Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

The best cinematic experience of my life. Pure awesome.

Str8 Pimpin'

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

UNOBTANIUM

I can't believe I waited so long to watch this movie. I kick myself...owww.
    Best new sci-fi I've ever seen, I loved it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Watching the movie is proof enough. :p
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah

but it's great in 3d!!
    prettty

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Watching the movie is proof enough.
    Yeah, and Dances with Wolves, etc. etc. It's still a great experience and deserves all the praise it gets as far as I am concerned.

I think the movie was a fantastic experience. Great cinematography, great special effects and CGI visuals, great soundtrack, a solid story and solid characters; thought the story was fairly predictable, but it was still solid.

Before this, we had only seen 3D in cinemas as a gimmick (i.e. Shrek), and I think this has just brought a whole new level of complexity to cinematography in general and allows for much better expression from the director. Really superb.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Is any story really new? Why is this what everyone's so obsessed about? Is it some sort of reactionary anti-hype? Probably every movie that any person can claim to be one of their favorites has a literary of film precursor.

Just because the story (like most) is lightly recycled doesn't mean that it's not a fantastic cinematic experience. Everyone is entitled to not enjoy it, but if your dislike of it is predicated on one these reasons then I feel like you're just being snobby.

Just to admit I'm Mr. Pot talking to Mr. Kettle, I can sometimes be a music snob based on the over simplicity of something musical, but I'm also the first to praise something that is not necessarily unique, but is still amazing despite the fact that it only uses 2-3 chords.

I may fail at a repeat opinion because I skimmed the topic like a douche, but with an estimated budget of $280-$300 million (although there was a studio statement it was $237 million) and an estimated $150 for marketing, you don't try to reinvent storytelling. You use what has been proven to work with audiences with as much twist to it as you can get away with. Then you hope people wank to special effects enough to love it despite any flaws. I'm not saying it can't be a fresher storytelling wheel and be a hit, it can, but it's dangerous ground to go there with this budget handed to him.

Or so I say. I haven't seen the movie. I just hear a lot of complaints and that's my take on it from mouth to ears. I may feel completely different when I see it so discard all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    If this movie tanks, then don't expect anything original coming out of Hollywood anytime soon.
    And by original you mean archetypical? Yes, the film was visually stunning but that never really made the "okay-at-best" storyline we've all heard several times before any less formulaic. Maybe I just dislike the film because absolutely everyone I know is raving about how this is the best sci-fi movie they've ever seen, and it didn't meet my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    You use what has been proven to work with audiences with as much twist to it as you can get away with. Then you hope people wank to special effects enough to love it despite any flaws.
    Haven't directors like George Lucas and Michael Bay already proven that this way of filmmaking is not good? Wait, I forgot, it's just about cashing in. Screw trying to make quality films on top of that.
    Last edited by LowCaloriePie; 01-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

It is what it is. I can't blame a studio for wanting a safe script. Naturally I'd like a story to be good, but I'm just saying I don't blame them, either.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Is any story really new? Why is this what everyone's so obsessed about? Is it some sort of reactionary anti-hype? Probably every movie that any person can claim to be one of their favorites has a literary of film precursor.
    I don't get it either specifically because most of those movies they mentioned also haven't been around in over ten years and I know most movies people go out to see each year isn't completely different than the rest. In an article Cameron admitted his movie wasn't entirely original, but it was inspired by those classic story types. He just wanted to make a new fresh take on those classic themes.

I personally loved the movie.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I just saw this in 3D IMAX and LOVED it.

That said, I don't really see why so many people hark over the story. Stories are constantly rehashed, that is something true in books, movies, shows, etc. Everything is just rehashed. I actually really enjoyed the story, although, I felt it jumped around a bit.

I think the film was an amazing display of cinematography as well as an interesting depiction into a fully realized world that you only see a part of. Everything has its own ecology and vigor, and the plants were amazingly pretty. And for some reason, the entire culture and beliefs of the Na'vi were very believable (although, it reminded me too much of that stupid fairy in LoZ:OoT.)

I dunno, I think people dwell too much on what makes a movie bad and gloss over what make it so good. Who cares if the story is rehashed. You're not going to find much originality in films anymore. It's hard to be original and have it be good, and believable, so make an adaption on what is already proven to work.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    I dunno, I think people dwell too much on what makes a movie bad and gloss over what make it so good.
    Well yeah, that's what people generally do when they don't like something.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that Avatar is already the second highest grossing movie of all time. With only Titanic beating it. That means that James Cameron has both the highest and second highest grossing movie under his belt. This guy is a beast as far as commercial film-making goes.