Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I saw this when I went to see Ninja Assassin and it looks great. my Game design teacher asked us if we wanted to schedule a class gathering to go see this in replacement for an assignment and everybody agreed. The thing is though that the movie comes out one day after our semester ends. I wonder if he realized that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    YouTube - James Cameron's Avatar -Thanator Chase

I advise all the people doubting this movie to watch the clip above. Not only does it remind us that James Cameron is one badass filmaker but it also does the CGI some justice that the trailers simply couldn't. Its hard to think that those water effects at the end are all CGI. This movie will be a game changer, trust me.
    Hmm, that was a painfully cliched scene, not to mention the cgi is even worse on that monster thing. I actually don't want to watch it now that I've seen that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    Hmm, that was a painfully cliched scene, not to mention the cgi is even worse on that monster thing. I actually don't want to watch it now that I've seen that! :(
    LIES! Ok in all seriousness whats not to like? It was intense enough watching it on Youtube, imagine what it'll be like in Imax 3D. I like how the action was displayed so smoothly instead of this shaky cam crap which has plagued almost every action movie since the Bourne Identity.

Although I hate James Cameron with a passion and have never enjoyed a single movie that he has had a hand in, this movie looks pretty decent. Though looks and are are two completely different things and I expect the storyline and characters to be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    Hmm, that was a painfully cliched scene, not to mention the cgi is even worse on that monster thing. I actually don't want to watch it now that I've seen that!
    LIES! Ok in all seriousness whats not to like? It was intense enough watching it on Youtube, imagine what it'll be like in Imax 3D. I like how the action was displayed so smoothly instead of this shaky cam crap which has plagued almost every action movie since the Bourne Identity.
    The design of the blue cat people is horrendous. The CGI looked awful in the clip but I'm assuming it'll be amazing in the cinema. But what's really worrying is the plot. It's smurfing (pun intended) Dances With Wolves in space. Hell, it's The Last Samurai in space *yawn*
    I will never be a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by sephireland View Post
    The CGI looked awful in the clip
    I'm assuming you didn't watch the entire clip then. The water effects at the end of the clip are the pinnacle of CGI as far as I'm concerned. You must be blind to think otherwise. I also like the classy music used as well. Kind of a mix between Predator and Aliens.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

When's this getting released in cinemas? I know the premiere was on last night. Ideally this weekend because my girlfriend and I will be going to the cinema tomorrow night and we would see this for sure.

Str8 Pimpin'

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It looks decent and I might end up going to see it in theaters (which I don't do often any more). But I don't have very high expectations and I can also see it ending up being very lame and cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    When's this getting released in cinemas? I know the premiere was on last night. Ideally this weekend because my girlfriend and I will be going to the cinema tomorrow night and we would see this for sure.
    Its released next Thursday in the UK and worldwide the day after. No idea why the UK release is a day early but I'm not complaining. There hasn't been any proper reviews yet but word on the street is that the critics all loved it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Punk kids born in the 1990s do not get to complain about 'bad' CGI. Especially not when they're of the standard this film's offering.

Anyway, the film looks like it could well be a case of "simple story told well". I've seen journalists echoing Dreddz's sentiment about the lack of a pre-existing story or book behind this film, and its potential effects; the film's all the more ambitious for it.

Regardless of whether the work is 'cliched', it's got potential as long as the context is original. And original world, culture and environment. While the little we've seen of the colonial army is hardly original, the Pandora planet and its environs are definitely looking like a very well-realised fantasy setting.
    Last edited by Big D; 12-14-2009 at 03:02 AM.

I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen so far. Of course, I'm biased, as I've yet to be disappointed by anything Cameron has done as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm going to see it on release night in IMAX.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Punks born in the 1990s do not get to complain about 'bad' special effects. Especially not when they're of the standard this film's offering.
    Want any help in chasing the kids off of your lawn?

Early reviews are in. Seems very positive so far, and all the critics are praising the special effects. Most are agreeing that they are indeed revolutionary. I don't want to tell everyone I told them so but........yeah.

James Cameron truly is the man.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The trouble is that there's too many people everywhere insisting it will be either:
    1. a film that will shake cinema to its very foundations and be the greatest thing ever
    2. a load of old rubbish with no redeeming features at all.

And I don't see it being either of those two things.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"