any of this an issue? You're not addressing any of the points we've made against your argument, but rather been bludgeoning ahead unconcerned with making any sort of actual argument.

Let me help you out here. I've established my position that Kingdom Hearts is very well known by its target demographics. Your next step towards intelligent discussion would be to explain why you think it's important that Kingdom Hearts receives more acknowledgment from a wider demographic encompassing a majority of Disney fans. I'm seriously curious as to why you think this is such a concern in the first place.

Also, Square Enix is about as mainstream as it gets freaking worldwide, chief. They're one of the biggest developers in the industry on both sides of the globe. I don't know who you're talking to that makes you think Square Enix isn't mainstream in the United States. It's huge everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    It's not like that in Japan; it's all the buzz over there among Japanese Disney fans, but why not the same for AMERICAN Disney fans? American Square Enix fans are largely secular, and not in the mainstream.
    I'm not sure secular is the word you're looking for there, chief. Religion has nothing to do with the question at hand.

At any rate, you're dodging the question at this point. Why is any of this an issue? You're not addressing any of the points we've made against your argument, but rather been bludgeoning ahead unconcerned with making any sort of actual argument.

Let me help you out here. I've established my position that Kingdom Hearts is very well known by its target demographics. Your next step towards intelligent discussion would be to explain why you think it's important that Kingdom Hearts receives more acknowledgment from a wider demographic encompassing a majority of Disney fans. I'm seriously curious as to why you think this is such a concern in the first place.

Also, Square Enix is about as mainstream as it gets freaking worldwide, chief. They're one of the biggest developers in the industry on both sides of the globe. I don't know who you're talking to that makes you think Square Enix isn't mainstream in the United States. It's huge everywhere.
    By "secular" I meant more hidden, not up front and in the spotlight. It's a hidden phenomenon, and hasn't been in the spotlight yet.
    Is that your final answer?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

That's fine, but secular refers to a lack of religious belief or (using the scientific definition) something occurring over long periods of time.

That aside, you're still neglecting to address the actual point. You still insist that Square Enix isn't in the spotlight. I just think you're looking at the wrong spotlight. SE is recognized as one of the gaming giants. Every Final Fantasy release is a huge deal in the gaming world. Your problem is that you're looking for acknowledgment in the wrong market (specifically the motion pictures and television markets). That's about as ridiculous as worrying about if Inside Hollywood is buzzing about the newest fantasy novel.

Video games are not a niche market anymore. It's an enormous market, and Square Enix is one of the biggest players in that market. They're not underground, and I've really no idea why you think they are.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 11-17-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Well, to be fair, Square Enix is the biggest player when it comes to RPG's.

Their sales on their releases don't compete with games like Madden, CoD, or even Halo.

That asside, your points stand.

And to answer the question 'How can Kingdom hearts appeal more to mainstream Disney fans?' it can't. Just like The Real World will never appeal to me, Kingdom hearts will never appeal to the squirming little child who thinks Miley Cirus is 'teh sexeh mama'.

That's fine, but secular refers to a lack of religious belief or (using the scientific definition) something occurring over long periods of time.

That aside, you're still neglecting to address the actual point. You still insist that Square Enix isn't in the spotlight. I just think you're looking at the wrong spotlight. SE is recognized as one of the gaming giants. Every Final Fantasy release is a huge deal in the gaming world. Your problem is that you're looking for acknowledgment in the wrong market (specifically the motion pictures and television markets). That's about as ridiculous as worrying about if Inside Hollywood is buzzing about the newest fantasy novel.

Video games are not a niche market anymore. It's an enormous market, and Square Enix is one of the biggest players in that market. They're not underground, and I've really no idea why you think they are.
    I guess you're right, but still, shouldn't the video game market interact with the American movies/music/TV markets? I know that the movies/music/TV markets interact, so why not the video games market interact with them too? They should cross-over every now and then, right? Besides, I've seen segments on entertainment shows and magazines showcasing fantasy novels (of which, by the way, tons of them have been turned into movies), so...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know this is a bit blunt, but I believe most of the people here will agree with me: please start making sense!
    I mean, why would they want to do that? They already have gazillions of money so what is the point?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

As I've already mentioned, the media do bleed over quite a bit. Video game movies have been coming out with increasing frequency since the early 90s, and they've become increasingly successful (although the movies aren't, as a whole, increasing in quality). I think this disparity you've created is in large part an illusion. Video games are even starting to cross over with the music industry to an extent. Take a look at Grand Theft Auto, which has been using popular music on the radio stations for a while now. Hell, look at Final Fantasy XIII featuring Leona Lewis for the theme song. As for television? There's an entire channel devoted to the video game demographic. What more do you want?

As I've already mentioned, the media do bleed over quite a bit. Video game movies have been coming out with increasing frequency since the early 90s, and they've become increasingly successful (although the movies aren't, as a whole, increasing in quality). I think this disparity you've created is in large part an illusion. Video games are even starting to cross over with the music industry to an extent. Take a look at Grand Theft Auto, which has been using popular music on the radio stations for a while now. Hell, look at Final Fantasy XIII featuring Leona Lewis for the theme song. As for television? There's an entire channel devoted to the video game demographic. What more do you want?
    WHAT?!?! Leona Lewis sings the theme song for Final Fantasy XIII?! Is that really true?!

Blog Entries

In the english version yes, but some people find it blasphemous that its a different song rather than a dub of the original song.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Oh my! Wow, I dreamed, but never thought such a popular western artist could do a theme song for such a game! I hope they start doing this more often!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Oh my! Wow, I dreamed, but never thought such a popular western artist could do a theme song for such a game! I hope they start doing this more often!
    Most people seem to disagree with you there. I don't mind a western recording artist doing the song, but I do wish they hadn't just picked it off her album and had actually worked with her to write a song specifically for the game. I'd have less of an issue with it then.

At any rate, we'll see how it goes out. "Kiss Me Goodbye" was only at the end of FFXII. I imagine this will be relatively similar.

Blog Entries

Video game music should be made for video games, previously existing music with video games should be kept to youtube amv's
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Video game music should be made for video games, previously existing music with video games should be kept to youtube amv's
    I think SE needs to get more popular western artists to do ending songs.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I think SE needs to get more popular western artists to do ending songs.
    That's fine, but it doesn't address the assertion both nuke and I share. I don't really care who sings the theme song. The music should be made for the game. That's not to say its impossible to make a soundtrack from existing songs (it certainly works for many movies), but when a game like Final Fantasy XIII which presents a whole conceptualized world accompanied by an otherwise completely original soundtrack, it's a bit odd to just pick a song which was written without that world and atmosphere in mind. Certainly, the two may match well enough, but I hold that a cooperative effort to create an original piece would be more effective.