Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Last Book You Read and Your Review of It

Stuff I've recently read:

Noam Chomsky - Hopes and Prospects. It goes without saying that this is chock full of important information that conveniently gets left out of mainstream media outlets; anyone who's read one of Chomsky's book-length volumes before should know what to expect. Needless to say he's not a fan of the current administration and he makes it clear just how far they've descended into the same lawlessness practised by the Bush administration. I'd say this is pretty much essential reading for anyone who wants insight into why the country hasn't improved as much as so many of our media types believed it would. And, as is par for the course with Chomsky, the documentation for his claims is quite thorough, so you can figure out where he's getting his information pretty easily with a trivial amount of googling of the sources listed in the endnotes.

Daniel Suarez - Daemon and Freedom™. After a famed computer game developer's obituary is posted in the news, a computer program activates that begins killing former employees of his company, and later law enforcement officials who attempt to investigate his property. And that's only the beginning. I'm not going to disclose any of the plot beyond this because Suarez takes delight in constantly confounding the reader's expectations, especially in the first book. I will say that this is a technothriller with no letup on either the techno or the thriller that was written by a person who clearly understands the technology he's writing about, which is a nice change of pace for the usual entries in the genre (Dan Brown I'm looking at you). All of the technologies described within either exist in real life or are expected to exist within short notice, and the fact that Sobol was a multibillionaire who spent a lot of his fortune on R&D makes the existence of anticipated technologies more believable. I will also say that Suarez has a superb grasp of the issues facing mankind and many of the solutions he has for them are things I'd never even thought of before. Whether they're realistic will be up for the reader to decide.

Current reading includes:

Nouriel Roubini & Stephen Mihm - Crisis Economics. Roubini has a reputation as the economist who predicted the current economic crisis in perhaps the greatest detail, and the analysis here goes a long way towards explaining how he was able to do it. The authors contend that financial crises are entirely predictable based on certain behaviours in the market, and go into exhaustive detail describing some of these behaviours. The authors then review how various schools recommend dealing with crises (Austrian, Keynesian, Marxist, etc.), going into the strengths and weaknesses of each, and then make specific policy recommendations for how to deal with crises in the future, most of which seem to be eminently reasonable (I've only skimmed through this part of the book at this point). Recommended reading.

John Twelve Hawks - The Traveler. Since the final volume of the trilogy finally came out in paperback last week, I picked this up in the book store a few days ago based on a recommendation from customers who seemed to know what they were talking about last year. The series is set in an alternate reality earth where people called Travelers can visit other realms, but apart from the existence of Travelers and a few other factions invented for the series it's set in our present day. Thus far the depiction of technology used for surveillance and the extent to which it is employed makes Orwell look downright complacent. This is paranoia fuel to the highest degree: they really are out to get you. Libertarians and left-wingers will probably appreciate Twelve Hawks' view of the world. Thus far I've been immensely drawn into the series and have already picked up the second book.

I have a lot more stuff I'm reading at the moment (working at a book store basically ensures that I never have fewer than ten books in progress at once) but I'm too lazy to talk about it now. Maybe later.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just finished last night reading Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I really enjoyed the book, much more than I thought I would. I haven't really enjoyed crime thrillers for a couple of years now but I have to admit that Larsson not only amused me and intrigued me with his writing but he also managed to actually hook me, to make me want to read the next page and find out who and what had happened. The book is definitely worth reading, I'm looking forwards to reading The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Larsson's one of the best crime novelists I've read recently; all three novels were top-notch. I read the final book in one day, only stopping to get up to eat and watch TV with my family. I strongly recommend James Ellroy as well.

I finished The Traveler and it got, if anything, more compelling as the story went on. Now fifty pages into The Dark River; that was a pretty dark opening to say the least.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

About halfway through The Children of Men, and it's really fantastic thus far. The scene with the ceramic child doll gave me goosebumps.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I just finished Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. It's a fantasy novel, the first in an ongoing series. Overall, it's exceptionally well-written, with an engaging plot and realistic, relateable characters. It really feels like you're being told a story. The plot device "If this were a story _____ would happen, but instead ______" got a little old, but I did appreciate the attempt at realism -- it was not as stark and bleak as Abercrombie's First Law series, but still much better done than with most fantasy series. A little slow to develop, but I was still engrossed for most of the book.

I just finished reading a book called "One day" by a geezer named David Nicholls.

I was skeptical because I didn't think it would really be my sort of thing, but i really enjoyed it. It was written very well and it made me cry so bad!
    It was about two graduates who spend one night hanging out and then the next 20 years of their lives together and apart, as they try to avoid the obvious fact that they should be together.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

hucen;asc
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray - Oh god, this book was tiresome. There were parts I liked, especially with the main character. She was a surprisingly nice change from the characters I'm used to in these types of period novels. But there were pages and pages that I just skipped over cause the author was blathering on. I hate when authors talk directly to the reader in that way.

Water for Elephants
    by Sara Gruen - I wasn't expecting much since this is one of those super popular, half off if you buy 2 books, type of thing. But I ended up LOVING it. LOVE! Such great mood and atmosphere. Just sucks you right in to that incredible era of the American depression and the subculture of the traveling circus.

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks - Movie is sooo much better. I don't believe I have ever read such a sappy saccharine book in my entire life.

The Rug Merchant by Meg Mullins - Lovely. Not so much about story, but about a quick interlude in two people's lives. I thought the writing was poetic, but not overly descriptive. In fact, it was fairly sparse but still fluid and beautiful.

One thing I liked about AFFC is that it gives a much fuller picture of what Westeros is like for common people than any preceding volume in the series did. Taken on its own though, I agree that it's not as strong, and it definitely suffers for the lack of the many main characters who were omitted.

As for characters behaving stupidly, it's been about five years since I read the series but in most cases I found that it wasn't so much stupidity as it was not having available all the information that is available to the reader. One of Martin's main themes is that warfare is based on deception (which is an old point going back to Sun Tzu if not earlier), and thus those who have imperfect information are unlikely to make expedient decisions.

My review of John Twelve Hawks' Fourth Realm trilogy:

John Twelve Hawks - The Traveler, The Dark River and The Golden City. Since the final volume of the trilogy finally came out in paperback a couple of weeks ago, I picked the whole thing up in the book store based on a recommendation from customers who seemed to know what they were talking about last year. I was not disappointed. The surveillance depicted within makes Orwell look downright complacent and Twelve Hawks' insight into of the current political situation is strong indeed. Twelve Hawks correctly notes that surveillance isn't really a "left versus right" issue - governments of all ideological stripes support these things in order to increase their own power, and due to the potential for abuse innate in this technology, which the trilogy compellingly makes disturbingly clear, they should be opposed unilaterally. (The ending also makes it clear that a mass movement is needed to generate any meaningful change, a gesture I appreciate - far too much dystopic fiction doesn't really bother suggesting any realistic solutions, but Twelve Hawks' ending gently nudges the reader to get involved). Beyond the political content, the characterisation and plotting are strong and the pacing is immaculate - scarcely twenty pages go by without some compelling action sequence (Twelve Hawks has embellished the modern world by adding a few fictitious science-fiction elements which add to the action and philosophical content, but otherwise left the current political situation unchanged). The philosophical content is also quite compelling.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

ef I am efw
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-17-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray - Oh god, this book was tiresome. There were parts I liked, especially with the main character. She was a surprisingly nice change from the characters I'm used to in these types of period novels. But there were pages and pages that I just skipped over cause the author was blathering on. I hate when authors talk directly to the reader in that way.
    Agreed, this book could be shortened by about a 100 pages if he just cut the crap
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

I've just finished 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King, and it really got me thinking. And it nearly broke my wrists. >< That's one HEAVY book.

At any rate, the story is about a small town that spends a little over a week trapped withing an impenetrable dome, and what happens to the people therein. There's the typical SK sci-fi touch, but it's the way the PEOPLE interact that make up the most of the book.

All in all, a good read, but not for those with carpal tunnel. That books over 1k pages. ><
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a solid read, and it's accessible for people outside of fantasy buffs as it doesn't overwhelm the reader with intricacies. Easy to read, funny, and entertaining characters. Nothing really great, but enjoyable.

Hemingway - Old Man and the Sea

Enjoyed it a lot. Hemingway is very easy to read and I just liked the themes running through it. Read a bit about his life at the time and it seemed to make a bit more sense to me (although the critics would most likely disagree).

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Not really the type of book I thought I'd be interested in. I detested beyond reason Conrad's Heart of Darkness, so I was wary of this book which also deals with the African Congo.

But I found the book to be engrossing and poetic. Heartbreaking at times. Lots of flaws for sure. You never really quite believe in most of the characters. They're incredibly one-dimensional, with the exception being the Mother. Who for some reason, is the most fascinating, but has the fewest chapters dedicated to her. And the book is essentially broken up into two parts. The first part being 10 times stronger than the 2nd part. Still, I enjoyed it.

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Quite possibly, the most astounding book I have ever read. And one of the hardest to read. I'm not saying that it's the most interesting book, the most captivating, or most beautiful. Just the fact that a book like this, so well written, even exists blows my socks off. There have been so many times when I've had to put the book down and there are two reasons for this. A) I made the mistake of reading the introduction and the appendices before diving into the book itself, and it breaks my heart to know the context of the book. Who wrote it, when she wrote it, and how it came to be published. B) Sometimes I have to pause and take a break because it's incredibly hard for me to understand how this book is possible. How can the writing be so clear, so vivid, and so composed, when given the circumstances? It amazes me to the point where I'm just arrested. Even disregarding the context of the book's existence, I would still describe the book as beautifully written, with characters that feel so alive and real that you can see them in your head as clear as day.

I have to believe that the author was some sort of genius, in order for her to have written this book. And knowing that she was probably a genius... well that just breaks your heart even more.