View Poll Results: Who is Cloud's love interest?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tifa

55 59.78%
  • Aerith

25 27.17%
  • I'm undecided

12 13.04%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss Cloud's main love interest: Aerith or Tifa

Note: "couple of short stories they put online" = Square Enix stories, not fanfiction.
    Right you mean like Case of Tifa and Case of Nanaki and such, right? and if it was about Tifa and Cloud, you read Case of Tifa
    "In FFVII fandom, love triangle debates are considered especially heinous. In this fandom, the dedicated Clotis and Cleriths who engage in these vicious debates are members of an elite forum known as the The Forgotten City.
    These are their stories."

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Note: "couple of short stories they put online" = Square Enix stories, not fanfiction. There's a good chance I may have read them. Although the one I remember was about Tifa and Cloud, not Aeris. So yarr.

The one about Aeris is Cloud/Aeris-y
    plus those lil short stories really suck and most fanfiction is actually better!! hah, The one about Yuffie is just dreadful, really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishikabob View Post

he loved Aeris but she died, Tifa is a great friend to him and they have a chance at a happy relationship together. It's simple, a person can often love more than one person
    I agree on the last bit but what makes you think Tifa is just a friend?

Oh sorry maybe i wasn't clear, I meant in FFVII she seems mainly like a friend and although she is aware that there was something between Cloud/Aeris she was still a friend to both of them, she is so loyal to Cloud and its obvious that she loves him and i think with time Cloud loves her too and he definatley had a crush on her as a kid. But then he meets Aeris who was sweet and funny and beautiful and he fell for her because things were ambigous with Tifa at the start of the game. I think his future love and relationship lies with Tifa.
    But If Aeris hadn't have died then things might have been different, Cloud and Aeris just seemed to click and it was lighthearted and easy chemistry until tradegy struck.
    He loved both of them at different times but his future happiness lies with Tifa.
    Last edited by PeneloRatsbane; 11-18-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

But If Aeris hadn't have died then things might have been different, Cloud and Aeris just seemed to click and it was lighthearted and easy chemistry until tradegy struck.
    I really think if the Lifestream Event happened, Cloud would have gone with Tifa even if Aerith was still alive. But yes I agree, they had chemistry, that seemed pretty obvious to me.
    "In FFVII fandom, love triangle debates are considered especially heinous. In this fandom, the dedicated Clotis and Cleriths who engage in these vicious debates are members of an elite forum known as the The Forgotten City.

Do you think chemistry is one person basically attaching themselves to the other person constantly while that person can't breathe w/o being pulled along somewhere? That sounds like Cloud and Aeris to me =/

Quote Originally Posted by Shishikabob View Post
    I really think if the Lifestream Event happened, Cloud would have gone with Tifa even if Aerith was still alive. But yes I agree, they had chemistry, that seemed pretty obvious to me.
    Hmm you see i don't know whether i agree with that first point, I'd like to think that after everything Cloud and Tifa went thru that he would choose her, but at the end of the game he was thinking about Aeris ("Lets go see her" or whatever he said when Tifa hoists him up)
    Just imagine having the chance to have someone you lost back alive once again in your world, I mean i think that would be too tempting. With Zack long gone I think Aeris and Cloud would have got together.
    But she didn't come back, dead is dead and so its a moot point. Tifa is the one he should be with now, and that doesn't cheapen his past relationship with Aeris or his original feelings for Tifa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
    Do you think chemistry is one person basically attaching themselves to the other person constantly while that person can't breathe w/o being pulled along somewhere? That sounds like Cloud and Aeris to me =/
    No I mean the way they banter around, lil flirty bits. The begining of the game is sort of lighthearted, Going round her mums house, Cloud and Aeris hanging out in the slums dressing Cloud up. Gold Saucer (I know, I know you can date three others), When she is murdered things start getting darker, obviously, but you know what i mean.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

The thing at the end wasn't about romance, it was 'Hey, let's go meet a fallen friend, Tifa'

In any case, which 'Aerith' one do you refer to? Maiden, or CoLW?

Because Maiden doesn't count AND is C/T in the end, and COLW is only her perspective.
    All the flirty bits you talk about... aren't. Her mom's house he sneaks out of to go meet Tifa. The cross dressing, was to save Tifa. Even the Gold Saucer shows no real interest from Cloud. There may or may not be chemistry, but there's certainly no intent.

Tifa is the one he should be with now, and that doesn't cheapen his past relationship with Aeris or his original feelings for Tifa.
    He had a relationship with Aerith?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It should be noted that 'relationship' doesn't always mean 'girlfriend and boyfriend'. It also can be used for friends, family, work colleagues, etc.

EDIT: As for flirting, there are occasions where you can say different things to different characters and I fully believe that the intent for FFVII was for you to be able to 'direct' Cloud towards one character or another. That also goes some way to explain why you can have different dates - the character of Cloud is not set in stone, and that is why he doesn't display many emotions throughout. I don't believe they (SE) would ever do anything to make Cloud's long-term love interest 'concrete'. They wouldn't say "No, he didn't love ____, he loved ____." Never. Because that would alienate a large amount of their fanbase. The whole intent of SE is for people to do a lot of the development of Cloud themselves. So there probably isn't a 'wrong' answer. However, the right answer is still Tifa because she was more of a romance than a cheap fling with a floozy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I was assuming he meant romantic in that case because he was talking about them flirting and what not, but if he didn't, then it's my bad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Edited the above post, btw.

So there probably isn't a 'wrong' answer.
    Yes there is, Square has pretty much hammered us over the head with CxT. Maybe it wasn't apparent in the game, I agree with that, but it is crystal clear now. ... yeah see what I said above

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Did they at any point say "But Cloud never loved Aeris" or anything? I still think there's a reason that people debate this. I mean, I agree that Tifa is the 'more right' answer, but saying that there is proof that Cloud never loved Aeris is I think a little over the top.

And Aeris is still a slag.

Well while I agree that they never said "Cloud never loved Aerith." but if he did or not is really up to how you played the game. There's no solid evidence that he actually DID love Aerith... nada, none, zero, zip, zilch, sorry but try again later. You could maybe make a case for Clerith if you played the game that way, but if you take out all optional evidence, you really have nothing for Clerith.

I think you're arguing two entirely different things.

Loony is saying Disc 1 Cloud is a cypher of the player, to shove whims in as they like. This is true.

Shishi is saying Disc 1 Cloud, AS a Cypher, does not matter, or at least all the optional dialogues do not count, as none of the decisions are 'canon'- Arguably, Tifa's date is, having been in two Square released compilations of the script, but pfeh- and that the real meat and potatos comes when the illusion of choice is removed from the player, when he breaks down and we learn his true self and motivations. This is also true.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'd agree with that. I think we agree on most things, really. EDIT: The above post wasn't there when I posted. I was replying to Shishi.

Also, for whoever brought up the "Let's go see Aeris" thing or whatever being a sign he loved her or something - okay, say someone is really into you. Major styles. They're your friend. You're into someone else, also a friend but (as it turns out) eventually more than that. But the someone who is into you dies. Now, do you just completely ignore that for the rest of your life or are you affected? You'd be pretty cruel if you didn't have strong feelings of sadness, I tells ya.

...I was pretty cruel, I celebrated. >_>; Heh. But yeah, my point is that yes, he will always feel a strong sense of sadness that Aeris died and will probably think of her from time to time on a deep level. That's normal. But anyone who says these are definite signs of romance are incorrect, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: As for the above post, I would say that it's impossible to say one date is canon while the others are not... the game itself is the main storyline and the others are additions to it. To say that the main game was played out incorrectly by someone or anything along those lines is silly. The main game, as you play it, is the storyline for that game's play-through.

Anything else may or may not be canon, but it's possible that SE can make mistakes by referring to something that may not have happened in one person's game. The game itself is how you play it, that is the main storyline for anyone and you can't change the way that specific play-through panned out. It'll always be canon in that play-through. You can't just say "Oh, that never happened" about the main game. They can, however, argue that there are alternate realities and that the rest of the canon games/videos/etc are based on one of those realities. Which is as accurate as you can get, I guess, as to what is happening with the series.

Sort of like those old Choose Your Own Adventure books they had. You can't say one storyline is accurate and the others aren't. They're in the book, they're there, it just so happens that you can have multiple stories from the same book. In FFVII's case, they generally end up the same anyway (ie Cloud is with Tifa).

But this is probably getting into things a bit much. My answer to the original question of the thread is that Tifa is Cloud's main love interest. However, I can understand how people can say that Cloud would have actually gone for the one which was more willing to jump into bed with him at the time, and for them, maybe Aeris was the love interest while she was still alive. But that's part of the greatness of FFVII: You can choose what to believe yourself, not everything is written in stone.

EDIT: Long edit. This is possibly the longest post I've made on FF games in aaaaaaaaages. xD
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 11-19-2009 at 10:51 AM.