Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Greek text

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    So, Square wastes time on typing the text and putting it over there because it's not significant? Not to mention that they were in a hurry to finish VIII?

Yeah, okay.
    Do you know anything about Japan at all? It's extremely common for them to use words in other languages-- especially English-- in music and games if not only because they 'look cool' to them-- and it's often used incorrectly, has many errors, and is completely out-of-context. It's the same with the Greek text. It's already been proven that everything else is gibberish. The fact that there happened to be one legitimate word in there has no significance whatsoever.

Allow me to emulate your hilariously broken logic.

alkfldkfnaskjfndsjkkssubsalkjdslkjsdacsdocnweoinviewufdsalkf

There. I just pressed a bunch of keys on my keyboard, and oh, look. I see the words 'sub', 'salk' (twice, even!) and 'view' in there. I made a few unintentional legitimate words, and therefore the hidden meaning behind my bull gibberish is something about Jonas Salk viewing submarines.
    Last edited by Momiji; 12-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.

We use VIII's common sense, not our actual common sense.
    That is pricelessly illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cid View Post
    We use VIII's common sense, not our actual common sense.
    That is pricelessly illogical.
    No, it isn't. When playing the game, you're supposed to be held captive inside its universe. You think and feel inside that universe. Using our actual common sense to feel, judge, etc while playing the game is actually illogical. Our real world isn't VIII.

Yes, BG-57, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji
    Do you know anything about Japan at all? It's extremely common for them to use words in other languages-- especially English-- in music and games if not only because they 'look cool' to them-- and it's often used incorrectly, has many errors, and is completely out-of-context. It's the same with the Greek text. It's already been proven that everything else is gibberish. The fact that there happened to be one legitimate word in there has no significance whatsoever.

Allow me to emulate your hilariously broken logic.

alkfldkfnaskjfndsjkkssubsalkjdslkjsdacsd ocnweoinviewufdsalkf

There. I just pressed a bunch of keys on my keyboard, and oh, look. I see the words 'sub', 'salk' (twice, even!) and 'view' in there. I made a few unintentional legitimate words, and therefore the hidden meaning behind my bull gibberish is something about Jonas Salk viewing submarines.
    Not really. That 'alkfldkfnaskjfndsjkkssubsalkjdslkjsdacsd ocnweoinviewufdsalkf' of yours is no where near the mentioned line.
    Last edited by Serapy; 12-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

But it makes just as much sense, if not more.

No, it isn't. When playing the game, you're supposed to be held captive inside its universe. You think and feel inside that universe. Using our actual common sense to feel, judge, etc while playing the game is actually illogical. Our real world isn't VIII.

Yes, BG-57, that's it.
    Using internal logic, there's even less reason to assume there is any meaning, outside of a serial number.

Not really. That 'alkfldkfnaskjfndsjkkssubsalkjdslkjsdacsd ocnweoinviewufdsalkf' of yours is no where near the mentioned line.
    Yes it is. In fact, it's arguably more 'word' to 'dummy' than the letters in game.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Serapy, you've suceeding in making at least one theory I can understand then; something Future Esthar was never able to do. So congrats on that!

The reason I wanted to clarify that point is the fact that what we have been discussing is externalities. Presumably, the text means something to the characters, but that doesn't automatically follow that it has meaning for us the players beyond aesthetic value.

No, actually if I ever want to make someone's head explode I will show them that arguement.