Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh man I'm going to punch you in the nose Dreddz. I just saw this movie yesterday with my brothers and it was fantastic. I missed a little bit of the begginning because we were running a little late and my brother wanted to get popcorn. From what I saw though was phenomenal. That movie literally almost had me crying man it as so beautiful. Very emotional. Despite being similar to a movie that came out 19 years ago, and which a lot of people probably haven't seen it since around that time, it was really good.

It was cool to see Guile play as a villain. When he got that guy out of the pod and punched him I wanted to yell "Sonic Boom". He was badass at the end of the movie too. I wish I could've seen it in 3-D. I heard you didn't even need the glasses. The movie was superb looking, had great action, and was emotional. My brothers really liked it too. I couldn't believe that my older brother didn't even realize that it took place on anothr planet despite the movie calling the planet Pandora, having floating continents, alien species, and alien vegetation.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I definitely needed the glasses.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is a simulatude film. If you don't know what it means I'm not going to bother explaining it, but just know that Cameron is a simulatude director and so is Spielberg. They essentially are rich because they make the same movie over and over with the same formula. The only catch is that the change the character names and settings a bit so it's not too similar and most people always go to see it regardless of knowing it's going to be the same thing. I didn't want to see the film, but eventually just decided to give it shot because like everyone else I was amazed with the visuals. It was pretty -- that much is true.

So Avatar = Titanic?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    This is a simulatude film. If you don't know what it means I'm not going to bother explaining it, but just know that Cameron is a simulatude director and so is Spielberg. They essentially are rich because they make the same movie over and over with the same formula. The only catch is that the change the character names and settings a bit so it's not too similar and most people always go to see it regardless of knowing it's going to be the same thing. I didn't want to see the film, but eventually just decided to give it shot because like everyone else I was amazed with the visuals. It was pretty -- that much is true.
    Oh yeah I can see how The Abyss is just like True Lies or The Terminator or Avatar. And Spielberg has definitely made the same type of film over and over - Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Catch Me If You Can, Munich - all so similar!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Personally I think AI is like a carbon copy of Minority Report.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Catch Me If You Can, Munich - all so similar!
    Shark, Aliens, Thierry Henry, Nazis, Nazis, Dinosaurs, Tom Hanks, Terrorists.

All equally frightening in their own way.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    So Avatar = Titanic?
    What?

Where did I lose you?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Where'd your thought come from that Avatar equals Titanic. The only thing they have in common is being directed by the same director.

It was a response to Shiny's post, which was directly above me and therefore a quote was unnecessary.

I just went to see this. I think Cameron has been tooting his own horn for far too long about this thing. I expected it to be over-hyped garbage with the gimmick of having new technology.

I was wrong. I don't even think it was a film so much as an experience. Sure, there are tons of formulaic movie bits. Sure it's Dances with Wolves mixed with Ferngully set on an alien planet. That doesn't take away from how incredible of an experience this movie is. I walked out of the theater overwhelmed and a bit at a loss for words. I was still trying to drink it all in.

I don't even know what else to say. Go see it, preferably in 3D.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

After seeing the film, my sentiments somewhat reflect what others have said:
    - The story and writing were average, and reasonably predictable.
    - The visuals were absolutely amazing.
    - Also, being an audio guy, I definitely appreciated the musical score and theme song. The sound effects were likewise exceptional, save for the sub-par audio system in the theater.

And the reason certain well-known writers/directors reuse the same story template? It apparently works.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just saw this tonight.

It is definitely pretty, I will say that much. But God was the story boring. I knew where it was going near the beginning. Were it not pretty, I would have left 30 minutes into it; the explosions and the end were at least entertaining.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I'm glad I went to see it.