Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sword of Truth Series (AKA RaistlinxTheMan luvluv)

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll check out the show first then.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

So just watched episode 10 of season 2...Honestly, season 2 is starting to get weird. (sidenote: I'm at Soul of Fire in the series, though I haven;t really touched it in ages).

Some stuff that annoys me is that they have to this point made the fact that Richard is both (SPOILER)Lord Rahl and a wizard completely irrelevant. I mean Nicci (SPOILER)took his han then got killed with it. Unless they said it magically went back to Richard, it seems like he is no longer a wizard anymore which sorta makes me wonder what the heck they are going to do in relation to the books.

Also, Anne is a WAY better character in the books. The TV show makes her a completely blind zealot.

TV!Cara is pretty solid but I found her interest in Leo was rushed even if Khalin mentioned that they've been travelling together for weeks. It doesn't feel that much time had passed. Book!Cara is way more fun.

Also, WTF is up with Zedd? He has never been my favourite character but I still find the TV version a bit annoying.

I also want the Mud People to appear, I always enjoyed them.

On the plus side TV!Richard is way less self-righteous than Book!Richard has become. Also, Book!Richard wears too much black. Has he heard of colour? Then again some guys think that "colours" mean navy, shades of grey, black and white.

This turned out way more of a rant than I meant to. x-x;

What does everyone have against Zedd anyway? - I like him.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Future spoilerNicci will be back (recast) so I'm sure Richard will get his Han back.

That spider thing freaked me the smurf out.

ETA: Yeah I like Zedd too.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    So just watched episode 10 of season 2...Honestly, season 2 is starting to get weird. (sidenote: I'm at Soul of Fire in the series, though I haven;t really touched it in ages).
    SotF is really boring at all the non-Richard parts, but the next book, FotF, is great. You should at least get to that one.

Also, WTF is up with Zedd? He has never been my favourite character but I still find the TV version a bit annoying.
    Yeah, Zedd's casting was disappointing.

On the plus side TV!Richard is way less self-righteous than Book!Richard has become. Also, Book!Richard wears too much black. Has he heard of colour?
    He wears gold! That's color!

Quote Originally Posted by Breine
    What does everyone have against Zedd anyway? - I like him.
    He is a pale, annoying shadow to Book-Zedd. It's not so much the writing as the actor; he just doesn't fit at all into the book's portrayal of the character, and has a negative impact on his style. On the other hand, for a positive example, the show did about as well a casting job as possible on Kahlan and Cara.

Quote Originally Posted by Shluppers
    That spider thing freaked me the smurf out.
    Yeah, seriously.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    SotF is really boring at all the non-Richard parts, but the next book, FotF, is great. You should at least get to that one.
    I just realized that I am farther in the series than that...Wow, it really has been a long time since I picked up the books. I'm actually at Pillars of Creation. When I thought about it, I realized I had already done the whole (SPOILER)chimes deal and Nicci kidnapping Richard then turning back to the Light.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

PoC can seem boring, and the Jennsen/Sebastian parts do stretch out for a bit, but overall it's probably one of the best written books in the series. I appreciated it for what it is a lot more on my second read-through of the series than the first time. After that you might as well stop, because NE and on is terrible.

Also, Nicci is a great character in FotF.

Aha. I have not read the books, so I have no idea what Book-Zedd is like (i.e. I don't have a preconceived opinion on the character). All I know is that I like TV-Zedd. - the tall, long-limbed and odd-looking man that he is. He has a nice presence too, I think.

So as far as I'm concerned they did a nice job casting him *shrug*

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

FoTF is by far my favorite book in the series and Nicci is also one of my favorite characters.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, I have a question.

The show hasn't really addressed this, but maybe the books have? Why is it that EVERYONE ends up in what is basically hell? It seems like it doesn't matter if you're a good guy or a bad guy, you still wind up in this green pit of sweaty writhing bodies. What gives? And why would the Keeper dude even want to take over the world of the living, if everyone is going to end up at the party at his house anyway?

I kinda remember in Season 1, that the underworld and the afterlife could be peaceful, but they seem to have done away with that concept?

Makes the whole thing rather pointless.

There seems to be no point for Richard & Co. to do what they're doing when they're all going to end up in that cesspool.
    Last edited by Miriel; 02-03-2010 at 08:24 AM.

FFXIV Character

From my understanding of it, the Underworld in Sword of Truth is different from it's TV counterpart. In the books, there are mentioning of various areas of the Underworld. Some are deep within and close to the Keeper (like the green Hell-hole the TV shows) while there are other areas further away where the good spirits dwell and such.

The TV series makes the Keeper a more active, antagonizing force whereas in the books both the Keeper and Creator are more neutral for the most part (at least as far as I read).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The Keeper is not really "more neutral," but simply has a less active role in the entirety of the afterlife. As TSoL pointed out, there is a limit to the Keeper's powers, and "good" people end up in a more quiet, peaceful place away from his torment.

The ones that do end up in "hell" are often there because of their own choice. For example, in the book the Sisters of the Dark are terrified of dying before they accomplish their mission of freeing the Keeper, because if they die (fail), then they go straight to the Keeper because of their pledge. Also, the book makes being tormented by the Keeper sound much worse than the TV show.

I don't know why the TV show decided to make everyone end up in this purgatory-type place for all eternity. Maybe to help further the baneling plot.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I really liked last week's episode, but next week's looks like it may just be the best episode of all time ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I just looked up the trailer for it in response to your post. It was not at all explicit but did strongly suggest a sex scene, which I assume is all you paid attention to.

EDIT: I also thought last week's episode was kinda lame. What with Richard just randomly waking up and (SPOILER)Leo dying just in time and all. Very corny.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well the rest of the trailer was from previous episodes and the only new stuff was like "HEY SEX TIME" so what the hell else would I pay attention to? You think I'm watching this show because it makes me think? I watch it because it's hot.

Last week's episode was good, dammit! He didn't randomly wake up, he realized it wasn't real and broke the spell. Duh.