Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern Warfare 2 + Spoilers

For £26 I can't really say no. Although it seems like I'm not the only one who saw the advert. Ill be surprised if Sainsburys have any copies left.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

lol, my boyfriend's trying to play it on his ps3 but there seems to be a big server crash or something going on. I have to giggle at his misfortune

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Yeah, the patch that was supposed to come in for trophies actually screwed up the online multiplayer. It's back friday, so I'll be twiddling my thumbs until then.

And yeah, for 26 quid its a bargain. Even give the multiplayer a try, I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't find it addictive.

Str8 Pimpin'

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Yeah, the patch that was supposed to come in for trophies actually screwed up the online multiplayer. It's back friday, so I'll be twiddling my thumbs until then.

And yeah, for 26 quid its a bargain. Even give the multiplayer a try, I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't find it addictive.
    He's quite saddened by this news as well. Ah well, he'll just play campaign in the meantime, or WoW.

how often do we watch people get mindlessly killed in movies? How often do minor characters get gunned down next to the main character and we think nothing of it? How often does the main character of a movie kill people because it was "necessary" and how often do they do it just to do it?

Really, the only reason it's even an issue, is because it's a game. If this were a movie, and we saw the main character struggle with doing this to keep his cover safe, we'd have no problem with it. But the fact that a person is playing the game and doing it themselves? Well that's horrible!

I mean, in Infamous, to become evil, you essentially beat up and kill civilians left and right. The game is rated by the ESRB: M, meaning people under 18 or whatever aren't suppose to be playing this game. If by the age of 18 you can't differentiate between fiction and reality, then you have more problems then this game.

I have way too many other games right now to actually buy this, especially considering I will play very little online. But after awhile when it drops in price or something, I may get it. Or maybe I'll ask for it for christmas.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Hey guys

final fantasy tactics glamorizes war

it's tasteless
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to say PSN matchmaking servers are gradually coming up, some weird thing where 20k additional people can connect at a time. I just kept hit circle and x on play online and got in.

Was hoping we could get some EoFF private games going but not so many people here have it yet on PS3, but I guess we could each get people on our friends list to have a decent game. let me know my psn is rmx687.

Articles

FFXIV Character

^ Very much so. If we have enough people for a private game that would be great fun.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but I just had to revive this thread from obscurity since we all pretty much said "Wait until you play the game!!!" (including me) and now that the game's out we really should be talking about this.

Yes, this scene is completely out of place in the game and has no value to any kind of plot or message outside of you killing civilians. There is only one mission in the entire game where you actually square off against Makarov's people and he completely evaporates as a villain for pretty much the entirety of the game. The conflict with Makarov never gets resolved; I have to say this is easily one of the least cohesive stories I've ever seen in a video game.

Infinity Ward themselves explained in a recent Bonus Round episode on GameTrailers.com that they create the missions and then move them around to accomodate the story. This scene makes absolutely no sense in a game which is built around its missions. Essentially, they want to create action-packed, emotional missions, and that's what you get most out of the game. Considering this, and taking into account Modern Warfare 2 as a game, this scene has absolutely no importance outside of its shock value.

That being said I've already beaten the campaign twice (Normal and Hardened) and its absolutely a campaign I'll see myself playing time and time again for years to come. It's incredibly well done and easily holds up against the best games of this year. But finally getting to see the context of this scene and judging it along the entire game has pretty much confirmed my preconcieved notions of this scene:

It's tasteless.

Yes, it's far less disturbing when you actually play it. Seeing it for myself in my living room made it almost analogous to the Grand Theft Auto black comedy I alluded to previously in this thread. I just can't see any significance to this being in the game other than its immediate shock value.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I disagree Bolivar, I completed the game too and we can both agree that the ending leaves it very open to a 3rd modern warfare game. Especially since 2 of the characters make it thanks to Nikolai and they even say "you know this isn't over, they'll be looking for us" the only way to interpret this is that the game isn't over, clearly the surviving members of the games story are going to go after Makarov in MW3 when that comes out or in DLC expansion if MW3 isn't an option. The level explained why Russia and America end up at war which is something that Makarov wanted, he wanted Russia and America at war with each other after the events of the previous MW game. With that level you directly see the events what caused it to finally boil over in to war. Without that the declaration of war against america would not have been as well explained the other thing to note is that the game wanted to show the legnths Shepherd was willing to go to and that also set up further understanding for his actions later on in the game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

I played through that controversial level and this is my opinion on it. The level is completely unnecessary. It's just a good old means to build hype around the game through some controversy. Don't even compare this to GTA because there is no comparison. It's the crowds AI that makes it hit home. You see guys bleeding to death while another is trying to help them off the floor, and both in turn get shot at. The sound effects are very real also, and if I was compare that to GTA you would get someone running after you screaming "oh it's on now!". There are other things too, like that it's a group doing this and not you alone, but I'll leave it there for now. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was disturbed or anything (although I assume some people were), but It wasn't in the least bit fun to play. I didn't like it at all. Please don't counter this paragraph by saying "well there's an option not to play the level you know", well of course, but who on earth will actually not go ahead with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    how often do we watch people get mindlessly killed in movies?
    Really, the only reason it's even an issue, is because it's a game.
    There is a difference between a movie and a game. In a movie, you watch. In a game, your the one who carries out whatever needs to be done. But this isn't a stab at MW2 either. I haven't played Infamous but that's unnecessary also.

Str8 Pimpin'

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I think you guys might have missed the point. Remember you're not a committed terrorist, you're a CIA operative who is trying to infiltrate Makarov's group and get a huge amount of intel. The point is that it doesn't work. Makarov has you figured out and he uses you to spark a freaking war between Russia and the US. Combined with the other stuff that goes on in the game, the message is pretty clear: He who would fight monsters might become one himself. And in war, he will.

MW2 was an intense, exhilarating experience, but it wasn't often 'fun' in the same way that shooting Covies is. The level in question didn't offend me, but it was very shocking. And it was supposed to be. If the game made you feel conflicted in your objective vs. "oh god what am I doing" then good.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Yeah I think you guys might have missed the point. Remember you're not a committed terrorist, you're a CIA operative who is trying to infiltrate Makarov's group and get a huge amount of intel. The point is that it doesn't work. Makarov has you figured out and he uses you to spark a freaking war between Russia and the US. Combined with the other stuff that goes on in the game, the message is pretty clear: He who would fight monsters might become one himself. And in war, he will.
    Exactly the point of the level, the other things to note as I said is that experiencing what caused the war rather than just hearing about it helps make the war more real and more futile. In one of the missions / briefings I heard the game state that the Russians are intent on killing 1000 Americans for every Russian casualty in the terrorist incident at the airport the entire war started due to the idea of revenge and then after taking back Washington the American troops are wondering when they will be going to Russia and the only thing they seem to care about is that when they get there they're going to burn it down in revenge for the burning of their own capitol.

On a side note, I couldn't help but notice in the Washington missions, there were trenches and such in what could only be described as The Mall, they seemed to fit kinda with the Trenches found in The Mall in Fallout 3, coincidence or maybe a knowing nod to the Fallout 3 team?

Allen's death shocked me more than the killing (although i was reluctant to pull the trigger) because the start of the game builds him up to be one of your main characters, then he goes through all that innocent murder, just to be killed himself so it was all for nothing. When he was shot i thought he would survive, then K.I.A pops up and i was like "whhhattt"

The scene did have a big impact. It horrified people and disgusted them. A lot of them. Not really successfull glamorization I think... You felt something bad seeing/doing it. You felt something bad will doing/seeing something bad. Last I cheched that was how it was supposed to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The thing is though, even if the majority who see it can't internalize it and see the purpose behind it as we can, will still feel the purpose behind it on a sub-conscious level when they realize how horrible it is. They may quit there and say that it's a terrible game and never should have included that, but it still did it's job of getting some part of them thinking. If you ask me, that's a mark of a great work of art, and there have been plenty of great works of art that weren't recognized for what they were until well after release."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Very well put. Too many posts here for me to rember names, but some one was talking about how this wasn't a good way to get the message across? How simple cut scenes and text was better(something like that; MGS style they said)? Well to that person, I ask you: How long exactly did you think about the acts and what was going on after it was presented to you that way? How long do you ever stop and think about simular things when you hear them on the news? How much time of your day do you spend on it; spend debating it like this? It may have been tastless (I don't really think so..) and a flat out bad choice. It may not have been done in a way you'd prefer, either.

But you are thinking about it now aren't you.

Thanks to eternal essence for the great sig!