Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Worst World To Live In

Oh, golly, I suppose I'll live in VIII's, maybe give that huge ass Cactuar a visit.

I'd say the worst is VII's. Things weren't too awesome to begin with and Advent Children shows us the aftermath is pretty smurfed up. A world where Denzel looks like Roxas' little sister and yet has no keyblade? No, I... I can't bear it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Noctiluca, I love you... That Denzel/Roxas joke was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Yunalesca's speech explains quite clearly why the people of Spira haven't become cold, detached psychopaths. They always had hope. For a thousand years Sin has been killing them all and for a thousand years they were promised it wold end someday. They believed this promise so to them, Sin wasn't "an inevitable part of Spira's destiny." It was something that could be fought and conquered. They truly believed this.

...only it couldn't. At leas tnot the way they were told. So with every destruction of Sin they gained about ten years of hope that this time it would be gone. Only of course it wasn't.
    Hope is not going to erase years of traumatic experiences. Had it been a hundred years, you might have had an argument but we're talking a millennium of dealing with this. The people could have hope it might go away but it doesn't change the fact that the constant state of death would have traumatized the society and it would have adapted in a way that would create a detached society.

When every day could be your last, you are not likely to develop deep, meaningful relationships. Even if the children are not completely indoctrinated into society, the events of their childhood would most likely scar them for life and their minds would cope most likely in a negative (by our modern standards) way.

Most people don't want to die and even more people don't want their families to die. Living under the constant threat that you and everything you lov ewill be destroyed is utterly depressing. And the people of Spira had to endure that for far longer than any other world in an FF game.

I believe my relatives went to Heaven. It doesn't mean I'm okay with them dying. It doesn't matter what afterlife awaits you. Seeing someone you love die is always going to be heartbreaking.
    The problem is, that is even true now. We like to believe we will all go live to be old and die in our sleep but the fact of the matter is that some of us may not make it home tomorrow. Our friends and loved ones may not make it home. Death is not some calamity that only strikes the unlikely. It can strike anyone at any time. I myself could have a mysterious brain anerism after I make this post and be gone and honestly, its not going to change anything. We can die at any moment, we have no certainty of our lifespans. Life is full of amusing ironies of people who live healthy and exercise only to die at age 33 from a pre-existing medical condition.

Death is our only certainty in life, if you live in a society that experiences it every moment, you adapt and accept it. Spira doesn't, and its not because they are hopeful its more of the writers not thinking things through. Still, I feel that having a perfect understanding of death and the afterlife would make death much less frightening. Its not like you are truly gone and you no longer have to fear the nagging doubt. Besides, I've seen people suffering in their final moments and I find their deaths to be comforting cause at least they are no longer in pain. In Spira, its the dead who should be mourning the living not the other way around.

Even then, I can't say the "suffering" Sin inflicted on Spira was truly terrible. Sin only indirectly destroyed Kilika and the Crusaders were the ones started their fight with Sin. I sometimes wonder if Sin cause problems in Spira willfully or by this point in time his mere existence is a burden on the planet. Despite causing so much rampant destruction, Spira is kind of a nice scenic place. Its not a wasteland like other FF worlds. Despite killing people, humanity and the other races are pretty prevalent. This is not something a simple ten years could fix, instead I would say Spira has learned to manage with Sin when he's actually around.

I don't really feel Sin goes out of its way to destroy life anymore, since Yu-Yevon lost his mind. Chances are its existence is the only thing that causes problems and by that point I feel Sin is more or less a natural phenomena (which makes total sense because X is based off of Asian culture) no more accountable for its actions like an earthquake. To me, living in X's world would be like living in rural Japan, where I have to deal with earthquakes and Tsunamis at a moments notice except I know when I die where I will go cause I can actually go there and see my families pyreflies. Can't say I find anything remotely depressing about that.

In the end, the problem here is that I have a pecualiar concept of death and for me, its hardly a morbid or scary thing.

VIII, the towns are stylish and those trains are classy. Plus massive flying garden schools. Parts of that world seem really nice and peaceful, like Winhill.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

FFVIII, definately. Of all the places in FF I'd like to live in, it'd be Dollet.

FFVIII, obviously. Balamb, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Hope is not going to erase years of traumatic experiences. Had it been a hundred years, you might have had an argument but we're talking a millennium of dealing with this. The people could have hope it might go away but it doesn't change the fact that the constant state of death would have traumatized the society and it would have adapted in a way that would create a detached society.

When every day could be your last, you are not likely to develop deep, meaningful relationships. Even if the children are not completely indoctrinated into society, the events of their childhood would most likely scar them for life and their minds would cope most likely in a negative (by our modern standards) way.

The problem is, that is even true now. We like to believe we will all go live to be old and die in our sleep but the fact of the matter is that some of us may not make it home tomorrow. Our friends and loved ones may not make it home. Death is not some calamity that only strikes the unlikely. It can strike anyone at any time. I myself could have a mysterious brain anerism after I make this post and be gone and honestly, its not going to change anything. We can die at any moment, we have no certainty of our lifespans. Life is full of amusing ironies of people who live healthy and exercise only to die at age 33 from a pre-existing medical condition.

Death is our only certainty in life, if you live in a society that experiences it every moment, you adapt and accept it. Spira doesn't, and its not because they are hopeful its more of the writers not thinking things through. Still, I feel that having a perfect understanding of death and the afterlife would make death much less frightening. Its not like you are truly gone and you no longer have to fear the nagging doubt. Besides, I've seen people suffering in their final moments and I find their deaths to be comforting cause at least they are no longer in pain. In Spira, its the dead who should be mourning the living not the other way around.

Even then, I can't say the "suffering" Sin inflicted on Spira was truly terrible. Sin only indirectly destroyed Kilika and the Crusaders were the ones started their fight with Sin. I sometimes wonder if Sin cause problems in Spira willfully or by this point in time his mere existence is a burden on the planet. Despite causing so much rampant destruction, Spira is kind of a nice scenic place. Its not a wasteland like other FF worlds. Despite killing people, humanity and the other races are pretty prevalent. This is not something a simple ten years could fix, instead I would say Spira has learned to manage with Sin when he's actually around.

I don't really feel Sin goes out of its way to destroy life anymore, since Yu-Yevon lost his mind. Chances are its existence is the only thing that causes problems and by that point I feel Sin is more or less a natural phenomena (which makes total sense because X is based off of Asian culture) no more accountable for its actions like an earthquake. To me, living in X's world would be like living in rural Japan, where I have to deal with earthquakes and Tsunamis at a moments notice except I know when I die where I will go cause I can actually go there and see my families pyreflies. Can't say I find anything remotely depressing about that.

In the end, the problem here is that I have a pecualiar concept of death and for me, its hardly a morbid or scary thing.
    I'd like to throw out here that in FFX not everyone believes that the Farplane is the afterlife. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember the Al Bhed claim that when you visit loved ones at the Farplane, the pyreflies are merely reacting to the images you have in your head: who you expect to see is who you see. Remember that Yuna is (essentially) in the papacy of their world and therefore has slanted views. It's kind of like how psychics can tell you that your mom says she's great and she loves you. Not everyone is going to buy it, even if it's real.

Another thing is that I felt that Sin wasn't really extraordinary: the whole point of FFX was that Sin symbolized exactly what you were saying: any of us can die at any time. Sin was, essentially, death incarnate. Yuna learned through the game that in order to conquer death she had to learn how to believe in her own abilities and discard the dogma passed down to her. Maybe not the most complex lesson, but it worked very well.

Considering that was the message, your kind of flippant view on death is somewhat disturbing. Just because cancer is not actively murdering millions doesn't mean it isn't terrible.
    俺は人間なのか?

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Barraza View Post
    Just because cancer is not actively murdering millions doesn't mean it isn't terrible.
    Yes, but cancer has been around forever, and it is a known evil. If another cause of death were to suddenly appear with a similar death rate it would be viewed as immensely more catastrophic.

To me it seemed like Sin was just part of the world, and it was in balance. Sure it was terrible, but it was in no danger of destroying the world anytime soon. Had your party not interfered in the events of FFX it would still be chugging along just the same. Now compare that to just about every other FF world which was basically threatened with complete annihilation, and Sin looks like a blessing in comparison.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ This is my point exactly, I never really felt that Sin was going to wipe out Spira, just meander around causing destruction like any other natural phenomena like Earthquakes and Tsunamis. Spira's healthy population levels and prevalence of different races tell me that the people have adapted and survived and thus Spira is in no real threat of total annihilation like they were when ExDeath took the Void or Sephiroth summoned Meteor. Throw in how much Sin is one of the least proactive "death machine" in the series and at this point I feel the people are whining. Its not like other FFs where I'm racing to save the world from the worst case scenario or seen it come to past and am now trying to save the last little shred of it. Sin appears causes some problems, gets destroyed, comes back. Just like any other natural disaster.

Pyreflies are the remains of the soul and they gather in the Farplane. Yes you can't visit your relatives but it was shown you know your relatives are there cause they can only take the form of the dead (hence why Tidus only saw his mother and not Jecht, despite the entire idea of summoning the souls of dreams is utterly ridiculous) and X-2 later confirms this even more by Nojima and Kitase hinting to the fact that the Farplane is like VII's Lifestream (despite the fact they came up with this idea on a lark in the middle of development of X-2 and the fact that both the Farplane and Lifestream are shown in each game to work radically different from a cosmological standpoint ). So it pretty much is the afterlife on the planet and its a scenic one as well.

As for my views of death, I've just come to terms with it and treat it like any other natural phenomena. I don't see the point of fearing the inevitable.

^ This is my point exactly, I never really felt that Sin was going to wipe out Spira, just meander around causing destruction like any other natural phenomena like Earthquakes and Tsunamis. Spira's healthy population levels and prevalence of different races tell me that the people have adapted and survived and thus Spira is in no real threat of total annihilation like they were when ExDeath took the Void or Sephiroth summoned Meteor. Throw in how much Sin is one of the least proactive "death machine" in the series and at this point I feel the people are whining. Its not like other FFs where I'm racing to save the world from the worst case scenario or seen it come to past and am now trying to save the last little shred of it. Sin appears causes some problems, gets destroyed, comes back. Just like any other natural disaster.
    While that's true, it's tied up in their religious beliefs that this can actually go away. I know that we in America (I assume you're American) don't feel much fear of this, but if the people sincerely believed that tsunamis would go away if they prayed really hard, it'd be seen as a lot more urgent to defeat. This is the whole reason why messianic beliefs are so prevalent. I guess that total annihalation is worse than Sin, but Sin, being ongoing and (apparently) stoppable, makes it kind of sad.
    Pyreflies are the remains of the soul and they gather in the Farplane. Yes you can't visit your relatives but it was shown you know your relatives are there cause they can only take the form of the dead (hence why Tidus only saw his mother and not Jecht, despite the entire idea of summoning the souls of dreams is utterly ridiculous) and X-2 later confirms this even more by Nojima and Kitase hinting to the fact that the Farplane is like VII's Lifestream (despite the fact they came up with this idea on a lark in the middle of development of X-2 and the fact that both the Farplane and Lifestream are shown in each game to work radically different from a cosmological standpoint ). So it pretty much is the afterlife on the planet and its a scenic one as well.
    That's true, the Farplane is real. That doesn't mean that everyone believes that, though. That's my point.
    As for my views of death, I've just come to terms with it and treat it like any other natural phenomena. I don't see the point of fearing the inevitable.
    That's very brave, but wait until death is at your doorpost and then feel strongly like that. That isn't mocking, by the way. And while I'm sure the vast amount of people in the world of Spira don't actively fear Sin for the same reasons you do not fear death, that doesn't change the fact that, when face to face with Sin, they might actually be terrified, inevitable death or not.
    俺は人間なのか?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I'm afraid you overestimate the intelligence or fortitude of our species. If all those people with guns were killed and all the biggest cities in the world were leveled, most already hardcore christians and followers of other religions would be convinced the only thing left to do was pray. Appeasement was a big deal only last century and that was just to avoid a war with Hitler. To appease the unstoppablE killing machine? I can see the whole population bending over backwards to do it
    Fixed.

Seriously, I doubt any atheist or other non-religious person would become a christian if the church says "it's a test of god", even if the biggest cities are all leveled by this giant whale. Really. The already "strong belivers" might go even more hardcore, but the non-religious would most likely either try to deal with the problem or hide, even in that kind of situation, rather than falling on his/her knees praying.

...putting that aside, I'd probably love to live in the world of FFVIII. First of all, because it seems overall more peaceful than any other FF world. Secondly, because Triple Triad is the shiawt!

And as much as I love FFVI as a game, that's the worst world to live in by far... for obvious reasons.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Well VIII is the most peaceful. I'd just chill all day in Balamb and go fishing in the afternoon.

Worst to me is... probably VII. I just felt a coldness associated with that world.

Str8 Pimpin'

While the Farplane may be the primary hub of the afterlife in FFX, it's not necessarily a glamorous one, regardless of the scenery. Yes, the pyreflies travel there after a deceased is sent; however, I never saw it as involving the consciousness of the deceased. Pyreflies are merely the matter that comprise a Spiran's being, and do not retain the minds of their former selves. A deceased can only retain his or her mind if they manage to remain as an unsent. This fits the Al Bhed theory of pyreflies reacting to the memory. As spiritual entities, they come into contact with the minds and memories of those who visit the Farplane and in turn coalesce to resemble the physical form of a dead loved one.

Still, I fail to see how death could be any less painful in Spira. The act of dying is no different than it is here. Even though family and friends of the deceased may visit one's form in the Farplane, communication is one-sided. It's a glorified version of looking at an old photo.

As for the comments of being unsent and remaining as a fiend - that's just disturbing. There are two possibilities for the mindset of the fiend: one retains his awareness upon death or doesn't. Either situation is unappealing. If one were to retain his old sense of self, then he'd be fully aware that he had become a monster, and would have to endure death repeatedly at the hands of traveling guardians. Then, there's the possibility of the loss of consciousness, which is the hypothesis in which I believe. The dead just become fiends and run rampant... soulless. Truly, the issue of death in FFX is grim.

As for the pertinent topic, I'd prefer to live in the world of FFVIII, particularly in Winhill because it's so gorgeous in peaceful, and I'd play Triple Triad all night long. Aside from that, I'd like to live in Gaia from FFIX... about 5 years after the events of the game, when everything would be settled. That is, by far, the most beautiful world in the series, so full of depth.

Rye made this!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait, I think FF VIII gotto be one the worst world cause the monsters there dun drop money!

THIS ISN'T LOGICAL AT ALL!? HOW CAN MONSTERS NOT CARRY LOAD OF CASH AND DROP IT TO US WHEN THEY DIE!?

Contributions

When was the last time you went out and slew a wild animal anyways?

But then again, I might think twice about kicking that pigeon that lands on the street in front of me if I knew it might drop a buck or two

(For the sake of humor I'm assuming that most people who post on FF forums are people who don't regularly go out into the bush hunting. Could be wrong)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I agree with X being pretty normal. Wolf kanno hit it right on the money

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Wait, I think FF VIII gotto be one the worst world cause the monsters there dun drop money!

THIS ISN'T LOGICAL AT ALL!? HOW CAN MONSTERS NOT CARRY LOAD OF CASH AND DROP IT TO US WHEN THEY DIE!?
    Once you've become a SeeD, you can just sit around doing nothing and still get paid every half hour or so though, so it's not like money will be a problem. And best of all: the monsters can be turned into freaking TRADING CARDS! =D