Thread: The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    hell, i like the harry potter movies but you dont see me obssesing over something i wasnt originaly apart of.
    ... so unless you know of a series from the very beginning, there's limits to how much you can like it? Are there official fan rules posted somewhere?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Was it DELIBERATELY aimed at that audience or has it just fallen that way becuse the woman has the vocabulary and emotional intelligence of an early emo teen? It's open to question.
    It was the wet dream of a Mormon housewife. While it's poorly written, it's a masterpiece of sexual tension and forbidden love. Women are into sexual tension and forbidden love like men are into stupid like wrestling and football.

I mean, seriously, do you even know any girls?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    ...it's a masterpiece of sexual tension and forbidden love...
    I'm not sure that's the right word to use.

I should go find that youtube video again, of the fat girl getting pissed at Stephen King for calling Meyer a bad writer...

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    As a grown man, I feel qualified to comment on the quality of a novel and movie series aimed at young teenage girls. You will surely find it valuable to read my criticisms. Number one,
    Continue...

I thought anyone over the age of 21 wasn't allowed to like this series.

I'm all for liking some of the kind of stupid, "epic" series that are hitting the big screen. I watched The Matrix, I watched Star Wars, I even watched every Harry Potter in theaters (and enjoyed the books, even). Add to that a (very embarrassing) love of Anne Rice, and all of her novels.

But these movies don't do anything for me. Even a little.

At first I judged them to be romance novels masquerading as vampire fiction. Then I realized (after reading about half of the first book and watching bits and pieces of the terrible movie) that they're not even attempting to masquerade as vampire fiction, really. It's like saying that you can read (or watch) the Narnia Chronicles and separate it from Christianity. Any adult in the western world will immediately realize The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is just a reboot of the NT, and likewise that Twilight is nothing more than the deluded fantasies of a melodramatic woman who used vampires as a symbol, not of twisted evil, not of separation from God or humanity, but - wait for it - unrequited love.

God, it's like she missed the point when she was forced to read Dracula in eleventh grade.
    俺は人間なのか?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    ...it's a masterpiece of sexual tension and forbidden love...
    I'm not sure that's the right word to use.

I should go find that youtube video again, of the fat girl getting pissed at Stephen King for calling Meyer a bad writer...
    That was a great video. NuttyMadam is indeed nutty.

The author may suck at writing, may have a retarded vocabulary, may write characters about as deep as a wet sack, but she nailed the sexual tension. That's why women read it. Very few love stories tease in that way. Either the main couple sleep together fairly early, or the book ends with one soft kiss. The Twilight saga teases and taunts us until the fourth book, where they have sex. A lot. We dig it.

Was it DELIBERATELY aimed at that audience or has it just fallen that way becuse the woman has the vocabulary and emotional intelligence of an early emo teen? It's open to question.
    It was the wet dream of a Mormon housewife. While it's poorly written, it's a masterpiece of sexual tension and forbidden love. Women are into sexual tension and forbidden love like men are into stupid like wrestling and football.

I mean, seriously, do you even know any girls?
    Nope never met one. They aren't attracted to me at all & I woouldn't know how to keep then interested even if they were. I presume that's the answer you're looking for right? But seriously if a demon posseses me and I do start getting into 14 year old girls I'll be sure to check books out for pointers.

The author may suck at writing, may have a retarded vocabulary, may write characters about as deep as a wet sack, but she nailed the sexual tension. That's why women read it. Very few love stories tease in that way. Either the main couple sleep together fairly early, or the book ends with one soft kiss. The Twilight saga teases and taunts us until the fourth book, where they have sex. A lot. We dig it.
    Don't forget the part where he beats the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of her and a pillow during the sex.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope never met one. They aren't attracted to me at all & I woouldn't know how to keep then interested even if they were. I presume that's the answer you're looking for right? But seriously if a demon posseses me and I do start getting into 14 year old girls I'll be sure to check books out for pointers.
    It's interesting that you seem to know so much about books that aren't geared towards you and you've never read.

No one has claimed that the books are good. We like them for totally trashy reasons. And, really, young girls should not be reading these. I'm sure everything you like is super classy, but some of us like to slum it with mindless entertainment once in a while.

Now that's enough of the snotty 'tude; your high horse is leaving without you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Don't forget the part where he beats the out of her and a pillow during the sex.
    That was so hot.

It's interesting that you seem to know so much about books that aren't geared towards you and you've never read.

No one has claimed that the books are good. We like them for totally trashy reasons. And, really, young girls should not be reading these. I'm sure everything you like is super classy, but some of us like to slum it with mindless entertainment once in a while.

Now that's enough of the snotty 'tude; your high horse is leaving without you..
    Nothing snotty about me at all. I'm forming an opinion on something that differs from yours therefore I'm deserving of attempted swipes and attempted belittling. It has been you who's been acting aloof and petty, not me. I'm attacking the author not the audience.

And I know about the series because it's impossible not to know about the series.

Certain things you said have seemed to back up what I was saying though. You say young teens should not read them but the books are so clearly at that level. Which means the author really WASN'T aiming there but landed there because of the pathetic prose.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Shlup says young teens shouldn't read them and that means the author wasn't attempting to write a book for young teens? I don't understand.

Whether she was or not, that's where it ended up. The Da Vinci Code is written about as poorly, with horrid descriptions on all levels and Goosebumps-esque 'cliff-hangers' at the end of too many chapters, but that's a book marketed at adults. And I think that's probably the clincher there; marketing. I don't think too many authors (especially new, unknown and unestablished writers) have very much say on how the book is marketed or who it should be aimed at; they'll just be happy it's selling.

There are many many poorly written books made for adults, and even more made for kids.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nothing snotty about me at all. I'm forming an opinion on something that differs from yours therefore I'm deserving of attempted swipes and attempted belittling.
    My opinion is based on reading the books and watching the movies. Your opinion is based on...?

And telling anyone that their "opinion on anything immediately becomes about as warrented [sic] as a grey pube." is pretty belittling. It's not entirely untrue, as anyone who feels these books and movies are actually good is a super sad person, but belittling nonetheless.

It has been you who's been acting aloof and petty, not me.
    You've interrupted the discussion of this series to come in and judge everyone who finds it enjoyable. If you don't think that's aloof or petty, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm attacking the author not the audience.
    Perhaps not attacking, but definitely judging. What makes you so qualified to judge? So you don't like the series; you are perfectly entitled to that opinion. No one's even denying that it's a ty series. What you are not entitled to do is judge everyone who enjoys the series and tell us our business. I am a grown woman who likes the occasional trashy romance, and I don't see why I should "reign it in" or why you have any business telling me to do so.

Now if you'd like to explain why you don't like the books or movies, go ahead. It's unlikely anyone here will even want to refute you.

Certain things you said have seemed to back up what I was saying though. You say young teens should not read them but the books are so clearly at that level. Which means the author really WASN'T aiming there but landed there because of the pathetic prose.
    What's your point? I've already agreed that the books are a model of "pathetic prose."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah but if you keep agreeing that the books suck, then we've got nothing left but to belittle you. And Twilight has obviously turned what little was left of your brain to mush.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

One of these days I'm gonna find something ty that you like anyway, and I will mock you unmerciful.

I'm amazed at how many people who hated the first one are going back for seconds.