Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: girly DS games for christmas

Default girly DS games for christmas

hey guys, im getting my gf a DS for christmas as i know she wants one and im trying to think of a few games for it. shes into games where u can explore and collect stuff (she really liked fable 2, animal crossing and zelda: phantom hourglass) but she also really wants to play puzzle type games on the DS like the professor layton games and hotel dusk room 215.

im gonna get her hotel dusk for sure, and i was thinking either 1 or both of the professor layton games. im leaning towards just getting her the 2nd one as im assuming theyre just nice puzzle games and u dont need to play the first 1 to understand the 2nd, and also the gameplay will be similar on both, but if im wrong let me know please?

so yeah, any help with game ideas would be much appreciated

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok well being I got my 27 year old girlfriend a DS recently I can help I think...

1) All women/girls love Nintendogs especially if they have no room or space for a real puppy.
    2) Brain Training is generally considered good fun by women.
    3) Animal Crossing duh
    4) Mr Driller
    5) Bomberman
    6) Fashion Boutique

Theres loads out there. If I think of anymore I'll post em.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Games like Hotel Dusk do tend to have more female fans than male. If she likes that kind of game, then she'll probably enjoy Another Code/Trace Memory (made by the same people as Hotel Dusk) and the Ace Attorney series. Your location says you're in the UK, so she'll even get to play the Another Code sequel if she likes it. Lucky bastards.

Check up on a game called Again: Eye of Providence, she might be interested in that when it's released.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

My girlfriend loves Scribblenauts (the first thing she said about it was "Yay! I flew on a pegasus to rescue a kitten!") and it's something you can work on together too!

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Unless it's what she's asking for, I don't think it's a great idea to stick strictly to stereotypically 'girly' games. If anything, I'd say go with gender-neutral games, like Scribblenauts like Paul suggested and such.

Puzzle games are always great for handhelds as well, and if she likes games where you explore and find stuff, maybe try Shiren the Wanderer, perhaps? It's got a bit of a Zelda vibe to it, only you play as a wandering samurai instead. :P

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Dead Serious Suggestion: Style Boutique (Style Savvy in the US). Unless she totally loathes the idea of fashion, she might be into it. I'm assuming this is the same game Iceglow mentioned, but it is actually called 'Style Boutique' and not 'Fashion Boutique'. If you go looking for something with 'Fashion' in the title you might come out with one of those terrible 'Imagine' games.

Description from GameFAQs:
    ...you work in a boutique store and recommend suitable clothes and accessories to people who need them. You can have your own shop as the game progress, and you will get to manage the stock, including the mannequin for shop display. You will also get invited to events, and you need to dress up yourself
    accordingly.
    I've heard from a few adult females in the games industry who completely adore the game, but know that people will just ignore it because it looks like those terrible 'Imagine' games. This is a game being pushed out by Nintendo themselves, so that should at least give an impression of the quality.

For a puzzle game, Planet Puzzle League is my favourite. The Ace Attorney games were fun to play through too.

Professor Layton is a series. There are things in the first game that unlock in the second game, and so on. I'd say get the first one for now (unless you really want to get both) and see if she wants the next one after that, when it might be a little cheaper.

JKTrix makes a good point. I've played Style Boutique and it is actually a pretty great game. It's very simple and quite easy towards the beginning and it gets a lot more fun after unlocking the fashion contests and stuff.
    Of course, if she doesn't like those sorts of games, don't bother because it'll be a waste of money.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved Rub Rabbits. It's a quick game but it's pretty and colorful and fun.

Super Princess Peach is a great Mario game.

Nintendogs is fun for a couple of days but then is insanely boring.

Big Brain Academy is always good times.

Brain Age is great, and has sudoku.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

My World, My Way

You play as a spoiled princess who goes adventuring. It's awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oo, I'm adding that one to my Amazon wishlist.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    My World, My Way

You play as a spoiled princess who goes adventuring. It's awesome.
    That sounds interesting, actually. I want this. =O

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    im leaning towards just getting her the 2nd one as im assuming theyre just nice puzzle games and u dont need to play the first 1 to understand the 2nd, and also the gameplay will be similar on both, but if im wrong let me know please?

There's at least one story element she won't get if she plays the sequel first. I'm not sure how vital this part is to the story as I haven't finished the game myself yet, but she'll definitely have parts from the first one spoiled if she plays the sequel first. AFAIK, it's not a disaster if she plays the sequel first though. Outside Layton and the kid, 95% of the story seems independent from the first game so far. Is the reason why you want to get her the sequel that you've played the first one and want to play the second one with her? If not, I don't see a reason not to get her the first one first!

Scribblenauts is definitely awesome. Harvest Moon DS and Island of Happiness was quite dull compared to other Harvest Moon titles. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves is fun, but might not be her cup of tea if she can't handle fast paced games. A Phoenix Wright game perhaps?

i wanted to get her the 2nd layton game because i assumed they were both quite casual, fun etc and would be independant of eachother, like the 2nd would just be a new story but would be a bit more updated and better gameplay cos its a sequel

anyway thanks for the help guys, i kinda feel bad tho for wasting ur time a bit cos ive decided im just gonna get her the DS with hotel dusk and i bought her the whole xena tv series on DVD as well

ill definately keep all these games in mind though if i ever feel like being nice to her in the future

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hotel Dusk is so pretty. I think I want to play it again after seeing this thread xD

Definately Trauma Center. My mother and I are hooked on it, and again ,you might want to steer away from stereotypically girly games. Not because I want to run around making a statement about 'girl power' or anything but you never know, she might find it patronising But then again, she could take it as you being considerate and buying a game for her, not a game you'd like to borrow from her, lol. If puzzles/missions and emotive stuff are her thing, then why not Final Fantasy? (obvious choice). Minus all the combat gameplay, Final Fantasy strikes me as a series I'd initially assume to appeal more to females if they had the exposure to the series. I think the only reason the majority of fans are male is because the majority of hardcore gamers are male. Sorry if I went a bit off topic ^^