Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Default New Avatar trailer is the real deal

Wow, did that movie look awesome. December just isn't going to come fast enough.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Sooooooo pretty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This looks amazing.

This movie is being significantly overlooked in my opinion. I don't think people quite understand the significance of this picture yet. Its the first time in a while that a film studio is willing to spend big bucks ($300 millions worth) on a sci-fi movie which isn't a remake or sequel to an established franchise. If this movie tanks, then don't expect anything original coming out of Hollywood anytime soon.

To elaborate on my first post, this movie looks be one hell of a ride. Some of the action within the trailer looks immense. Just imagining all of this in 3D is too cool for words. I understand the main criticism of this movie though, that the story is oversimplified and cliche. I like to think that James Cameron has a lot of tricks up his sleeves but even if the story is as straightforward as the trailer makes it out to be, then at least the action will make it all worthwhile.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 10-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.

I have yet to see a James Cameron film that I didn't like. I have a lot of confidence that this movie will do pretty well. Also just because a story is simple or a bit cliche doesn't automatically make it a bad movie. So long as the story can immerse the audience and make them feel emotions, than the film and story are successful (at least in my opinion). Lets not forget that Titanic is a fairly simple story, its a formula thats used often in movies, yet that movie did very well, and dispite the fact that it got a little mushy at times it was an enjoyable movie to watch (again, at least in my opinion).

I believe this movie is going to do just fine and I can't wait to see it.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I really liked how they matched james cameron’s previous successes with appropriate sings of the movie such as a robot for terminator aliens for aliens and an orgosm for titanic

For some reason James Cameron shamelessly selling himself in the trailer made it seem all the more epic. Although he skipped The Abyss!
    Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post
    I have yet to see a James Cameron film that I didn't like. I have a lot of confidence that this movie will do pretty well. Also just because a story is simple or a bit cliche doesn't automatically make it a bad movie. So long as the story can immerse the audience and make them feel emotions, than the film and story are successful (at least in my opinion). Lets not forget that Titanic is a fairly simple story, its a formula thats used often in movies, yet that movie did very well, and dispite the fact that it got a little mushy at times it was an enjoyable movie to watch (again, at least in my opinion).
    I'm fully agreed on anything you just said. A lot of his movies are made up of tired ideas but the characters he places within these stories is what pulls the movie along. Aliens is a good example. Not an entirely original story but still a pleasure to watch as you really get involved with the characters.

Still not sure whether or not this movie will be as successfully as James Cameron hopes. I think they want this to be the next Star Wars or something. It has every right to be but I just don't see that much hype surrounding this movie considering it just over a month before its release. I'd imagine Fox will be going all out with the advertising from now till its release though.

It does look to have some cliche elements, but trailers keep a lot from you, too. I think on the outside The Terminator looks like a cheesy 80's action flick, but its contents were more and it spawned a huge franchise. Who knows! With Star Wars wrapped up, hopefully that fanbase moves on to this.

Although my negative side says it will open at number 1 through a high budget and nice movie history from the director, then be dethroned by the next weekend's competition, and the next weekend slip from the top 3 altogether. But hopefully I'm very wrong.

this is sparta!!!! er I mean our land!

looks pretty good so far, it got me intrested
    Too big. <-- yeah i heard that one before

This seems worryingly to me :*(
    I will never be a memory.

The movie does look good.

I'm just not sure whether or not it's going to be as huge a success as they want it to be, though.

Banned

Maybe it's just because of the video quality, but the CGI looks incredibly poor for such a big budget production!

I'll probably see it, but I don't expect it to fair well at the box office.

The CG on most of the aliens seems shoddy, but the plot also seems way too tired, clichéd, and boring to me.

It may wind up being decent, but it's no Lord of the Rings.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

YouTube - James Cameron's Avatar -Thanator Chase

I advise all the people doubting this movie to watch the clip above. Not only does it remind us that James Cameron is one badass filmaker but it also does the CGI some justice that the trailers simply couldn't. Its hard to think that those water effects at the end are all CGI. This movie will be a game changer, trust me.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 12-07-2009 at 07:24 PM.