Thread: Problems with how Ice and Water where handled.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Problems with how Ice and Water where handled.

The Elemental system is literally being dammaged by said element, not what it does.

For example when attacked by a fire elemental, you are burned, when attacked by a lightning elemental you are struck. But if an enemy who absorbs those elements is hit. then they are healed.

However, I think the Ice and Water elements weren't thought through in this otherwise excelent game. For Water, you are surrounded by a bubble and slammed to the floor, and for Blizzard a block of ice appears above you and drops on your head. See the problem? It's not the elements themselves that course the damage - it's the impact. So enemies that absorb these elememnts should still get damage.

They should have done these differently. Use the other FFs as an example.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you are thinking a little too much about this and as for Water, its not really the slam I feel does the damage cause that's a pretty sad drop. Rather its the fact you get encased into a bubble filled with water and are thus drowning...

You used magic to deal damage in FFVIII?

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    The Elemental system is literally being dammaged by said element, not what it does.

For example when attacked by a fire elemental, you are burned, when attacked by a lightning elemental you are struck. But if an enemy who absorbs those elements is hit. then they are healed.

However, I think the Ice and Water elements weren't thought through in this otherwise excelent game. For Water, you are surrounded by a bubble and slammed to the floor, and for Blizzard a block of ice appears above you and drops on your head. See the problem? It's not the elements themselves that course the damage - it's the impact. So enemies that absorb these elememnts should still get damage.

They should have done these differently. Use the other FFs as an example.
    When you junction Fire to your elemental attack stat, that does not stop the fact that you are still slicing through your enemy with a blade (in Squall's case), which would mean the attack is still a physical slice, not an elemental burn, yet you don't complain about that set-up.

The elemental properties of an attack are obviously quite independent from the method of the attack. A being tied closely enough to the ice element can draw strength from the ice that strikes it, physical impact or not. Hi level fire-magics in FF games are frequently shown to be explosions, which would rip a creature apart via shockwave regardless of any elemental affinity the target has towards fire. Creatures are bound to their elements, they draw strength from them. When the element is actually effecting them (in any way), that bond is strengthened, and the creature can draw energy from that element to restore themselves. That's why the Brothers consantly heal when they are in contact with the ground. The contact with the element, the source of the creature's strength, is far more important to what happens to the creature than the physical aspect is.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyros View Post

hhahahahahaha. Listen to this man

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

When you junction Fire to your elemental attack stat, that does not stop the fact that you are still slicing through your enemy with a blade (in Squall's case), which would mean the attack is still a physical slice, not an elemental burn, yet you don't complain about that set-up.
    I can't believe I didn't think of that - it happens on other FFs aswell (Not the Junctioning, but there are weapons that are "powered" by elenments)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The elemental properties of an attack are obviously quite independent from the method of the attack. A being tied closely enough to the ice element can draw strength from the ice that strikes it, physical impact or not. Hi level fire-magics in FF games are frequently shown to be explosions, which would rip a creature apart via shockwave regardless of any elemental affinity the target has towards fire. Creatures are bound to their elements, they draw strength from them. When the element is actually effecting them (in any way), that bond is strengthened, and the creature can draw energy from that element to restore themselves. That's why the Brothers consantly heal when they are in contact with the ground. The contact with the element, the source of the creature's strength, is far more important to what happens to the creature than the physical aspect is.

Thankyou for pointing all that out to me I understand now. thank you.
    I retract my statement

Quote Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
    I use what ever is necersarry (will correct spelling later if it's wrong) to fight, and to just generally enjoy the game.

Magic was pretty pathetic is this title =/ Ive been replaying it, and I'm in Ultimecia's castle atm about to face off vs Omega. The only way throughout the entire game where Ive found magic did decent damage was with Angel Wing. Otherwise, I would just occasionally (and by occasionally I mean just to kill tonberries since I was really low lv at the time) use meltdown so I could kill things faster.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

magic is not a physical interaction. It's magic.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    I feel Penny arcade said it best...

Penny Arcade! - Assertion Twelve

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    I read that as physical erection the first time for some reason.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Being magic, it is a transfer of paranormal energy, and the spell animations merely reflect the spirit of the transaction, imo