Thread: Last Book You Read and Your Review of It

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pink Grin Last Book You Read and Your Review of It

Arthur Conan Doyle - Study in Scarlet

the first Sherlock Holmes novel introduces holmes and watson and takes us along the murder case of Enoch Drebber.

It was pretty awesome. I've never read any sherlock holmes so I'm just familiar with the charicatures of him that have showed up through the decades since these were published. It turns out he is a solitary, almost cocky, meticulous person.

It's a lot of fun to see how forensic science has progressed from a hundred years ago; how much sheer chemistry has been developed since then.

[spoilers]it even has MORMONS. I totally didn't see that coming. It was so interesting to see a portrait of the West by an englishman[/spoiler]

The Master and Margarita - One of the best things I've ever read. That's 'bout all I gotta say.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door through BookMooch: exchange books and trade them, like a book swap or book barter and was completely unimpressed with it.

I liked Wrinkle and Swiftly Turning Planet well enough, but Wind in the Door seems terribly predictable, and obsessed over the fractal view of existence. Perhaps if I had read it when I was younger I would've at least had the happiness that comes with nostalgia in these cases

The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde A glorious read, I loved it, literature at its most articulate. Long live Lord Wotton!
    Thats me in the blue sporting the Edward Scissorhands haircut

Thanx for the cool Siggie Starry Relm.
    :evilking: :evilking:

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Hand Maiden's Tale - Margaret Atwood

My first Atwood novel. Dsytopian literature at its best and a very interesting foray into feminist lit without it being too much. The historical and psychological aspects of it were fantastic. What an imagination. I have to argue that I think this may be a better dystopian novel than A Brave New World.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite

pretty typical superhero family with family issues drama with tongue-in-cheek commentary about the genre and high brow glances at evolutionary degrees of freedom between monkeys and humans. 7 magic kids adopted and raised by cold eccentric millionaire who trains them to be a superhero force, years later come apart at the seams after his death; some struggle to live a normal life, others struggle to appease whatever daddy issues they had with their 'father'.

some interesting art direction. i would have like it far more if the dialogue had been better, probably.

6/10

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    I liked Wrinkle and Swiftly Turning Planet well enough, but Wind in the Door seems terribly predictable, and obsessed over the fractal view of existence. Perhaps if I had read it when I was younger I would've at least had the happiness that comes with nostalgia in these cases
    Uh yeah, those books are aimed at a much younger audience. I loved them when I was 10. I liked Wind in the Door, though I may have just been fascinated by all of the pseudo-scientific stuff in it.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

the stand

too weak.... to associate with words.... any longer...

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

^the full edition is sitting on my desk
    i guess i should read it before my desk buckles under the 1000 f'n pages
    geez

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Uh yeah, those books are aimed at a much younger audience. I loved them when I was 10. I liked Wind in the Door, though I may have just been fascinated by all of the pseudo-scientific stuff in it.
    I know that iwas saying when I reread the others recently, I liked them a lot better than I liked this one

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

<i>Middlesex</i>

Pretty entertaining look at a family over a couple generations. It deals with gender roles pretty effectively and convincingly. The main character (narrator) is very well portrayed and almost seems like a real person. Not a gripping page turner by any means but are really interesting read.

4/5

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Dark Elf Trilogy omnibus by R.A. Salvatore.

Great book(s). A friend recommended it to me and it was much better than I thought. Story of a dark elf who grows up in the evil world of his heritage and his struggles in finding his morals.

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

I first read this book when I was 16/17 and I fell in love with it. Holden Caulfield's way of thinking mirrored mine at the time, and it made me feel that I wasn't alone. Five years later and I still love it as much as that first time I read it. It's well written, a simple and belivable story and with characters that you could belive in. The first time I finished it I wanted to know what happened next, I couldn't believe that was it. It's the only time I have ever cared about a character in a book so much. I can't reccommend it enough, everyone should read this book.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always thought Holden was a whiny little bitch who needed to grow the smurf up, and the book really annoyed me.

Though it certainly is well written and worth a look.

Tecumseh and the Quest for Indian Leadership by R. David Edmunds

I had to read this for history class. Tecumseh was an Indian warchief in the early 1800's. The book was rather boring until it got to the War of 1812, where it got mildly entertaining. I got a 100 on the quiz over the book though, so all is good.