Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I just hope its worth my 8.50e next Friday night.

Str8 Pimpin'

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Early reviews are in. Seems very positive so far, and all the critics are praising the special effects. Most are agreeing that they are indeed revolutionary. I don't want to tell everyone I told them so but........yeah.

James Cameron truly is the man.
    Reviews have been good and my tickets are booked for thursday night. I'll be happy to be proved wrong. Go JC!!!!!!!!!!
    I will never be a memory.

Me and my friends have got tickets to go see it at 3.00am this Friday at Imax. The plan is to get as pissed/stoned as possible beforehand and then turn up to the movie. Can't friggin wait!

Maybe I'll go see this tomorrow.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Random news: Avatar has just been nominated for Best Picture (Drama) and Best Director at the Golden Globes.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I watched this movie in 3D one minute past midnight today and it was

smurfing awesome.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Posted this in the last movie you watched section but I'm posting it here too. Might help people reel in their expectations: Avatar 3D. I should state that I am a geek and in geek world James Cameron is a GOD! I was smurfing drooling over this movie and though the clips were worrying the fanboy in me just kept on believing.

Maybe I'm getting old and I just don't get it anymore but I was shocked at how ordinary Avatar was.

The good: Special fx were mind blowing! Holy !!!!!!!! Never seen a movie look this good.

The bad: No tension at all. Characters I didn't care a jot about. Blatant Dances With Wolves rip off (though nowhere near as well executed as that slightly above average flick) and a serious lack of humour led to a dull experience overall.

I suppose the best way to sum it up is to say this: All I could think of while watching was how good Jurassic Park, Aliens, Starship Troopers etc would look with this technology. 4/10. watch District 9 instead.
    I will never be a memory.

Saw Avatar last night. Dunno if it was such a good idea to watch the film at 3.00am after 5 pints. When it got to 5.00am or so I was so knackered I could barely sit up in my seat. Plus the intensity of some of the 3D, especially during the action scenes almost make me puke at some points. Fortunately I made it through the entire film without passing out although I was extremely disorientated after the film.

As for the film itself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely not a perfect film but still very entertaining. While I may be jumping the gun, I'm gonna say now that this is the future of film-making. Seeing something of this calibar in Imax 3D puts every other epic to shame. The 3D isn't used as a gimmick and genuinely immerses you into the film. Plus the glasses were a lot more effective in terms of displaying colour and making everything less blurry compared to other 3D films. That was my biggest concern going into the film and fortunately it didn't seem to be a problem at all.

I guess my only problem with the film is how predictable and kind of cheesy it turned out in parts. The dialogue is very iffy and I can't help but feel that if they made the film more mature and not lump it with a 12A certificate that it may have turned out better. Saying that though, the action in this film was friggin awesome. The films climax, to put it short, blew my mind. The audience was loving it too. Almost every 20 seconds you could hear the entire audience gasp. It was great.

Bottom line, go see it. Its James Cameron for christs sake.

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

Haha my uber awesome mate is obsessing over it and making me wanna go watch it. Thought I'd share my mum's thoughts:

Mum: Another film that scares me is that new one with the green men..
    Me: Avatar, with the blue men?
    Mum: Yes
    Me: O_o..

So thankfully she won't be there when I watch it, which better be soon =/ It's good they're finally getting out some films that are looking good - last film I watched that was good [since New Moon doesn't come under that category] was probably back in the summer, and I can't even name it. This film better not let me down is all I can say

I am not a man

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Damn you, krissy; now there's no point in seeing the movie!

Oh man, I was so close to just walking out of the movie I was so bored of it. I felt attached to approximately zero of the characters and the plot is ridiculously predictable. The whole time I felt like they were trying to just trying to make a movie that would fit a video game well. And it was like 2.5 hours. Way disappointed. Lots of other people seem to dig it though.

So this movie has absolutely zero things going for it then? Bull. The plot is predictable but the execution is still done well. The characters are all fun to watch (even Stephen Lang with his sometimes laughable dialogue). And even if all of that still doesn't do it for you, then what about the action? Or the 3D? Come on, its amazing.

Oh, and need I remind you that this movie has a mech with a friggin knife. I guess only a true nerd would be able to appreciate that.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I swear this is Pocahontas.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post

Oh, and need I remind you that this movie has a mech with a friggin knife. I guess only a true nerd would be able to appreciate that.

yes

do i need to see this movie in 3d?