Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Avatar deserves best picture & best director hands down. The Hurt Locker or any other flick may be a good film but this is just in a different league. This is a film that will be shown for generations, whereas the opposition, won't. I just hope the Oscars give it the recognition it deserves and don't go all noble.

Str8 Pimpin'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I'd say it's more deserving of Best Director (since Cameron has achieved a lot in making it) than it is of Best Film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    I'd say it's more deserving of Best Director (since Cameron has achieved a lot in making it) than it is of Best Film.
    I can probably get behind this.

Well it seems that Avatar snagged both the best drama and best picture awards at the golden globes as well as Mr. JC winning best director. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Well it seems that Avatar snagged both the best drama and best picture awards at the golden globes as well as Mr. JC winning best director. Good stuff.
    Best Picture (Drama) is one award, the Golden Globes for no explicable reason divides Best Film into two awards: Best Film (Drama) and Best Film (Comedy/Musical).

if Avatar is even nominated for best picture at the oscars I will gouge out my left eye. if it is nominated and wins I will commit seppuku.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    if Avatar is even nominated for best picture at the oscars I will gouge out my left eye. if it is nominated and wins I will commit seppuku.
    You will definitely be down to one eye, and I'd get that blade handy as well.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Cameron might be up against his ex-wife for Best Director at the Oscars, that should be fun.
    Cameron deserves the best director Oscar. You have to give credit to a guy who creates new technology to make his film. Plus The Hurt Locker is such an overrated film anyway. Kathryn Bigelow should cut the crap and make a Point Break sequel already.
    Have you seen the Hurt Locker? It's incredible, really one of the best films I've seen all year.

Avatar for sure will be nominated for Best Picture. They've doubled the number of possible nominees in an attempt to give nominations to more blockbuster films (and thereby increase viewership) rather than focus so much on the smaller critically acclaimed films that the American public don't watch. It's like they knew Avatar was coming and revamped the Award show to accommodate it. If Avatar is nominated for screenplay, than that's some funky shenanigans going on there. A win for Best director is iffy just because of the reputation Cameron has built up for himself within the Industry of being a jackass. And the Academy loves to make history with their awards, which they would do by giving Best Director to Bigelow making her the first female to ever win that award.

I'd be happy if The Hurt Locker, UP or Inglourious Basterds took the Best Picture prize. I don't think Avatar deserves it.

I may diagree with them about Avatar, but I imagine Dredzz isn't the sort of person to say a film is overrated when they havn't seen it!

It was all the fuss over The Dark Knight not being nominated last year, along with the low viewing figures the year before when the main contenders were No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood - brilliant films, but not exactly mass appeal - that partially prompted the move to ten Best Picture nominees (a silly gimmick in my opinion).

To be honest even if Avatar does win all the big prizes I'm hardly going to blow a gasket (life's too short to go nuts over the Oscars), it won't be anywhere near as bad as when the Titanic juggernaut beat LA Confidential. As great as it is The Hurt Locker won't win I feel, it's just been too small a film commercially, it makes No Country look like a mega blockbuster.

Mind you if Leona Lewis wins Best Song, now that would be a travesty XD

I liked it. It's obviously not going to completely revolutionise the way cinema is thought about but the story is well executed and visually it's amazing.

I think all the people accusing the film of racism are missing a pretty important point: (SPOILER)Sully had an advantage over the natives in that he knew the human military from the inside, and was capable of thinking in the same manner as their commanders. I don't think the film was saying so much, "white people are genetically more competent" as it was saying, "white people are culturally more vicious and therefore more competent at war in particular". This isn't a particularly anti-minority view and it actually resonates with things that very left-wing and anti-racist authors, e.g. Howard Zinn, have written. Zinn's account of the conquest of the American continent, starting with the first chapter of A People's History of the United States, is actually pretty reflected by the message of Avatar in my opinion: the natives simply didn't understand the Europeans. They were incapable of thinking as viciously as the Europeans did, of even comprehending the possibility that people could behave in such a vile fashion, and so they were slaughtered mercilessly. This hardly means the Europeans were in any way "superior". It just means that they thought in a different, and much less civilised, fashion than the natives did. The idea that someone from a largely peaceful culture that doesn't have mass warfare would be able to defeat a culture based around militarism strikes me as pretty naïve. That Jake is able to comprehend, and therefore defeat, the humans doesn't mean he's "superior" to the natives; it just means he understands their thinking. That, I think, is the point Cameron was trying to make by having him lead their war effort.

And I definitely didn't get that it was praising militarism in any case. Lest we forget, the only reason the Na'vi even won is because Eywa answered their prayers. A pretty clear case of nature overpowering technology in my view. I don't see anything in the film implying that Jake was the only one who could have made those prayers; I don't see the film implying that only Jake could have tamed the Toruk (indeed, five Na'vi had previously tamed it). I do think it meant to imply that he was the one who took the initiative because he was more inclined to think in militaristic terms. (Some of the Na'vi's comments also implied that the Toruk could only be tamed in times of crisis or flux; if the war against the humans wasn't a time of crisis or flux, what was?)

I'm not saying some of the implications of the plot aren't still somewhat questionable but I think a lot of them are being blown out of proportion.
    Last edited by The Man; 01-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I concur The Mans stance on the movie...

I enjoyed verily much! I want to see it again!

HOTROD
    "Lets go for a spin you and I"

I will say having Avatar as the biggest film of 2009 is infinitely preferable to having Transformers 2 as the biggest.