Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 > All

Default Xbox 360 > All

Through the Looking-Glass
    I'll be getting a PS3 later this month as a confirmed gift even though I'd planned to grab it on Black Friday myself. I've never been that interested in XBox 360 for far too many reasons. Perhaps it's the fact that Microsoft tries to screw its consumers with proprietary gizmos like hard drives, wireless adapters, controller chargers, and online play all for lots of extra money on top of the console. PS3 has always seemed like the cheaper, and more functional-out-of-the-box console even at the higher price point. This is coming from a person who currently owns neither console and is an unbiased outside observer.

Until recently I haven't even given a crap about exclusives. PS3 now has Demon's Souls which tickles my fancy enough (on top of Netflix, Blu-ray, and a handful of older games that aren't even exclusive) to make me want one. But I always hear about how XBox 360 has all of the awesome exclusives and is the far superior console.

"I made him an offer he couldn't refuse."
    So apparently there is a rumor that seems all but confirmed that Walmart will be essentially selling Xbox 360 (Arcade)'s for $100 this weekend. Though I've never been interested before, I feel I would be stupid to pass up a current gen console at this price regardless. Even if there were only a two or so games making worth it, that would be worth a $100 dollar console and some of the XBLA/marketplace stuff.

Where's the beef?
    So with my newly sparked interest in the console that I'll inevitably pick up this weekend, I decided to actually look around to see what's up with all of the awesomeness that is XBox exclusive and why having the console will make my gaming life more complete. I've got to say I'm sadly disappointed. If you're not interested in Halo, what the hell does the 360 have to offer. Sure there's Fable II... maybe Mass Effect (which I could play on PC)... Bayonetta looks better on 360, but many if not most games that are on PS3/360/PC either look very similar between PS3/360 or look far better on PC.

So for all of the rabid fanboyism that the 360 garners, I have to ask, where's the substance? What are the insane perks? Where are the be-all-end-all exclusives that make 360 leagues ahead of the PS3?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Ignoring cross-console games, which I guess you should buy based on what console your friends have so you can play online with them, here are my personal favourite 360 games, excluding thew two Halos (although maybe Halo Wars is worth a look if you like RTS games):

- Dead Rising
    - Gears of War and Gears of War 2
    - GTA: Episodes from Liberty City (much better than the original cross-platform GTA IV imho)
    - Ninja Gaiden 2
    - Fable II
    - Crackdown
    - Saints Row (although Saints Row 2 is better and multi-platform, the original is still worth a play)

I'm sure someone else will come in and suggest the JRPGs, but I've never played them so I can't recommend them.
    So for all of the rabid fanboyism that the 360 garners
    Really? Maybe you're speaking for the internet in general rather than EoFF, but if not, I don't know if you've ever seen any threads in Gen Gaming or FFXIII but the vast majority of the members here are crazy anti-360 fanboys. One day I am going to start renaming them "I LUV MASTER CHIEF" and see how long it takes for me to get brutally murdered.

Blog Entries

Xbox360 isn't for everyone. I've had Sony consoles for years and the only reason I got one was for Gears of War. It's a bit dated and naff now but it's my favourite game!

There are plenty of games for the 360 so I'm sure you could find things you like.

Maybe the xbox isn't the best console in the world and it may not have insane perks or exclusive this and exclusive that, at the end of the day it plays games. And I just so happen to like some of the games so I get what I want from my xbox. If you want more from a console then , yeah, ps3 is probably better for you
    If I turn my back I'm defenceless, and to go blindly seems senseless.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm really not a fan of the 360 at all, but I do like what the Xbox Live Arcade has to offer-- not to mention I'll have Mushihimesama Futari for it by the end of this month. Other than that, it's just the handful of FPS games I'm mildly interested in, and I couldn't care less about the rest. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Maybe you're speaking for the internet in general rather than EoFF, but if not, I don't know if you've ever seen any threads in Gen Gaming or FFXIII but the vast majority of the members here are crazy anti-360 fanboys. One day I am going to start renaming them "I LUV MASTER CHIEF" and see how long it takes for me to get brutally murdered.
    Yeah, I meant the internet in general. EoFF seems far more neutral over all and extremely biased toward PS3 over in the FFXIII forum. But on the internet at large there seems to be a lot more ire toward the PS3 and a fap fest around the 360.

I'm not saying that 360 doesn't have its offerings. I've heard great things about Lost Odyssey. I'm interested in Fable II. Bayonetta looks to be far superior on 360 so seeing as I'll have one, I'll pick it up for 360. I also probably wouldn't mind picking up Dead Rising. GTA IV I'll probably aim for PC after reading some comparisons (that is if I ever get interested enough at all). It's just that for all of the bragging on the internet about Xbox exclusives, these picking seem slim... but...

I'm largely just disinterested in the extremely testosterone injected war games (hi2u GoW, CoD, et. al.). I'm guessing these and Halo are the ZOMG exclusives everyone talks about. Sounds like 360 is the ultimate console if you're into online play with these types of games. Just to me personally, it doesn't seem like that much of a selling point.

So I guess my bias is in the types of games I play and that leads me to just not find much interested in the 360 library nor the console relative to other things. Hell, there are probably more games in the Wii library I like (namely exclusives) than across the entirety of the PS3/360 library.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    and I couldn't care less about the rest. :/
    Every time someone actually states that phrase correctly I get a boost in my trust of humanity.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to say I do like the Xbox 360 but hell I love my PS3 a lot more. I had quite a few hours with the olde 360 (my room mate had one) & yeah it was alright. I completed Army Of Two, GTA IV (both endings), Resident Evil 5 never got to finish The Last Remnant unfortunately. I loved Gears Of War as well!

But then I bought my PS3 Slim & I'm sorry its so much better. Unless your playing an FPS game the PS3's controller is so much better. Then there is the added fact if you want to charge the 360's controller you have to take out the batteries & put them in a charger can't play on but with the PS3 controller when the battery is low you plug in the USB cable & keep on gaming. Lack of rumble is not an issue since the Sixaxis controller sold with the Slim has rumble. Graphically as well the PS3 is superior but that wasn't a factor that swayed me so much.

As far as exclusive games goes I'll admit the 360 has the edge to a point. Gears Of War 1 & 2, Halo 3 & ODST & the GTA IV episodes I'll admit I'm miffed I can't play them. But & its a big but Metal Gear Solid 4. This game alone made buying the PS3 over the 360 totally worth it. MGS4 for me is one of the most epic gaming experiences I've ever had.

I am kinda bummed out Metal Gear Rising & FFXIII will be on the 360 because the PS3 version will suffer at least in the graphics department because those games are on the 360. I mean MGS4 isn't on the 360 because of "hardware issues" & those are Kojima's words not mine!
    Last edited by Shattered Dreamer; 11-04-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Seeing as this thread has now gone into which console is the best, my answer would be neither. The PS3 and the 360 have practically the same games. There are a few exclusives on either side, sure, but it's not like you can say one has vastly superior exclusives compared to the other. I love Halo 3 but if I had a PS3 I'd probably love MGS4 just as much. I think it comes down to - at least for me - which console your friends have.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Basically if I wanted to get a console to play single player games on I'd easily take the PS3 because there's hardly any exclusive single player games on the 360 worth getting the console over, not compared to the PS3 which has a load. On the flipside if I was out for multiplayer gaming good times I'd go with the 360 all the way because it craps on the PS3 from a great distance in that respect. It all comes down to what you're looking for out of your console.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    On the flipside if I was out for multiplayer gaming good times I'd go with the 360 all the way because it craps on the PS3 from a great distance in that respect. It all comes down to what you're looking for out of your console.
    Explain how? In all seriousness, the two have the same multi-platform games which means stuff like COD4, racing games, and sports titles are all on both, all feature multiplayer, and are not going to be any different.

The PS3 also has plenty of exclusives that not only offered some great multiplayer experiences like Resistance 2 (despite the fact that the single player sucked it's multiplayer was a lot of fun), Uncharted 2, and titles like Little Big Planet that offer an innovative multiplayer and online community experience.

If what you're really trying to say is that Xbox Live is better than the PSN, then you'd be right, but only marginally so. Sony has done a lot to close the gap, and it doesn't cost an extra $50 a year to get all of the benefits of the PSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    it's not like you can say one has vastly superior exclusives compared to the other.
    Certainly not since people's tastes are obviously different, but I could easily make the argument that the PS3 has a greater variety of genres represented by it's exclusives.

For what it's worth Yearg, I've always felt the same way you do now; the 360's exclusives have never been overwhelmingly impressive to me. Aside from Dead Rising and Gears 2 (since I can get the first one on the PC if I really want), there's been nothing that really stood out as being truly unique or exceptional. I find it odd that many people will still even claim that the 360 is far superior for exclusives when it's last really great one was Gears 2 (as far as I'm concerned anyway).

Also, regarding Psychotic's earlier post listing exclusives, Ninja Gaiden 2 isn't exclusive anymore technically, even though I understand there were a lot of changes between it and the PS3 version.

I'm just finding that this PS3 vs 360 and even console vs PC stuff is so much like religion. People just get in their camps, can't really defend the reason they are so stuck to their own beliefs and refuse to see the positives of any other stance. You're either with me or you're demonized. I really see no reason to say one is so much better than the other. Both are horribly flawed and both have great benefits.

Sony is a douchey company for crap like the PSPGo... removing BC on PS3, having a ridiculously pricey launch for PS3 with almost no titles, etc.

MS is a douchey company for trying to nickel and dime you with all of the peripherals and fees for online play.

I just wonder why people start beating their drums with stuff like "ZOMG Uncharted 2 exclusive for PS3... because XBOX SUX!" and "At least we has Halo and Famitsu only gave Bayonetta a 38/40 for PS3 so your console suckz!!!" Luckily I don't see it here really at all, but why is this stuff even newsworthy and why does it have to be this way.

Guess what? You can like BOTH consoles simultaneously for different reasons, and in the long run I'm sure I will. Even though PS3 currently has one exclusive (Demon's Souls) I care a lot about doesn't mean I think 360 is crap because it doesn't have that exclusive. Hell, I'd really like to pick up Fable II on the other side. Win-win.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Basically if I wanted to get a console to play single player games on I'd easily take the PS3 because there's hardly any exclusive single player games on the 360 worth getting the console over, not compared to the PS3 which has a load. On the flipside if I was out for multiplayer gaming good times I'd go with the 360 all the way because it craps on the PS3 from a great distance in that respect. It all comes down to what you're looking for out of your console.
    This is pretty much truth. There's some good multi games on the PS3, but PSN just doesn't give you the kinds of social features that XBL does. I'm not really a big online gamer, so there's very few games on the 360 that appeal to me - Gears and Halo are cool and all, but I'm mostly interested in the campaigns, which aren't really that beefy. Basically what Dan said is exactly right, it's all about where your gaming interests lie.

I think you'll find the 360 has a lot to offer that the PS3 doesn't. For me, its the Forza franchise. I played Forza 2 extensively and have played a bit of Forza 3. All I've got to say is that Polyphony Digital has got to deliver big time with Gran Turismo 5. Other than that, Gears of War is good. Halo is actually one of the better FPS's franchises I've played and doesn't deserve the stick it gets from everyone on the internet. And XBLA is friggin awesome. I mean, they have Phantasy Star II on it for christs sake. What more do you want? Doom? They have that as well.

With all that said, the PS3 is still the best system this gen. Mainly because Sony do one thing Microsoft don't. Make games. Microsoft could really do with some more first party studios as throwing money at third party developer isn't really working all too well. Not that they aren't getting some killer software, its just that it isn't coming in at a consistent rate, which is why 2009 has been pretty weak for the 360. PS3 owners on the other hand always have a killer exclusive to look forward to on the horizon. A result from always having first party developers making games for the system.

What has really killed the 360 though is its fans. They are way too forgiving of Microsoft. If only they had complained about the XBL fee from the start instead of saying "You get what you pay for" then Microsoft would have dropped that fee a long time ago. Plus no one seems to even care anymore about the fact that the 360 has a 1-2 year lifespan. They would rather praise Microsoft for the low low prices they offer on the 360, which is probably why the 360 RROD's, because its a cheaply built piece of crap. Sony on the other hand responded to their fans. We asked for a cheaper console, they did that. We asked for more features on the PSN, they did that. We asked for friggin games, and they most certainly did that. I'd rather see Microsoft treat their fans as well as Sony treats theirs.

Ok I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Also, regarding Psychotic's earlier post listing exclusives, Ninja Gaiden 2 isn't exclusive anymore technically, even though I understand there were a lot of changes between it and the PS3 version.
    The differences between the original and Sigma 2 are night and day. Sigma 2 looks better, has a huge amount of extra content and most importantly, runs a lot smoother. To sum up, they turned a good game great.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 11-04-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Seeing as this thread has now gone into which console is the best, my answer would be neither. The PS3 and the 360 have practically the same games. There are a few exclusives on either side, sure, but it's not like you can say one has vastly superior exclusives compared to the other.
    I would disagree. There's simply nothing out there like Little Big Planet, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and soon 3D Dot Game Heroes. On top of that, I don't think any developers have put as much effort into their games as is visible in Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, or Uncharted 2. That's 7 right there.

I guess I pretty much feel like Yeargdribble. I loved both the Gears of War games, and I wanna play L4D and Mass Effect, but all of those games (except 2nd Gears of War) are infinitely better on the PC. The XBLA games really interested me but Castle Crashers and Braid are coming to PSN. It just seems like over time there are less and less reasons to own a 360, it makes me glad I didn't buy it in 05/06 when i was really contemplating it.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think I said Xbox 360 sucks did I? It got a solid 400 + hours of my life that could've been used reading law books (& god knows I should of spent more time reading them my grade in my degree may of been higher). The controller & MGS4 were the reasons I bought the PS3, I owned a PSX & PS2 I'm accustomed to the controller I'm set in my ways. Most of the other games I buy appear on both machines (I have Arkham Asylum & Fifa 10 along with MGS4, Fallout 3 game of the year edition is next on the wishlist) so I reserve the right to be picky.

When I aired my concerns about how the hardware on Microsoft's machine might effect MGR & FFXIII I meant it in a why couldn't they of just developed these games as PS3 exclusives as they were originally intended & port them later to the 360 with some additional contain to compensate 360 owners for the wait kind of manner. I realize this is a painful expensive way of doing things for developers but hell we're already paying over the odds for console gaming hardware & software to begin with so screw them! €40 - €60 for a new game & €299 for the console a bit steep.

The 360 is a good console if you gave me one tomorrow I wouldn't smash it like some PS3 fanboy. I'm hearing about 360's selling for as low as €150. I might just buy one in the future to catch up on all the exclusives I'm gonna miss. Not getting to finish Gears Of War 2 & The Last Remnant has indeed annoyed me! I reckon I'll get Killzone 2 & Uncharted 1 & 2 to ease my pain

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Almost 20 years has passed and the console wars still raging strong.. (i love this)
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..