Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American/British English voice actors

Default American/British English voice actors

I notice that with every English-language re-recording of spoken dialogue, the voice actors are always American. I can't help but wonder what the characters would sound like if they had British accents...
    Is that your final answer?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Posh obviously, it's how we all talk in England.

Of course the dwarves of Conde Petie in FFIX have very Scottish-sounding dialogue, a shame we never got to hear voice acting for that (mind you, it would have probably been something like Mike Myers' attempt at one in Shrek and Austin Powers)
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Gideon Emery or Balthier's voice from FFXII was slightly British. He was an English born actor, he does live in LA but he had that twinge of an accent.

I heard quite a bit of different accents in XII. Most of the characters that came from Archadia had british or western european accents; not forget about Fran and Balthier as well. Many of the voice actors in War of the Lions had accents.

Though outside of the Ivalice Alliance I do agree that many of the characters in many of the FF games have a more northern or even northeastern american accent. Or as some from the deep south in the U.S put it, the voice actors typically have very yankee accents. I suppose the reason most of the voice work in the series is like that is because I imagine most of the voice actors are from the northern half of the U.S. However thats just a guess.

I remember seeing somewhere that when American cartoons are released in the UK, the characters are re-voiced using British voice actors, and I wondered why the same wasn't done for video games.

I would say that the majority of English voice actors are either from the east coast of the west coast of the United States.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah I would think it would be cool if for the UK localization they did that, have UK voice actors for it.

XII was amazing though. US, British, and Indian (i guess) accents in one game, Alexander O. Smith really nailed it with that idea. Not to mention the sheer quality of voice acting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think it's most likely because the market is bigger in america than the UK. There aren't nearly as many people living in the UK as there are in US. So they are just playing more to their market.

I wish they always had, but in XII they were okay.
    British accents are sooo extremely sexy.

Blog Entries

Balthier always seemed kind of British to me. :/
    But I want to see the characters in X with British accents. Now THAT would be hilarious.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Better yet, imagine the characters of VII with British accents, or maybe even Dissidia! I like British accents.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ Well, there's more than one accent in Britain. Which is ironic that I'm the one pointing it out, since I said XII had "british accents" in this very thread.

Anyway this just reminds me of playing MW2 with Rocket Edge from EoFF the other day. I had to ask him to keep repeating himself, which he apologized for having a heavy irish accent.

I think Layer Cake was a bunch of Scottish dudes, but yeah, I had to watch the movie on subtitles which I'm actually embarassed about, I mean this is the only language i really know for real.

Sorry for the tangent

Not only that, but the British use different terminology that us Americans, and they even spell things differently! For example, many words that end with an "-or" in the US end with an "-our" in the UK (specific example: US "color" and UK "colour").

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

And aluminum with an I?! What is that?! D: Silly british.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The biggest insult to the language by far is pronouncing lieutenant as if it had an "F" in there somewhere.

(this debate never gets old)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    And aluminum with an I?! What is that?! D: Silly british.
    I think you probably meant to say "an additional letter I;" I think it's spelled "aluminium."

Another example: "program" (US) and "programme" (UK).